Single travellers costs

Warm Greetings

I have been returning to the thought of a cruise and have noticed a distinct difference in two person prices for rooms, for instance a two person room with two guests listed show as from $699 and with only one person selected it shows as from $1582 (the prices goes up from here with every step of the room selection process) but it starts with about a $184 more costs for s single traveler.

ย 

So it leaves me wondering what are other peoples thoughts on this, a single person eats less then two people though also may or may not spend as much in other areas. Yet also A single person may need less customer service effort then two people and so on.

ย 

This leaves me wandering why the single person traveling ends up paying more then the combined amount of two people travelling.

ย 

Any thoughts ๐Ÿ™‚

Kind Regards

Michael

To update I followed the two paths further and the total cost for two people sharing a room (and this is for both passengers) is $1396.30 and for one person it totalled $2420.30 a difference of $1024 savings should I manage to bring a second person with me and effectively an additional cost of $1024 should i travel alone.

Keep in mind this is the total cost of the room so the extra person would never be paying any part of the fare so I am looking only at the difference between the combined total of two travellers vs one traveller.

Surely a second traveller does not spend enough to equate such a large difference in room costings?ย 

I know you're kind of raising a point here and while I don't have the answers, I know some people travelling solo create the booking for 2 travellers (for this reason) making up a second traveller who will be a no show. While you won't get double points for travelling solo, you'll save a bunch which can go towards another cruise! You also get the port fees and taxes refunded for the no show traveller.

I was curious about this, so I did a dummy booking for 2 travelers and for 1 traveler on Mariner on a 4 night sailing from Port Canaveral on April 4, 2024. Given the reports that Celebrity is charging extra for single travelers, I wondered if Royal may be starting to do the same. I share the observation that a single traveler does not consume as much complimentary food, and that is a cost savings for the company. If the food cost is $30 per person per day for the company, then they would theoretically save $120 on that sailing for one fewer guest. I don't really know how to apply a value on things like fewer people to take care of in a stateroom, less use of pool towels, etc.

I did a 2 passenger booking in Microsoft Edge and a 1 passenger booking in Firefox in private (incognito) mode. This was necessary because if you allow for cookies, one of the bookings will bump the other. I made the booking of a spacious ocean view balcony on deck 6. The same cabin was available on the port side (cabin 6604) and starboard side (cabin 6304) directly opposite the other on the deck, so I am certain this is apples to apples. I didn't try to book the same exact cabin because I got kicked out when I used different tabs in the same browser. The two person booking was $2,919.16 and the one person booking was $2,816.08. The difference was in Taxes & Fees. Taxes on the two person booking was $206.16 and the one person was $103.08.

I was not able to duplicate your results with my dummy bookings. I don't have a definitive reason for why my results were different than yours other than they are different sailings with different sets of conditions.

ย 

image.png.04ccd5891ee7cc674fe4d2c6f0547d73.png

it looks like the pricing is actually the same; the only difference is less $100 for a single deposit, whereas the double occupancy has a total $200 deposit โ€” $100 for each person.ย 

so they are in fact charging the same price for a cabin whether you are single or double occupancy.ย 

15 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

it looks like the pricing is actually the same; the only difference is less $100 for a single deposit, whereas the double occupancy has a total $200 deposit โ€” $100 for each person.ย 

so they are in fact charging the same price for a cabin whether you are single or double occupancy.ย 

A deposit doesn't add to the cost of the cruise though. It's just how much you pay up front.

Maybe it's something linked with the particular promotion in Australia that would mean it's weighted towards multiple travellers.

Re:ย Shanethegriff:ย ย I tend to be naturally weary of anything that could get me in trouble should someone decide I was cheating the system with a fake entry for a cheaper fare. Also with covid-19 and other check-in details I would worry about how far I would need to push the second account before it could be safely regarded as a no show (many unknowns).

So I normally travel solo and always paid the solo supplement.

In a cruise ship mind, they want the rooms filled to capacity because that is more onboard spending. The op is looking at this from a human perspective as in by being single they are using less resources. That is not a concern when it comes to the cruise business perspective. They are losing onboard spending dollars, so they charge a premium.

Their underlying message to solo travelers is clear: We Don't Want You.

ย 

Using @DunkelBierJayย example: It is going to cost the solo traveler $724 per night ($706 + $18 daily gratuity) for balcony that goes to Nassau and Coco Cay and is out of Port Canaveral. Mariner is over 20 years old.ย 

As a solo traveler, ย I can get a lot more value for my buck on so many other vacation choices spending the same $2,888 budget over 4 days.

ย 

1 hour ago, bobroo said:

As a solo traveler, ย I can get a lot more value for my buck on so many other vacation choices spending the same $2,888 budget over 4 days.

Agreed..I only sail solo when I find super deals. Less than $100/day is my target. Those are nearly impossible to find now, but when I see them I will pounce.

The pricing for that example sailing is ridiculous, though.ย 

8 hours ago, bobroo said:

Their underlying message to solo travelers is clear: We Don't Want You.

ย 

Using @DunkelBierJayย example: It is going to cost the solo traveler $724 per night ($706 + $18 daily gratuity) for balcony that goes to Nassau and Coco Cay and is out of Port Canaveral. Mariner is over 20 years old.ย 

ย 

It's not a sailing I would ever book at that price...I did that itinerary plus Nassau last year as a solo for less than $1000 total. It's crazy how the pricing is even in non-peak months.

I have 188 days on Royal Caribbean as a Solo cruiser.ย  I have never paid more than 2 people.ย  Most of the time I get the same price as 2 people minus the port fees and taxes.ย  If you call in, you can get the same GTY cabins that they only show for 2 people and not a solo traveler.ย  The newer ships have solo cabins, and they normally will cost 150%.ย  I am finding lately they are setting the solo cabins at 300% so they will not be sold.ย  I can only assume they are holding them for group bookings.

• 1 month later...

I booked a bunch of cruises sailing out of Bayonne as soon as the Northeast Sailing Schedule opened this past week. I booked them at NextCruise onboard the Anthem. The person assisting me was a bit confused because the solo cruiser discount wasnโ€™t automatically being applied as it usually was. She tried pricing without my C&A number and it was the same as with it. Two of them were $50 less.

None of the cruises were during blackout periods, holidays-new ship-summer, and she couldnโ€™t figure out why the discount wasnโ€™t applying. I know itโ€™s also โ€˜based on availabilityโ€™, but Iโ€™m booking the day the cruises were being offered. I booked anyway because I wanted to lock in cabins on back to backs. She sent an email to shoreside and told me it would take about two weeks for a response. A few days later she said she heard from a colleague that the C&A solo cruiser discount had not yet been activated for the new schedule, but that was not confirmed from shoreside.

Does anyone have a similar experienceโ€ฆor any information about this?

3 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I booked a bunch of cruises sailing out of Bayonne as soon as the Northeast Sailing Schedule opened this past week. I booked them at NextCruise onboard the Anthem. The person assisting me was a bit confused because the solo cruiser discount wasnโ€™t automatically being applied as it usually was. She tried pricing without my C&A number and it was the same as with it. Two of them were $50 less.

None of the cruises were during blackout periods, holidays-new ship-summer, and she couldnโ€™t figure out why the discount wasnโ€™t applying. I know itโ€™s also โ€˜based on availabilityโ€™, but Iโ€™m booking the day the cruises were being offered. I booked anyway because I wanted to lock in cabins on back to backs. She sent an email to shoreside and told me it would take about two weeks for a response. A few days later she said she heard from a colleague that the C&A solo cruiser discount had not yet been activated for the new schedule, but that was not confirmed from shoreside.

Does anyone have a similar experienceโ€ฆor any information about this?

I have no personal experience with this but I have read a few places of others having the same issue.ย  Sounds like an IT shortfall.ย  Who's surprised ?

Updateโ€ฆGOOD NEWS!

On the Anthem now. I checked in this afternoon with Next Cruise about the missing solo cruiser discount on the cruises I booked two weeks ago. Danning said she had not received a response from the email she sent at that time. She told me she would contact shoreside and get me an answer.

At 8pm I saw that Royal had emailed me fifteen new cruise confirmation receipts.

All fifteen cruises had the discount appliedโ€ฆto the original lower price! Very happy!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜