11:30 seems to be the earliest time slot now

So this past Dec we were on Symphony and had a 11:30 am check in, but we were in a suite so we showed up at 10:30 am and still had to stand in line until about 11:00 before the port even opened up.

We sat in the suite lounge until about 11:30 before boarding even started.

So even if you get an early boarding time you may end up not even getting on the ship until 11:30 or later.

29 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

So this past Dec we were on Symphony and had a 11:30 am check in, but we were in a suite so we showed up at 10:30 am and still had to stand in line until about 11:00 before the port even opened up.

We sat in the suite lounge until about 11:30 before boarding even started.

So even if you get an early boarding time you may end up not even getting on the ship until 11:30 or later.

Ugh... I am on symphony in 2 weeks and have an 1130 board (the earliest available). I check out of my hotel at 10, so plan to be at the cruise port around 1030. Sitting in the terminal with a 15, 13 and 11 yr old telling me they are board doesn't sound fun. But it is what it is, hopefully it will just build the excitement to get on the ship.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:10 PM, Fastfaller said:

I hope they are fluff because I got 1130 on. Symphony in 2 weeks, it was the earliest time. But my hotel checkout is 1000. So I will be in line at 1030.

This was Miami. From what I understand NJ is a hot mess. I wouldn’t bank on 10:30 am by any means outta that place.

2 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

This was Miami. From what I understand NJ is a hot mess. I wouldn’t bank on 10:30 am by any means outta that place.

Mine is out of FLL, I think NJ starts the week after. We'll have to see what happens 

15 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

Mine is out of FLL, I think NJ starts the week after. We'll have to see what happens 

Mine was FLL as well. 

And I was 1st in line. Never had that happen before not that it mattered in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 12:36 PM, Fastfaller said:

Agreed, if I can be on ship by 1100, grab a specialty coffee and a quick bite to eat then I am in heaven. Then you have all the time in the world to explore the ship, get the lay of the land. Then it's time to find a refreshing cocktail and start the relaxation. 

It’s so 2020 to abide by the specified boarding time! 😂

I posted a while ago how I checked in at midnight for my May Liberty cruise from NJ and the first available slot was 11:30. I kept checking back and no earlier time has opened. My cruises over the winter have all had 10:00-10:30 available.

Keep in mind this is the time to arrive at the terminal. It is not ‘boarding time’.

I sail primarily from NJ and found it’s pretty good. Usually they just wave everyone into the terminal on to and the security lines.

The only hold up is the security line. It can get pretty crowded. Especially with people who don’t pay attention and have to waste time emptying their pockets and putting their metal stuff into their carryon when they get to the screener rather than before. So everyone else has to wait for them. Then there’s those who go overboard (pun intended) and waste time taking off their shoes and belts even though it was obvious nobody in front to them did that. If the security line gets too crowded, they may start enforcing times outside the terminal.

As long as everything goes as planned, there is usually little delay in getting checked in at a kiosk and then boarding.

But…here’s where that ‘Vacation Patience’ comes in…if the ship was delayed getting into port (diversion to medivac a patient, propulsion issue, harbor traffic, assist another vessel…or many other possibilities. Or the ship is undergoing a coast guard or public health inspection…or needs a ‘deep cleaning’) then boarding new guests can be delayed.

Then everything gets backed up.

On 4/3/2024 at 3:32 PM, Woody14 said:

I know we all want on the ship as soon as possible but ....   they do have to get everyone off which takes time, you do want the ship to be clean and ready for you when you get on.         I wonder how many people who are complaining that can't get on the ship early enough are the same ones who are complaining that they made them get out of the cabin by 8:00 am or that they could not stay on the ship longer?

Not complaining here! We were definitely up and out very early on our last day! I don't envy the job they have of turning around the ship and am shocked that they do it so quickly.

On 4/4/2024 at 2:05 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

That’s good news. We are headed out of NJ in July and plan to be at the port early regardless. 

I just posted a review of Anthem, including my thoughts on Cape Liberty. And as a first timer, I was shocked to see that the check in time didn't matter. No one asked, no one confirmed, we were put in random chairs to sit and wait and tons of people that arrived later than us got on before us. Again- not a huge deal, just something to know as we were first timers and caught off guard by that. Thinking it was more like an airline would be when they board by group. Definitely get there earlier than you think if you want to get on as soon as possible.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:27 AM, Tania said:

I checked in at midnight for Symphony for the May 31st cruise and got 10:30am check in.

I also was able to get this time for same cruise date and ship.  I checked in on app which was a bit glitchy so i had to sign in and out several times.  I guess it was about 12:15am when it finally worked.