🌟💫⭐️A “Starry” Christmas - Harmony Dec 24-31, 2023⭐️💫🌟

Jax

20 minutes ago, Jax said:

Ooh I will definitely mention this to my guys. I don’t like Sabor or spicy so that’s probably why they have only got nachos to go.   I don’t put it in the dining rotation.

Sounds familiar. I only got to eat there on Allure b/c my wife likes some of the sides & desserts. She won’t do spicy or anything Mexican really but she loves yucca fries & liked their churros & one other dessert. She had a plain cheese quesadilla as her main. I could honestly just eat a bunch of those chicken bacon jalapeño things & dessert & be content at Sabor. Oh, and a jalapeño cucumber margarita.

2 hours ago, Jax said:

he said the lobster didn’t smell very good and it was rubbery. He only ate a couple bites and chucked it.  I said why would you eat it at all? 🤦‍♀️ As we were returning to the ship he started feeling off and headed straight back to our suite […]  We will see how it goes. Hopefully we don’t have an alpha alpha alpha on deck 9 suite #9730 😆

omg. no!!!!!

if it smells off DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT!!!!!

ps: MAN roatan is STEAMY. 

although, it’s always rained buckets when we have stopped there, so i’m glad your weather otherwise held off 💚

Tonight we visited 150 CP. Our friends joined us so it was another fun meal followed by more photo shenanigans. 🤦‍♀️ Oh and it was Caribbean night. 

We ordered a lot of items, short rib was amazing, pork belly yummy, pumpkin soup and leek soup so good, beef tenderloin and lobster thermador delicious. You are getting the picture. Everything was 10/10 including our server.  Sorry I didn’t take any pictures; totally forgot. 
Lindsay took it easy tonight and stuck with the pumpkin soup and leek soup. Both were delicious. 
From there we were off for some photos before heading to the 1887 ice show. 

1887 A Journey in Time Ice Show 

We missed this last year and we really enjoyed the show. I am embarrassed to say I always find it hard to follow their storyline. But regardless of why the show reed with a wedding I enjoyed it. Lol  Bonus was being in a nice cold room watching it. Sorry but pictures and video were not allowed.  

12 hours ago, asquared17 said:

if it smells off DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT!!!!!

I know!! If I was not off eating hotdogs with Reyd I would have chucked it. 

12 hours ago, asquared17 said:

ps: MAN roatan is STEAMY. 

although, it’s always rained buckets when we have stopped there, so i’m glad your weather otherwise held off 💚

Omg yes! We have never experienced this level of humidity on past eastern Caribbean sailings.  It was 100% in Costa Maya yesterday and only 83% in Roatan. 😳 My ankles are swollen which never happens; my hair is a whole other story. lol 

Tomorrow our group of 8 is off to Paradise Beach. This excursion was not offered by Royal so we booked it privately.  We are looking forward to this one. I’ll check in tomorrow but our plan is to meet Berty at 8:30am for our usual express elevator ride.
As much as we are looking forward to tomorrow, having 3 excursions, 3 days in a row is not great especially since all have had an early start. It makes for a very busy last day with star class bridge and galley tours, finalizing photo selections etc.  

8 hours ago, Jax said:

Tomorrow our group of 8 is off to Paradise Beach. This excursion was not offered by Royal so we booked it privately.  We are looking forward to this one. I’ll check in tomorrow but our plan is to meet Berty at 8:30am for our usual express elevator ride.

You know how much I'm looking forward your review of this one! Hope you have a great time!

8 hours ago, Jax said:

As much as we are looking forward to tomorrow, having 3 excursions, 3 days in a row is not great

Agreed. Aside from logistics, we like spending time on the ship so much that it would make me feel like I didn't spend enough (especially since we spend a big chunk of the day on CocoCay). Since we've done this itinerary multiple times, our tentative plan for the next 2 westerns (June and July) is only one big excursion per cruise besides CocoCay... although we're debating a 2nd smaller one for one of them. One other issue coming from PC is that the ship always leaves Costa Maya at 2pm which is less than optimal so we aren't doing anything there unless we want to just walk around the port for an hour or two.

18 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

our tentative plan for the next 2 westerns (June and July) is only one big excursion per cruise

This is always our limit...and normally we don't even do that !  Too many excursions/treks off the ship is just too much excitement for me.  I prefer to stay ON the ship most of the time but if we're getting off at all, it will just be once.  When we finally start cruising from international ports again then that might change as most of those ports will be new for us but for the ol' eastern/western/southern Carrib itins, we stay close to home.

Paradise Beach

We met Berty at the elevators at 8:30am for an express ride to deck 2.  We grabbed some pier pics and met our friends at Margaritaville.  Getting to the cab area was easy peezy. The 8 of us got put into a van. Cab rates are set and it was $45 for the van. The ride to Paradise Beach was very fast, maybe 20 minutes.  Upon arrival we were greeted and taken to the check in area.  First impressions were great, everywhere is clean and staff are so friendly. Service is fantastic.  
Here are some initial photos 

IMG_1585.thumb.jpeg.9955f65c7bd96ea2065f8d47661dc5db.jpeg

Arrival area. 
IMG_1586.thumb.jpeg.ed08f591d46b162ca221d00578760a8f.jpeg

Check in area and shops looking back to arrival area. 
IMG_1591.thumb.jpeg.72473ac69b13da69875e6a7dc4b476f6.jpeg

View of day bed 14, 15 and 16 

IMG_1592.thumb.jpeg.5e92baa8bbba9b401af5fc2e2a79f784.jpeg

Our daybed 14 which includes a dedicated dining table  

IMG_1595.thumb.jpeg.6969f8ff2308538c9c750ae57e75902d.jpeg
Ocean view from daybed #14

IMG_1624.thumb.jpeg.15e2e232fac0b93b24f78683d93d13dd.jpeg

View of equipment rental from daybed #14

IMG_1594.jpeg

So due to windy conditions sea doos and parasailing is closed. 🥲 In fact all docks on the island are closed meaning no fishing or boat excursions either.  

BUT plan B was probably better than sea doos so the day was saved!!! 
The guys booked ATV’s and went out for close to 2 hours. They left from the resort and after a short ride they were on trails. Unanimously this was the highlight of all of their trip.  Sometimes plan B works out. 🙌🏻🙌🏻 They paid $75 and were gone close to 2 hours.  

IMG_2210.jpeg

IMG_1619.jpeg

IMG_2214.jpeg

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_2235.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

IMG_2202.jpeg

So what did Jessica and I do when everyone else went ATVing….MASSAGES I walked, more like stumbled out of there not knowing who or where I was. 🙃 Sign of a relaxing massage  

Because we have the all inclusive rates are discounted from $45 for 30 minutes to $30. We each had a 1 hour massage. Followed by lunch. More on food in a bit.  

@Jax, thanks for the great daybed pics and info, much appreciated! While I'm waiting for food info...

I do see a big space between 16 and 17 on the website diagram. The path from the beach to the pool area and the taco truck appears to run in between them. We were avoiding 16/17 b/c of that. Do I have that part right?

I'm sure we'll have a good time no matter which bed we have but since you're there and we cruisers usually like to over-plan... what # would be your pick if you were just a solo couple planning to mostly lay around and take full advantage of the food and drink? Would you avoid 16/17 b/c of foot traffic or is that a non-issue?

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

Do I have that part right?

Yes 💯

Would you avoid 16/17 b/c of foot traffic or is that a non-issue?

I don’t think the taco truck would be an issue however there is an access point to the pool and bathroom areas between 16 and 17. I wouldn’t not reserve them if that’s all I could get. But after being there #14 was my favorite.  So I picked well!! 

While I'm waiting for food info...

Coming soon! Just got back onboard. 

@Jax Thanks for the great pictures of Paradise beach. I booked a pool daybed, but your posts have me second guessing this. When you say it was loud, was that because of loud music playing or just loud people? Did you find #14 to be quieter? (less music? less crowded?) I was worried about 14 being right next to the path between the pool and the beach, but your pics looks really appealing.

Just now, jupiter03 said:

@Jax Thanks for the great pictures of Paradise beach. I booked a pool daybed, but your posts have me second guessing this. When you say it was loud, was that because of loud music playing or just loud people? Did you find #14 to be quieter? (less music? less crowded?) I was worried about 14 being right next to the path between the pool and the beach, but your pics looks really appealing.

We didn’t notice any foot traffic in daybed #14.  It’s located close to the pool, beach, bathrooms, water equipment and massages.  The pool cabanas are louder due to music and more people in the pool area. Our group wasn’t interested in the pool but if the pool appeals to you and you don’t mind a higher energy vibe you may love it.  Our daybed was definitely quieter than the pool ones.  Hope this helps.

Delayed departure in Cozumel 

We saw the ferry pull up and said to ourselves “I bet that’s why we haven’t left yet”. Minutes later the captain announced the ferry had weather related delays but had just returned and we will be leaving shortly.  Just another reminder why you should book Royal excursions especially when your excursion is not close to the port.  Fortunately the ferry is docked in our area so it’s short walk.  

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

Our group at Chops tonight. A much better experience than when the 3 of us ate there on Christmas Day.  Food quality and service was excellent.  I should know better but one of the managers was chatting with us while we waited for our group to arrive and wondered if we were celebrating anything tonight.  I mentioned that Berty arranged for a cake to celebrate Reyd’s birthday in our suite later tonight. Well sure enough they surprised Reyd with a dessert and singing of happy birthday.  Very nice of them ❤️. Posted a video on IG stories. 
Although I was tempted by the organic chicken I stuck with my usual; ribeye and lobster and a bunch of sides that we shared.  

We went for pictures after dinner and Lindsay was up to his usual antics. I will post a couple more of the funny group shots.  There are some real doozies. 🤣 

IMG_1675.jpeg

IMG_1677.jpeg

Reyd’s birthday celebration was perfect! We came back to the suite after pictures and karaoke to this amazing chocolate mousse cake.  
You may remember me mentioning that Berty decorated the suite with a bunch of pictures he got off Facebook. Well he also got creative with decorating Reyd’s birthday cake. Reyd is a high school RAP student enrolled as a heavy diesel tech so the decorations were well done. 
We have made so many memories this week that we will cherish for many years.   ❤️IMG_1685.thumb.jpeg.42bc226623c2602f5f0e92c9657076fe.jpeg

Christmas is gone 

I don’t remember Christmas decorations being taken down during our cruises in previous years but it’s possible I missed it.  #blamethestarclassbubble@Lovetocruise2002 is this the norm? Are decorations gone before New Years?? We woke to no Christmas decor. 

Just following up on the discussion relating to the up charge on Dec 24 & 25 for our friends that purchased the UDP.  Our friends found out when they boarded that their night 1 reservations were at Chops.  As long as they didn’t select the surf and turf option there was no additional charge but had they scheduled Chops themselves the uncharged would apply. This whole up charge fee should be reconsidered.  It’s GITCC. 

23 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is always our limit...and normally we don't even do that !  Too many excursions/treks off the ship is just too much excitement for me. 

We were just talking about this tonight and I share your sentiment.  I think if we did this itinerary again we would not get off on one of the days.  We are all pooped and as we all know day 7 is always so busy.  

5 hours ago, Jax said:

Christmas is gone 

I don’t remember Christmas decorations being taken down during our cruises in previous years but it’s possible I missed it.  #blamethestarclassbubble@Lovetocruise2002 is this the norm? Are decorations gone before New Years?? We woke to no Christmas decor. 

When we sailed Indy in December 2018 to ring in 2019, they still has Christmas stuff up that sailing. However, in the years to follow, they have started to take them down before NYE. @WAAAYTOOO reported in her blog that stuff came down on Adventure, and people in the Odyssey group were posting that Christmas stuff came down on that ship too. 

Catching up from yesterday, Paradise Beach food. We were excited about the menu and hope it lived up to our expectations.  The menu offered a wide range of options. Not to worry @OCSC Mike everything our group tried was very good.  We ordered several types of their pizza, chicken fingers, bacon cheese burger, fish taco, nachos and cheese and more I am likely forgetting about. It was all really good.  Portion sizes are definitely on the smaller size so order multiples if you are hungry.(which we did)  The cheese burger was closer to the size of a slider. Pizza was 6”. But with the all inclusive package food and drinks are included. I would have felt differently if we had to pay ala cart pricing for such small portions. Service was amazing; best we have had on any excursion. I don’t think any of us waited more than 5 minutes for our food.  The beach daybeds have a dedicated table in front of them which is nice to eat at rather than having to eat on the daybed. The drinks were very good; also the best when compared to other excursions we were on. The one thing that surprised us was we couldn’t get cans of pop; pop was only served in a glass. But we had no issues with the ice.  Tipping was a bit confusing. Our friends tipped our servers and were told it wasn’t in the guideline amounts as it’s shared with back kitchen and bar staff. We assumed the gratuity we gave was exclusively for our servers and our fee for the all inclusive passes covered the back kitchen and bar tips. They gave them a copy of their bill with a tipping guideline.  Other than that everything went as planned and exceeded our expectations.  It was a great day. 
Carching a cab back to the port was easy too. On our return they put us in 2 cabs and each cab was $18. 

Back tracking to yesterday. When we returned to our suite we found gifts from Berty along with a nice note. 💜💜🧞‍♂️ More on Berty later but it will come as no surprise he is one of the best genies in the fleet.  He has given us an incredible week. Any request is met with “it shall be done 🙏

IMG_1659.jpeg

IMG_1660.jpeg

IMG_1661.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Jax said:

Just posted it. 

Didn't mean to rush you, I was kind of looking for a positive distraction from something negative I'm currently dealing with when I posted that. My apologies. Thanks for all the info and glad you enjoyed it so much! We're easy to please so I'm sure we'll have a great time.

I have read others mention small portions and it seems to be by design b/c you can order as much as you want. Since I like to try lots of different things and we never know what my wife will like until she tries it, that's probably a plus for us. All the American food you mentioned was also part of the reason Paradise Beach sounded like a good fit. My wife will be ordering the pizza/burger/chicken finger stuff while I try one of every taco and anything else remotely Mexican or seafood-related, lol.

Also glad to hear the drinks were good. Again, I'm not picky nor a huge drinker, but the drinks at Nachi Cocom were pretty bad. If I take the time to complain about something, it's meaningful.

Enjoy what's left of your cruise!

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Didn't mean to rush you, I was kind of looking for a positive distraction from something negative I'm currently dealing with when I posted that. My apologies. Thanks for all the info and glad you enjoyed it so much! We're easy to please so I'm sure we'll have a great time.

I have read others mention small portions and it seems to be by design b/c you can order as much as you want. Since I like to try lots of different things and we never know what my wife will like until she tries it, that's probably a plus for us. All the American food you mentioned was also part of the reason Paradise Beach sounded like a good fit. My wife will be ordering the pizza/burger/chicken finger stuff while I try one of every taco and anything else remotely Mexican or seafood-related, lol.

Also glad to hear the drinks were good. Again, I'm not picky nor a huge drinker, but the drinks at Nachi Cocom were pretty bad. If I take the time to complain about something, it's meaningful.

Enjoy what's left of your cruise!

Not at all!  Berty calls those “gentle reminders”. I have replied “sometimes we need a firm reminder”. 😆

Izumi is coming shortly but Reyd is starving because he hasn’t eaten since last night. I reminded him that he needs to get use to feeling hungry. Genie powers are coming to an end soon. 😆

We opted to enjoy our last lunch on our deck. It’s a nice day with normal humidity. Yay!!  Right after lunch we are off to the bridge tour at 1:15pm. 
Here’s our spread from Izumi. Awesome as always. 
Thus is a great reminder why communication with your genie is so important. I mentioned eating Izumi last night but timing was tricky because of our bridge tour and the fact that Izumi doesn’t open till noon.  We formed a plan. I sent our order last night and Berty spoke to the manager about starting our order early and much to our delight lunch was delivered at 12:23pm. I really appreciate this; it’s all these small things that add up to a wonderful week.  

IMG_1800.jpeg

I finalized my 100 digital prints and should be able to upload some of the “starclassbehavingbadly” ones without the watermarks.  Widdling down pictures from 250 to 100 is not easy for me. I wish they would have left it as the unlimited photo package.  Another thing GITCC.