Mariner The Good, The Bad, and The Mattresses

CanHardlyWait

OK, home from my 6 night Mariner. We visited Labadee, Jamaica, and PDCC. Thankfully we were not effected by the hurricane at all. 

The most negative thing I can say aside from the mattresses (the floor was softer) was the low rent attitude of (some) of the crowd. The 20 somethings being the absolute worst. Vaping in elevators amoung other places. Trying to bring wireless speakers into the solarium pool so everyone could here what they wanted to here. Arguing about it with the life guards who said there is a band and music at the main pool. While others had their own headsets on. The smell of weed everywhere. The fact that you are one of four thousand people just went right over some people's heads.  

Moving on..........

The ship

Mariner and it's public area's hold up very well for a ship her age. All the public spaces, lounges, theater, pools, etc look very good and not overly worn. The cabins however are in desperate need of a makeover. Carpet and drapes are dusty and worn-out. Mattresses are bricks. But the room itself is still very functional. Please get new mattresses. Overall the ship holds up very well for her age.

The Entertainment

Had very very low expectations after doing Wonder in May. The shows were good. No super big wow factor, but good. Every performance was enjoyable. One older comedians jokes were about the ship, buffet, waiting for the elevator. He needs new material badly. The rest were fantastic. Jeff Tractra who does impersonations and sings was amazing. He was the big A list act and was really great. For soap fans he played Thorn on Bold and Beautiful for many years. The in house shows put on by royal were very entertaining as well. As was the ice show. Very talented people. 

The silent dance party was a lot of fun. It was the first ever that we stayed up for. Didn't start till 10:30pm. We sat, didn't dance. LOL. But we stood and put are arms in the air and sang along. We really enjoyed it. 35 minutes in a drunk 20 something dropped his drink on the dance floor. Glass went everywhere. They had to turn on the lights and clear the floor. Came on speaker and said he ruined 😒 it for everyone. That it would take 15 min to clean all the glass and by then the party would be over. We all left early and everyone gave him dirty looks for bringing a glass onto the dance floor. And the crew / DJ etc kept making announcements singling him out. They embarrassed him. It was fantastic pay back. 

The Crazy Quest game was another first for us. Again, didn't start till after 10pm. It was a blast. We were probably 2 out of 25 people over 50 in the room. All the participants were under 35. They took it very seriously and took off more clothing then I ever could at this age. It was a blast. Really fun. So glad we sat in the back. I had no underpants I was willing to contribute so the front rows would not have been for me. LOL. Enjoyed it.

70s party on the promenade. We were given an upgrade to a promenade view so we went up to our room on deck 7 and danced along to the party from our window. It just happened to be dead center and we had the best view of the entire party. Again, a total blast.

Promenade View. It was fun as an upgrade. Would I pay extra for it, no. Did I enjoy it, yes. The only real time the sound would be a problem is if you go to bed before 10pm on a night when there is a 70s or 80s dance party. That was from 9pm to 10pm and the music comes right into your cabin. It was fun and we made the most of having the view. Still nothing beats an inside cabin for darkness and sleep. 

The food. No specialty dining for us. We had 3 dinners in the MDR. The rest in the Windjammer. And one night at Playmakers. They need to get better quality beef. All the meats were fatty and chewy. I truly believe what ever savings they make on cheap cuts is lost in volume people leave on their plates. I would get 4 plates of food in the Windjammer to find a lean fat free piece of steak, roast beef, etc. It's so hit or miss per slice from poor quality cuts of beef. What they call Italian food is a crime against nature. What I believe is the simplest food to make. They need a new head chef. The basics of the ingredients are there. It's the execution that is horrible. Italian food specifically. A big shout out to the roast turkey dinner. Excellent. And a surprise new favorite that I thought was the best thing I have ever had on Royal Caribbean the Beef Bourguignon. It was fantastic. I cannot believe I missed it in the past. It had flavor and seasoning. Not bland. Definitely marinated and cooked with wine. A 100% real and proper dish cooked with flavor. Playmaker was OK at best. I think I've read too much hype. It was just OK to me. I think Johnny Rocketts is better. Wasn't bad, just nothing special.

This was a 6 night trip. We booked this trip last minute. About 2 months out. Paid $540 pp for an inside cabin GTY. Got free upgrade to promenade view. Had several options but Matt said in a video that Mariner was a good value for your money and that had stuck in my head. Well hold on to your freaking hats......I agree with Matt!!! LOL. Now see that's funny because it doesn't always happen. LOL. 

It was a good price and a good ship. I doesn't show it's age too much and is most definitely worth $500 or $600 for a week. Overall we would absolutely 100% do Mariner again in a heartbeat. A very good time was had and it's a grand old ship. Mariner is well worth considering. 

Unfortunately as I have been writing this we tested positive for Covid. Luckily we felt nothing till we got home Friday night. Had sore throats Saturday and have just come from Medicenter today. I'm thankful it didn't kick in till we got home. LOL. 

But a very good time was had. Mariner is a great ship and in good shape for her age. It's off to Icon next May. Honestly, if we hadn't already bought the airfare and pre stay hotel in Miami (all non refundable) for next May already. I would switch to Mariner and save bet 50% and 60% overall. We did purchase Icon on day one when it came out, so we are paying a 3rd of what they are now asking. But in future I would definitely save money and choose Mariner again. 

Oh great, now I'm not so looking foward to my cruise on Mariner of the Seas this January. Especially with what you described as the most negative thing. I don't have the patience for that kind of behavior. That kind of behavior belongs on the Carnival 3 day booze cruises. I'm not going to cancel, but someone at Royal really needs to step up and enforce the rules. Enough of the no no bad bad. People know dam well what they can and cannot do on a ship. But they also know it's only illegal if they get caught.

6 hours ago, USFFrank said:

Oh great, now I'm not so looking foward to my cruise on Mariner of the Seas this January. Especially with what you described as the most negative thing. I don't have the patience for that kind of behavior.

Every week is different. Someone experienced some awful behavior on Wonder in June just weeks after I was on & it was nothing like that for us.

I was on Oasis in Jan and there were so many people vaping, like walking the promenade and vaping. This cruise was full of actual children. So, it is not just the shorter cruises on small/mid-level ships. It is people in general who lack couth.

I have a 5N on mariner in Jan, with my mother and brother who have never been on the smaller class ships. I told them to temper the expectations when it comes to shows, activities, food, and general people. 

Meant to respond to the mattress comments...

We had three different cabins on Indy last year... the mattresses were fine in two of them but one was as you described. I actually don't mind sleeping on concrete for some reason but my wife was not happy. After the first night our cabin attendant made the bed with a comforter under the sheets (no egg crates available) and she was fine after that.

11 hours ago, USFFrank said:

Oh great, now I'm not so looking foward to my cruise on Mariner of the Seas this January. Especially with what you described as the most negative thing. I don't have the patience for that kind of behavior. That kind of behavior belongs on the Carnival 3 day booze cruises. I'm not going to cancel, but someone at Royal really needs to step up and enforce the rules. Enough of the no no bad bad. People know dam well what they can and cannot do on a ship. But they also know it's only illegal if they get caught.

I don't think the bad behavior was at all Mariner specific. It was a perfect storm of groups of certain age, sale pricing, time of year, etc. And some just being a general lack of class and basic manners that sadly can be found anywhere. We did keep joking in private that everyone got on the wrong ship and it didn't say Carnival on the side. LOL. But it was a combination of things. Like I said....We would do Mariner again in a heartbeat. 

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have a 5N on mariner in Jan, with my mother and brother who have never been on the smaller class ships. I told them to temper the expectations when it comes to shows, activities, food, and general people. 

As far as shows and activities I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, no "wow" factor I would tell them, but very enjoyable. I think going in knowing this is not an Oasis class with no venues that size is wise. I went in expecting a juggling act and was very impressed by it. I thought that was all I would get and was pleasantly wrong. 2 production shows, 3 comedians, 1 also a singer, 1 impressionist, 2 types of juggling/comedy acts. Very full mix.

As for food. Same "could be improved on" MDR and Windjammer menu and food as on larger ships. Absolutely no better no worse. And limited variety of specialty restaurants. Which are technically located within the Windjammer. Chops and Jamie's being after the wash stations inside the Windjammer on the left and right. Obviously part of the Windjammer they reclaimed for this and built walls up for. Izumi in a little pocket off the stairs between the promenade and the elevators. But down one deck. Very obvious they are added locations where space was possible. 

Again, if everyone goes in knowing and thinking smaller then Oasis class with no "Wow" expectations in mind, it's a great class of ship and a great time can be had. 

People were the only downside. The ship and what it has to offer is very good for it's age and class of ship. 

I'll just say again. I'm a very critical person. Also having grown up in restaurant kitchens and gone to culinary school what Royal does and doesn't do with basic ingredients drives me nuts. (again, no better or worse than Wonder) All that said I had one of the best times ever on this ship. I do think Voyager class is a great design. Unfortunately low rent attitudes and behavior can happen anywhere. But overall I really think Mariner is well maintained and does a fantastic job for it's age, class, and budget. Absolutely would do it again. 100%.

I have been on Mariner twice, once before the restart and once after. The first time I went she had just been amped and it was amazing, I enjoyed all the productions and had an amazing time. Then I went in Jan 2022 and was so disappointed. The talent was C/D as I left in the beginning or middle of every performance and don't get me started on the food. 

Mariner is okay in that it ranks higher than Grandeur but not on my list as a top anything. It was the ship I was served raw chicken twice on, which are the only times I was served raw chicken. Once at brunch with the waffles and then during the first night of the old menus. I am giving the ole gal another shot in Jan, as I have to take my experiences in 2022 with different lenses. I hope I love her the same as I did in 2019.

All these Mariner stories...

We sailed her twice 15-16 years ago (my 2nd and 3rd cruises ever after my honeymoon). On one of those cruises, our 5th anniversary cruise, there was an intro song used for every show and event in the main theater and Studio B as well as elsewhere called "Love Today" by Mika.

It was catchy and we heard it so many times that my wife made it her ringtone for me afterwards... and it has remained that way ever since.

We will always remember that more than anything specific about the ship itself, lol.

33 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

It was the ship I was served raw chicken twice on,

Oh I get being gun shy after that. But it can happen on any ship. I had raw chicken in my chicken cordon blue on Wonder in May. Still can't bring myself to try it again. 

Only thing I hadn't mentioned was breakfast in the Windjammer. Super busy. Twice we carried our food and juice all the way forward to the solarium where we had just hogged seats. But we did go one at a time to always be using at least one chair. Look for a table all the way front by the entrance. Most folks pass them by and focus on the back. Also, If crew sees you stressed in the front looking for a table, they may offer you a table in Jamie's or Chops to use. 

I hope you have a better food experience this time. I found it to be the same as Wonder. No better, no worse.

And a P.S. 

I forgot to check if they were still trying out embarkation lunch in the MDR. I asked at dinner night one and the question totally blew the waiters mind. He said yes eventually. Day two he said no. Day 5 he asked if I ever found out. LOL. Hey, I tried. LOL.