Costal Kitchen or Main Dining Room for Young Kids?

DoomSlayer

So, I finally did it -- As proud grandparents we are bringing my daughter, son-in-law, and 2-year-old granddaughter along for the ride.  We are in a 2-bedroom grand suite which gives us access to the Costal Kitchen.  However, I am a little hesitant to get too excited about eating at the Costal Kitchen because of the little one.  Has anyone taken young toddlers to Costal Kitchen and had a good experience?  Has anyone seen another family with a young toddler in Costal Kitchen and had a bad experience from them being there?  Just trying to get some thoughts and opinions from others.  How accommodating is the wait staff for younger kids in the Costal Kitchen?  Plan B is always the MDR or Room Service from the MDR.

35 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

How accommodating is the wait staff for younger kids in the Costal Kitchen?

I'll address this one b/c my CK experience is limited but logic tells me there must have been both good and bad experiences with toddlers there.

This isn't an exact parallel but the CK staff on 3 different ships has been incredibly accommodating to my youngest niece who has severe tree nut and sesame allergies. She was 8-9 during those cruises so I realize it was a different type of accommodating, but the personal attention they gave her and manner in which they went above and beyond to take care of her leads me to believe that your granddaughter would be fine there.

I wouldn't think of it all that differently than the MDR as far as she is concerned (except you'll likely get better service). If the concern is her behavior, I would again treat it like any other restaurant. If she's cranky and throwing a tantrum or something like that, I'm guessing someone would take her outside to try to calm her down no matter the venue.

Hopefully someone with actual toddler experience chimes in. I don't even have kids, lol, and I already admitted my experience is limited and my parallel is not exactly what you were looking for... but I figured I would share that my general impression is that they will take good care of her. And if anyone else eating there has a problem with young kids then they should sail Virgin. I don't think you should forgo the CK experience just b/c there is a young child in your party.

BTW, congrats on the GS! My wife and I have loved every frugal cruise we've taken but the 2 times we were treated to a GS on family cruises like yours by a generous family member, it was amazing for different reasons.

we’ve been in CK where there have been sailings with tons of kids in the restaurant and sailings where there were just a few. the crew, of course, is amazing. 

definitely don’t skip out!!

there was a more recent occasion where there were some REALLY tiny smalls — like maybe only two years of age or so, and they seemed to be (understandably!) fed up with the whole experience. that didn’t stop the parents from coming or ignoring said small’s behavior completely and no one else seemed impacted. 

i think you will be fine 💚💚💚

Enjoy the coastal kitchen! Believe me when I tell you, if I can manage to bring my two little trouble makers in there and not get booted off the ship then you will be fine. The staff is extremely welcoming and accommodating to children. Part of the enjoyment of booking a sky class suite is the use of this dining option and missing out on it should not be an option. Enjoy it, we will be in there next week on Wonder and I already have my tip money ready because my kids are going to request hotdogs and pizza regardless of the venue.  

You paid for the cabin that allows for you to enjoy Coastal kitchen so I say do just that. If the others in there can't handle seeing small children they can leave. 

There is lately a lot of in general backlash against people cruising with kids. This isn't Viking or Virgin, I say deal with it or find an adults only line. 

I will add that last year on Adventure OTS which was our first cruise since the pandemic we were greeted with a very rude remark. 

A young girl probably on her 20s looked directly as is and said "who would bring a baby on a cruise" with a nasty look on her face. I'm particularly sensitive to this issue. 

That's when I decided F everyone and enjoy the cruise. I honestly don't sweat it anymore. Go sail Viking or Virgin. 

32 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

A young girl probably on her 29s looked directly as is and said "who would bring a baby on a cruise" with a nasty look on her face

this is upsetting. i’m sorry, but exactly where does it say that parents don’t deserve a break too????

like c’mon. so many parents are just doing the best they can, and need the reset just as much (if not more than) any of us!! 

a lot of times i prefer kids to grown humans because at least they’re honest. no hidden agendas. no ulterior motives. they just want to have a good time. 💚😎 

and this is not denying anyone the right to have their preferences or thoughts — but why say it in front of/directly TO a person? it doesn’t serve any purpose but to make the speaker look uncouth. 

i’m so sorry this happened to you, @RCIfan1912 💚

1 minute ago, asquared17 said:

this is upsetting. i’m sorry, but exactly where does it say that parents don’t deserve a break too????

like c’mon. so many parents are just doing the best they can, and need the reset just as much (if not more than) any of us!! 

a lot of times i prefer kids to grown humans because at least they’re honest. no hidden agendas. no ulterior motives. they just want to have a good time. 💚😎 

and this is not denying anyone the right to have their preferences or thoughts — but why say it in front of/directly TO a person? it doesn’t serve any purpose but to make the speaker look uncouth. 

i’m so sorry this happened to you, @RCIfan1912 💚

Thanks, it was upsetting and it really pisses me off to be honest. 

I mean here we are on a short 4 day cruise to Halifax of all places. This wasn't a short booze cruise to the Bahamas. Again this was a short 4 day cruise to Halifax just to get our feet wet again cruising because of the pandemic and this is the first day a few hours in. 

We were walking in a crowded area and opposite directions so I couldn't find her but I tried. Disgusted to say the least. 

We preferred costal kitchen with our kids over main dining room due to the time factor. Coastal kitchen could have us in and out in 30 minutes if we needed it bc of the kids while main dining room we we’re usually stuck leaving before the meal is over because our kids can’t make it 90 minutes(that was before the changes that has sped up MDR)

I'd go for Coastal Kitchen. Sometimes the adults there are more of a nuisance than children.

When I was on Wonder last month, there was a lady eating dinner in Coastal Kitchen who was FaceTiming with a family member. The whole call lasted approximately 10-15 minutes and she was excessively loud during the call and also had her phone turned way up. Multiple people in the restaurant were giving her snarky looks.

37 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Sometimes the adults there are more of a nuisance than children.

ain’t that the truth!!!

37 minutes ago, Lucky said:

on Wonder last month, there was a lady eating dinner in Coastal Kitchen who was FaceTiming with a family member. The whole call lasted approximately 10-15 minutes and she was excessively loud during the call and also had her phone turned way up

oh my sweet lord.

i’m always hyper aware if i have to go on speaker and try to excuse myself. you never know what your companion will come out saying!!

also face time… i’m a millennial, but probably a traitor to my generation because i rarely, if ever, FT. 😂

33 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i’m a millennial, but probably a traitor to my generation because i rarely, if ever, FT

As an Xennial (Wikipedia says it's a real thing and it makes me younger than Gen X but not a dang Millennial so I'm using it)... I salute you!

The only time I ever use FT is when my young nieces call me, lol. Meanwhile, my wife FaceTimes her mom almost daily. 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

A young girl probably on her 20s looked directly as is and said "who would bring a baby on a cruise" with a nasty look on her face. I'm particularly sensitive to this issue. 

I don't know what age are your kids, but I feel you. I once heard an older lady bitch because my 4 year old was being a 4 year old and playing with sand on the Coco Cay beach.

5 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

I don't know what age are your kids, but I feel you. I once heard an older lady bitch because my 4 year old was being a 4 year old and playing with sand on the Coco Cay beach.

That's just ridiculous but unfortunately not surprising. Of all the places to bitch about a 4 year old Coco Cay is really ridiculous. That's where kids are most definitely supposed to be kids. 

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

As an Xennial (Wikipedia says it's a real thing and it makes me younger than Gen X but not a dang Millennial so I'm using it)... I salute you!

The only time I ever use FT is when my young nieces call me, lol. Meanwhile, my wife FaceTimes her mom almost daily. 🤷‍♂️

Might as well, it's all just made up groupings anyway.  You may say that means you aren't either Gen X or Millennial, but I say it means you are both. 🙂

Since the beginning of time, groups of people like to separate themselves into smaller groups of people in order to feel different or strong.  I would love to come back as an observer after humans are gone and the next dominant species rules the earth.  I would be very interested in how they view our strength and weaknesses.

Sorry for the late reply with this, been busy with work.  

We have done CK with 2 toddlers/preschoolers (18mo and ~4yo) The staff are absolutely fine with the kids, many are great.  As many know, a lot of the staff are away from their families and there are not a ton of super-young children on board so they seem to enjoy engaging with the young kids/babies.  This is more so for CK/suite lounge since there are less overall guests in/out of those venues and there is, as evidenced by this question, some hesitancy to bring kids into this slightly more formal environment. 

You will have to gauge how well the youngest will do with a ~90 minute meal and make sure you are getting reservations that work with their nap/bedtime schedules (do not forget to account for time changes).  Kids lose patience fast, there is a reason why so many families end up in the WJ, dinner can be 20 minutes instead of 90.  As long as they can sit still for 90 minutes, it should not be a problem.  If they are getting up and disturbing other guests I do not think you will be thrown out, but you will need to make the decision about whether you are being courteous to other guests.  If you would take them to the MDR or even a quiet restaurant at home they should be fine in CK.   

We had trouble (with the kids, not the staff, they were great) on a few nights that resolved itself, usually with generous application of chocolate cake.  We did have one night when my wife gave up and took both to the carousel.  When the food came they had prepped it in room service plates for us and I brought it back to the room and we finished later.  Ideal? no, but its your vacation too.  Try to work with the kids ahead of time to prep them what to expect for a longer more formal dinner and I bet you can have a great night.  Just remember to be flexible if its going poorly.

We have a 2025 cruise scheduled and we plan to go to CK with a (godwilling) 1yo, 3 yo and ~6yo (plus grandparents, that helps too).  

On 11/22/2023 at 7:09 AM, Crown&AnchorEsq said:

As many know, a lot of the staff are away from their families and there are not a ton of super-young children on board so they seem to enjoy engaging with the young kids/babies.

This right here. On Wonder, we did the scavenger hunt and we had to take a picture with an officer. He asked if he could hold our daughter for the picture because she reminded him of his daughter at home who was a similar age. He was so genuine it was impossible for us to say no.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to report on my experience with this since I asked the original question.  We had booked the 2 bedroom grand suite for myself, my wife, and my daughter's family which included a recently turned 2 granddaughter.  The waiter went out of his way to take care of her and help keep her entertained and quiet during dinner (and other meals).  However, I did find myself excusing myself early after the main course on most nights to take her down to the merry-go-round while everyone else finished deserts and after dinner drinks.  Her attention span was just not there for the duration of the courses.  For me, as a grandpa that lives in a different state from my granddaughter, this worked out because we spent some quality one-on-one time together.  But for others, I could see them getting frustrated if they felt they wanted the "whole" costal kitchen experience.