Panicking about GTY

Hi All,

Hoping someone can put my mind at ease. I'm seeing several reports online of people getting bumped from their cruise at the very last moment.  I've booked a GTY-XB for the very first time - Oasis, this summer in Europe.

Is this a common theme now - getting bumped due to overbooking? Reputable cruise blogs seem to be reporting that this phenomenon is increasing (apparently in cruise line communication to investors this was stated, wanting to increase occupancy %) Anything I can do at this stage to help prevent this?

@MoonMan81, it is absolutely NOT a common thing and you should not have any worries whatsoever about your GTY booking. When you consider the huge numbers of cruisers out there who are making gty bookings, the issue with bumping is infinitesimal. As with everything else, the bad stuff gets reported and blown up out of all proportion, while nobody bothers to mention that the vast majority of gty bookings go off without a hitch.

The only way to sort of prevent it would be to book a specific cabin number but that will probably be more expensive and even then doesn't give you a 100% guarantee because stuff happens that can mean a cabin needs to be taken out of inventory and if the cabin in question happens to be the one you booked...

1 hour ago, MoonMan81 said:

Hi All,

Hoping someone can put my mind at ease. I'm seeing several reports online of people getting bumped from their cruise at the very last moment.  I've booked a GTY-XB for the very first time - Oasis, this summer in Europe.

Is this a common theme now - getting bumped due to overbooking? Reputable cruise blogs seem to be reporting that this phenomenon is increasing (apparently in cruise line communication to investors this was stated, wanting to increase occupancy %) Anything I can do at this stage to help prevent this?

Not reputable cruise blogs, just someone trying to overdramatise the situation to get hits. Very rarely happens and even when it does most times people get a call in advance offering compensation to swap out.

Short of paying more to book a room of your choosing,  there is nothing to be done.

As others stated those sources aren't reputable and are using the same instance to prove their point. There is no phenomenon of people showing up and not getting rooms. It is probably 3 whole instances out of possibly a million sailings.

This one instance that you're speaking of had nothing to do with the rooms being GTY, it was a freak incident with the ship, and nothing to do with rooms not being available due to overselling. They HAVE oversold ships before, but they give very advance notice, and it, again, doesn't specifically affect GTY room holders. You'll be fine, I have a GTY for July and have zero worries about it

On 1/7/2024 at 5:02 AM, MoonMan81 said:

Hi All,

Made me nervous as well...but we sail on the 27th and once we did the online checkin we were able to see our cabin when we put our set sail pass in our Iphone wallet...it's in the barcode at the bottom. We now have our cabin showing up in our online login as well. So, basically it was assigned 45 days from the cruise on our set sail pass. 

1 hour ago, Mike n Ky said:

Made me nervous as well...but we sail on the 27th and once we did the online checkin we were able to see our cabin when we put our set sail pass in our Iphone wallet...it's in the barcode at the bottom. We now have our cabin showing up in our online login as well. So, basically it was assigned 45 days from the cruise on our set sail pass. 

Just to mention for anyone reading this thread who doesn't know, Android users can use a bar-code scanner app to see their cabin assignment. The cabin number will be the last digits after the -.