Port Rumors and Travel Insurance

Good afternoon guys. We're embarking on our second cruise in May and have seen that Royal Caribbean has temporarily halted the port of Labadee which is one of our ports. Looking into getting travel insurance that covers missed ports. Does anyone have a specific company/plan that includes the missed port option in their insurance? Looking forward to any tips! 

1 minute ago, Biaggio said:

They are doing you a favor by skipping Haiti. Whatever port they substitute will be better. Been there seen that. 

I totally understand with all the violence. Was just curious if we could be reimbursed through travel insurance if we end up with another sea day/missing our port. 

I agree with @smokeybandit.  In order to file an insurance claim you must have suffered some financial loss that you are trying to recoup.  There is no financial loss in missing a port unless you have a non-refundable excursion already purchased and that’s not even possible on Labadee.  There is no claim to file.  

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I agree with @smokeybandit.  In order to file an insurance claim you must have suffered some financial loss that you are trying to recoup.  There is no financial loss in missing a port unless you have a non-refundable excursion already purchased and that’s not even possible on Labadee.  There is no claim to file.  

Here's the video I'm using as a reference: 

Also consider that if you are buying insurance now, it may not apply to a cruise you have previously purchased.  This would fall in the same category as "Oops, I have to cancel my cruise, so I better go buy an insurance policy, so I can get all my money back."  The fact that you are already aware that your cruise could be skipping Labadee makes it too late to get insurance to cover that possibility.

I haven't ever filed a claim for a missed port, but as mentioned, I have seen it on my Allianz policies. As to whether a loss has occurred on a missed port, I'd say yes, as an imputed cost to the cruise. When taking a cruise, there is a reasonable expectation to visit ports, or else the fare would be less. So if no substitute port is provided, a loss HAS occurred. I would file a claim after the cruise. I agree this applies only if you already have the insurance. Not an attorney nor a spokesperson...

28 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I believe the contract we enter into with Royal has a statement regarding the possibility of changes occurring during the cruise and that we agree and understand this can happen.  Not sure there would be a reason to file a claim and for what?

Only if you booked some non refundable event with a third party tour company 

Yes, the itinerary can change. That isn't the point. The point is whether you are receiving the value of what you insured. When there is a substitute port, it's harder to argue your loss. You aren't suing Royal, so the contract isn't relevant, but that is just my opinion. Who has actually claimed this provision?

Checking policy now. Missed port is separate from shore excursion coverage, and missed port includes substitute ports. Low/high water coverage covers river cruising issues, like changing ships or using land based alternatives.

I understand that some travel insurance policies do offer ‘Missed Port’ coverage for cruisers. It is an additional cost and allows a one-time set reimbursement per person covered. Usually $100.

There are some restrictions and conditions…such as the missed port was not replaced with another. The missed port had to be replaced by a sea day.

Even if port fees and excursions were refunded by the cruise line, and no loss occurred, the insurance would still pay out for the inconvenience of missing a planned port and not having a replacement.

But, again…it is a rider to the policy and incurs an additional cost. So you have to weigh the risk versus the cost…as with all insurance policies.

I never considered it so I didn’t really research it completely…but it’s always a good idea to check it out if that’s something that interests you.

19 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There's nothing in that video that proves she got compensation simply for a missed port or for what reason.  She just says she got it.

Do you want her to show her bank statements? 😂

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Yes, the itinerary can change. That isn't the point. The point is whether you are receiving the value of what you insured. When there is a substitute port, it's harder to argue your loss. You aren't suing Royal, so the contract isn't relevant, but that is just my opinion. Who has actually claimed this provision?

I'm totally fine with the itinerary changing. I just figured I'd ask to see if anyone has successfully submitted a claim like this to their insurance before. Fingers crossed they sub the port instead of doing another sea day. I've researched it and I've seen it on Redditt posts that people have done this but sadly no one says which insurance company/plan they go with. 

13 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I haven't ever filed a claim for a missed port, but as mentioned, I have seen it on my Allianz policies. As to whether a loss has occurred on a missed port, I'd say yes, as an imputed cost to the cruise. When taking a cruise, there is a reasonable expectation to visit ports, or else the fare would be less. So if no substitute port is provided, a loss HAS occurred. I would file a claim after the cruise. I agree this applies only if you already have the insurance. Not an attorney nor a spokesperson...

For sure! I wouldn't expect it if we didn't have travel insurance. Do you know which Allianz policy you've seen it on?

2 hours ago, SMiller said:

I'm totally fine with the itinerary changing. I just figured I'd ask to see if anyone has successfully submitted a claim like this to their insurance before. Fingers crossed they sub the port instead of doing another sea day. I've researched it and I've seen it on Redditt posts that people have done this but sadly no one says which insurance company/plan they go with. 

I have never personally had a claim for this because this coverage usually is not available for Florida residents. Anecdotally I have heard people were able to collect on this coverage even prior to sailing if the cruise line modified the itinerary. This is not to be confused with the coverage for pre-paid excursions which is a separate claim and included under the majority of trip insurance policies. Nationwide Universal Cruise Plan is one policy I have seen with this coverage (https://travel.nationwide.com/plans/cruise)

Screenshot_20240320_140155_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c9625d6623e18dd93fa036f16bc44f73.jpg

In this screen shot the $100 is the flat coverage for an itinerary change and the $250 is the limit they would pay on a claim for non-refundable excursions.

This was the first time in a long time I was happy I had travel insurance that included trip interruption because of the situation in Haiti.  Granted, it is through my credit card, but it gave me peace of mind when I received the new itinerary this morning for an upcoming trip.  Our ports of call were all reshuffled and I spent the morning working with 3rd party tour operators to get things moved or cancelled.  Because I had used my travel card to purchase everything, I knew if I was unable to get refunds, they would take care of me.  The only catch in this case is everything must have been purchased with that card, which it was in my case.  I already have the charges reversed and pending in my credit card account now.

3 hours ago, SMiller said:

For sure! I wouldn't expect it if we didn't have travel insurance. Do you know which Allianz policy you've seen it on?

it's on one we just had for a cruise in South Pacific.  It wasn't the basic coverage, but an enhanced one.