Video of Michael Bayley doing Crowns Edge on Icon of the Seas

1 hour ago, Carlos A. said:

Why?

Real quick: as a policy-- anything or anybody under no circumstances goes on the other side of the railing of the ship. Even if you paid us $160 for us to dangle you out there in a jumpsuit, helmet, and harness. There have been too many accidental deaths of passengers who went on the other side of the railing for stupid reasons so there has to be a firm policy of NO! Also, this feature is going to induce genuine fear into many people. This is different than a climbing wall or a raft on a water slide. It's the wrong kind of fear, it can become terror. Finally, it's very windy out there and there is going to be some tall, lanky teenager that meets the height and weight requirements but with the wind and their surface area they are going to have a hard time making it back to the boat after the bottom drops out and they are going to get stuck.

I bet Michael Bayley knows exactly what I am talking about.

I think you might be underestimating the redundant safety measures of Crown's Edge and the company's general risk assessment. 

Nothing is perfect, so I'm not debating that there's a chance, but I think accidental deaths resulting from dumb decisions as opposed to a regulated harness system are not anywhere the same.

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Isn't this the activity that costs 90 bucks for 90 seconds? I hope he is at least paying 90 bucks so he can see how ridiculous that price is. 

It's now showing up on some sailings as $49 so they clearly heard the outrage. I think this price is much better and more reasonable.

6 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

It's now showing up on some sailings as $49 so they clearly heard the outrage. I think this price is much better and more reasonable.

50 cents a second is better than a buck a second. I think 10 to 20 bucks is more reasonable if the excuse is to keep down the crowd. I think the "keep down the crowd" or  make sure the activity isn't overrun is a slippery slope though. 

2 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

50 cents a second is better than a buck a second. I think 10 to 20 bucks is more reasonable if the excuse is to keep down the crowd. I think the "keep down the crowd" or  make sure the activity isn't overrun is a slippery slope though. 

I think iFly runs about the same cost, and you're getting about the same amount of time, so there is precedent. I can't see it going for much cheaper - maybe in the $30s for port days if they're even allowed to run it fully in port.

3 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Someone shared this image on La Lido Loca's facebook group as a screenshot from their app so this is where I'm getting the information. Looks like its the retail price.

FB_IMG_1705600460441.thumb.jpg.5d5cf613177216a2e0c75f179dab62c1.jpg

Good. I thought it'd be like they're doing for Hideaway on Coco Cay where they're just offering early cruises a heavily discounted rate.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

They're charging for iFly ?  I thought iFly was complimentary

It is "free" on port days but on sea days there is a charge, but you do get extra time flight time as compensation. (like North Star is free on port days but does not go from side to side like sea days).

On 1/17/2024 at 12:20 PM, bobroo said:

Real quick: as a policy-- anything or anybody under no circumstances goes on the other side of the railing of the ship. Even if you paid us $160 for us to dangle you out there in a jumpsuit, helmet, and harness. There have been too many accidental deaths of passengers who went on the other side of the railing for stupid reasons so there has to be a firm policy of NO! Also, this feature is going to induce genuine fear into many people. This is different than a climbing wall or a raft on a water slide. It's the wrong kind of fear, it can become terror. Finally, it's very windy out there and there is going to be some tall, lanky teenager that meets the height and weight requirements but with the wind and their surface area they are going to have a hard time making it back to the boat after the bottom drops out and they are going to get stuck.

I bet Michael Bayley knows exactly what I am talking about.

I give it less than a year before it's cancelled, seriously.  I agree with everything you said.  Going over the ships' rails shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I think you might be underestimating the redundant safety measures of Crown's Edge and the company's general risk assessment. 

Nothing is perfect, so I'm not debating that there's a chance, but I think accidental deaths resulting from dumb decisions as opposed to a regulated harness system are not anywhere the same.

Point well taken. Don’t get me wrong, nobody is going to die on the Crowns Edge. I just feel a better choice could have been made that would be fun, unique, exciting, even thrilling to more people.

And i would just like to say this is how Royal does things and I know people get upset with me when I point it out. Royal started charging for the North Star in China I believe. Oh its only in China, no need to worry here and now look they are charging for it here. Diamond excluded from the Diamond club [how ironic is that] but we were told oh its only on a few select sailings and now? Oh its renamed and Diamond can't enter during peak times. This how Royal does things. They float stuff out there and then it becomes reality. Sorrento's pizza no doubt was next but that was backlash even they couldn't ignore. I was proud of the Royal loyal crew on that one. That was loud outrage. ifly also was a charge in China if I remember correctly. 

This is coming from someone, an entire family that LOVES Royal Caribbean but this kinda BS is super, duper annoying. Ironically the charging for stupid stuff cheapens the vacation, cheapens the experience. We just ignore the BS though. Even our 10 year old son will say daddy that is ridiculous. When he heard about the 90 bucks for 90 seconds he was disgusted. He said daddy a dollar a second? 🤣