Royal up

Royal will send an email with links to bid to Royal Up to a new cabin category.
The cabin category available for you to bid on will depend on what you are currently booked in,
For example:  Interior cabins may get offers to bid on promenade interior and ocean view and maybe some balconies but they will not get offers to bid on suites.

The bid is doubled in price.  So if you place a bid for $50 and it is accepted it is actually $100 you will be paying.  Only the first 2 people are charged the $50.  If you have a cabin that has one person, it is still going to cost $100 to upgrade if you win the bid.  If you have a cabin with 3,4,5 people and win the bid it will only e $100 for the upgrade if you win the bid.

If you bid into a suite category your gratuity price will increase to the current rate of suites....a few more dollars per day per person.

You can be notified of a winning bid up to and including embarkation day!

You cannot change your mind once your bid is approved and you are awarded the upgrade so be sure you understand the bidding process

If you have 2 cabins booked, you cannot bring people into your new cabin.  The bid you submit is for the people in your reservation/cabin.

If you get a bid into a suite you will enjoy whatever benefits are associated with that suite category.

If your bid brings you into a suite , and you did not start in a suite, you do not get the suite crown and anchor points.  you will only get 1 point per night for a couple or more in a cabin.

Big box store reservation holders do not get royal up offers (or so I've read).
Here is a link you can try to see if you have the ability to make a bid.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade
You would also see this in the app under your cruise, or if you log in on the webiste you will see it there....assuming royal up bids are being accepted for your cruise and you are elgiible.   Some cruises bidding may open months out from your sailing date, other sailings it may not open until about 30 days prior to your sailing.

Recently, I have been receiving the invitation to submit a Royal Up bid the same day that I check in for the cruise, which is 45 days prior to boarding.  For example, yesterday was check-in day for our 2-22-24 Radiance sailing.  I checked in mid-morning.  In the early afternoon I received the RU offers, which I completed immediately and submitted.  By dinner I had received an email letting me know that my RUB had been accepted.

Honestly, it doesn’t normally happen that quickly in succession but the RU invitations do seem to be coming in conjunction with check-in for me.

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Recently, I have been receiving the invitation to submit a Royal Up bid the same day that I check in for the cruise, which is 45 days prior to boarding.  For example, yesterday was check-in day for our 2-22-24 Radiance sailing.  I checked in mid-morning.  In the early afternoon I received the RU offers, which I completed immediately and submitted.  By dinner I had received an email letting me know that my RUB had been accepted.

Honestly, it doesn’t normally happen that quickly in succession but the RU invitations do seem to be coming in conjunction with check-in for me.

Congrats Raye!  What did you Royal up to?

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

By dinner I had received an email letting me know that my RUB had been accepted.

Congrats! That's the quickest successful RUB I've ever read about (from offer to win).

If that happened to me I'd be wondering if I accidentally moved the slider to max bid and RC wanted to grab the offer ASAP, lol.

1 hour ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Congrats Raye!  What did you Royal up to?

We moved from a connecting ocean view (category CO) to ocean view balcony (category 1B), which was the highest category I was able to bid on.

When I booked this cruise (which was an add-on to another Radiance sailing to create a B2B), the CO was the best category left.  UGH  It was on deck 3.  Double UGH.  I hesitated even booking this sailing when I saw what rooms were bookable....but I wanted to do a 9 night cruise instead of a 5 night cruise so I booked that crappy CO in HOPES that I could Royal Up.  And it worked !!!

49 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Congrats! That's the quickest successful RUB I've ever read about (from offer to win).

If that happened to me I'd be wondering if I accidentally moved the slider to max bid and RC wanted to grab the offer ASAP, lol.

I agree - I don't recall ever having anyone say that their RUB was accepted the same day they submitted it !

This is pretty much exactly what happened but in truth, the bid was only about 1/2 way to max bet.  I was prepared to do whatever it took to get us OUT of that CO room on deck 3.  As it turns out, it only cost $300 ($150 each RUB) so I got off cheap.

These Radiance sailings (most of Feb and some of March) have been very screwy.  One day they are completely sold out and all categories are showing "Closed" and the next day there are new/different categories available.  I'm very relieved to be out of that deck 3 CO !

Another reason that I was willing to submit a RUB on half of our B2B is b/c we were already going to have to change rooms, anyway....so there was no incentive for me to just suck it up and stay with my original room.

29 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

raye!!!! a success story!!!

Thanks !!!!

I'm about 3/20 on RUB !  LOL

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I was prepared to do whatever it took to get us OUT of that CO room on deck 3.

You know I sail interiors and don't care about the cabin and we used to book almost nothing but GTY's... but deck 3 is about the only place I would strongly not want to be (even worse to me since we only sail bigger ships).

We did the cheapo version of what you did in 2022. We had a 3/4 B2B on Indy, changing cabins like you, and drew deck 3 on one of them (using the bar code trick). Even though I normally just switch out for free once assigned, we placed some small RUB's just to help get us off deck 3 and wound up in a Promenade View for like $20 or $25pp. We didn't even like the layout (first time in a PV) but it was 3 nights and it still beat deck 3.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

wound up in a Promenade View for like $20 or $25pp. We didn't even like the layout (first time in a PV) but it was 3 nights and it still beat deck 3.

We have only been in a PV once but we really kinda liked it.  My biggest complaint was that the desk/vanity area had no drawers....but aside from that I really didn't mind it at all.  We are in a PV again for an EX B2B (14 nights - 9 +5) in April.  We'll see if I still feel the same way after 14 nights !  LOL

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We moved from a connecting ocean view (category CO) to ocean view balcony (category 1B), which was the highest category I was able to bid on.

When I booked this cruise (which was an add-on to another Radiance sailing to create a B2B), the CO was the best category left.  UGH  It was on deck 3.  Double UGH.  I hesitated even booking this sailing when I saw what rooms were bookable....but I wanted to do a 9 night cruise instead of a 5 night cruise so I booked that crappy CO in HOPES that I could Royal Up.  And it worked !!!

I was prepared to do whatever it took to get us OUT of that CO room on deck 3.  I'm very relieved to be out of that deck 3 CO !

I'm about 3/20 on RUB !  LOL

I think I would rather die than be on Deck 3 on any ship!  Ughhh.  I remember my first “real cruise” on Brilliance (the one I won) going down to deck 4 just to check out the rooms (we were in a Balcony on 7).  Oh My Gosh!  We peeked into an OV room that was being cleaned and OMG when I saw how close the water level was to the window I almost felt seasick!  I vowed from that day forward if I ever got to cruise again (and thank goodness it became reality!) it would NEVER be on a low deck!

I realize there are so many cruisers who have no problems at all being on those lower decks (lucky for all cruise lines, I guess) but for me it just would be torture.  Maybe an interior where I couldn’t see where I am would work but I’m not willing to try.  🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Anyway…so happy you were able to escape Deck 3!

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My biggest complaint was that the desk/vanity area had no drawers

That sounds along the lines of what we didn't like, along with the TV being sort of caddy-corner to the bed. It wasn't a huge deal though.

We recently tried a Central Park View interior on Allure (small upgrade pre-cruise b/c it was a last minute deal and we were again sort of guarding against a poor GTY assignment as there were tons of connecting interiors left that we didn't want). We didn't need it but we really liked that layout. It was exactly like a standard balcony room except the bench/window was where the balcony would be. We didn't really use the bench or look out the window much but it was nice to have the extra space.

I have nothing but interiors booked via TA group rates right now so no more GTY's in the foreseeable future but I'd consider a CP view again under similar circumstances.

Just note, if you book an accessible room, you likely will NOT receive an opportunity to RoyalUp - either the availability of higher tier accessible rooms isn't there or they don't want to displace you into a larger, non-accessible room in the event you need the roll-in shower for mobility purposes.

I just saw for the first time on the website (haven't checked app), that I can also see my Royal Up options where I would select my cruise to go to the planner: 

2024-01-10.thumb.png.008545099fd7571ebf64ac9cf3c679c7.png

We got our RU email last week for a cruise at the end of March. But, as @Pattycruise mentioned, you cannot bring people with you if you win, and we have to stay next to the room our teens are in, so we can not bid when we sail with them.

A new data point…. I checked in today for the second leg of our Radiance B2B and just as with the first leg, I received the invitation to Royal Up shortly afterwards….so it seems to be very consistent for me that RU becomes available immediately after check-in.  Not sure I will bid on this one since I have a room exactly where I want to be for leg 2.  I’m still thinkin’ about it.

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2024 at 8:54 AM, OCSC Mike said:

My bet would be that they just have a minimum that they want  to earn and that if you reach that minimum, they will sell you the room, otherwise they will let the bids continue until the end and let the largest ones win.