Voom internet question

So it's a bit cheaper to do 2 people 2 devices than to do it for 4 people 1 device? What prevents me from doing the former and having my kids devices as my wife and my second device? Can both devices be online at the same time?

I usually do 1 person 4 devices as that's usually the cheapest option for 4 people. The number of devices isn't really the issue.  It's the number of devices on line at a time. 

As mentioned earlier,  device number 5 will boot someone off, which is inconvenient,  but not really a problem. 

I’ve paid for 1 device for 1 person due to cost over a 9 night cruise. 

perhaps wrongly I understood it that you get a log in to use and this is not necessarily restricted to 1 phone? Obviously 1 device/user at a time. I was working on the basis that 1 kid could use it for an hour, then log out and allow the other kid to log in using their phone?

Is that wrong please?

1 hour ago, Simon84 said:

perhaps wrongly I understood it that you get a log in to use and this is not necessarily restricted to 1 phone? Obviously 1 device/user at a time. I was working on the basis that 1 kid could use it for an hour, then log out and allow the other kid to log in using their phone?

Is that wrong please?

That's exactly how it works.

1 hour ago, Simon84 said:

Is that wrong please?

You nailed it. Once the 2nd kid logs in, it'll knock the other kid off, so make sure they communicate about who is using it and when so you avoid arguments over kicking each other offline. But it is interchangeable between devices. 

28 minutes ago, Smokey79 said:

It’s also good for WiFi calling so you can communicate with your phones while on board. Just remember to turn on airplane mode first. 

I didn’t know that you could make phone calls.  This might sound dumb but do you make a call like normal just by placing the phone is in airplane mode or is there some other settings you have to do.  I had internet package last cruise but never made a single call because I thought I would be charged.  I surfed the net and played games.😟

11 minutes ago, Gilley said:

I didn’t know that you could make phone calls.  This might sound dumb but do you make a call like normal just by placing the phone is in airplane mode or is there some other settings you have to do.  I had internet package last cruise but never made a single call because I thought I would be charged.  I surfed the net and played games.😟

You just use whatsapp or another app that works through wifi, such as FB messenger.

2 hours ago, Gilley said:

I make Wifi calls. 

2 hours ago, Gilley said:

Try it at home on your own wifi. Turn on the wifi calling feature on your phone to get it set up. Turn on airplane mode. Connect your cell phone to the wifi. Then just make a phone call like you typically would. Then when you are on the ship it should be set up to work in airplane mode and on VOOM.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

Try it at home on your own wifi. Turn on the wifi calling feature on your phone to get it set up. Turn on airplane mode. Connect your cell phone to the wifi. Then just make a phone call like you typically would. Then when you are on the ship it should be set up to work in airplane mode and on VOOM.

Exactly. Am I the only one who does this? LOL. I make and receive calls about my dog onboard every day. No bill. No problem. Have Wifi calling on before turning on Airplane mode.

Am I the only person who has there phone set up to use Wifi calling when at home? You can get a better signal off of your Wifi then off of cell phone towers. Then when I leave the house it defaults to 5G from T-Mobile.

Point is make sure Wifi calling is on before putting phone in Airplane mode. Then no bill, no problem. 

4 hours ago, Gilley said:

Most modern smart phones support calling and texting over wifi. However,  my last phone did not so YMMV.

Also, it depends somewhat on your connection.  I sail out of Galveston a lot. Wifi calling doesn't work while we are in the Gulf of Mexico, but works great once we enter the Caribbean.  I have no idea why, but it happens every time.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Doesn't always work with every phone either, despite every faq and support article saying it should

Biggest thing for me is that texting works so my kids and I can communicate effectively. My other option is not a good one (remember walkie talkies).