Cruise Passenger Dies After Tour Boat Sinks in Nassau

I have been on these ferries multiple times.  Last time was this past August.  The boats are generally on their last legs.   Exposed wiring and missing panels are the norm.   Repairs seem to be made with cardboard or plastic wrap secured by duct tape.

I guess it is all fine until it isn't.   I doubt proper maintenance is done on these boats.  The crew is just a bunch of young adults who are more interested in making jokes - but obviously don't know what to do when there is a problem.   I heard on a video that the crew members were crying more than the passengers and that they gave absolutely zero directions.

7 hours ago, Hannah L said:

We just got off Allure and were on a ferry to blue lagoon that morning when half way through the ferry ride they said they had to cancel and bring us back “due to unforeseen circumstances.” We assumed they had oversold the excursion on the island as there were six ships in port, but this is so much worse…

Was Allure in Nassau on Tuesday? I thought Indy was Royal’s only ship in port that day. 

I hope that everyone here watches the videos that have been submitted and uses them as a learning tool. As a frequent cruiser you are are going to find yourself on small craft many, many times and on a really big boat all of the time. However, the size of the boat does not matter.

While watching them ask yourself, What would I be doing if this were me filming? What should I be doing? What do I see see going on that is bad? What do I see going on that is good?

Armchair quarterback these videos!  

When watching these videos if you take away nothing else, please watch and realize how easy it is for you to see the lifejackets/PFDs. You attention is immediately bought to them. If there were a quiz and I were to ask How many people are aboard Deck 1 and then showed the most recent submitted video; I bet a million dollars you will count the lifejackets you see and completely miss that the captain was not wearing one. Or, the amount of passengers by the stairs was really hard to determine but I can easily count X bright orange things.

In order to be saved, you need to be seen.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2023 at 12:47 PM, Matt said:

Screenshot (85).png

Translate that... as proper authorities in Nassau have been paid off.   Their boats are all ancient and on last legs (or past them) - doubtful they upgraded or fixed their fleet - but we shall see.

Is cardboard covered panels or electrical tubes considered code in Nassau?   Though I guess any training is better than what they had, which seem to be zero.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:11 PM, JS514 said:

Translate that... as proper authorities in Nassau have been paid off.   Their boats are all ancient and on last legs (or past them) - doubtful they upgraded or fixed their fleet - but we shall see.

Is cardboard covered panels or electrical tubes considered code in Nassau?   Though I guess any training is better than what they had, which seem to be zero.

Actually important to note the post doesn't say they GOT new fleet, policies, procedures or training but rather that the existing ones were examined (and through implication deemed safe enough to allow reopening)....not to say anything about a place I've never been (Blue lagoon) but I just thought I'd put a little fly in the ointment cuz...why not....