Transatlantic

4 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

For those that have done a crossing, is there any preference in going west to east vs east to west? I've heard it's easy to adjust going east to west

I have a strong preference for East to West. 

If you like sea days and are cheap, like me 🙂 you'll love the transatlantic cruises!

5 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

For those that have done a crossing, is there any preference in going west to east vs east to west? I've heard it's easy to adjust going east to west

I prefer Westbound, from Europe to America.

The time changes are overnight night and they seem gentler on my system.  I can stay up later and don't feel tired.

On Eastbound, from America to Europe the time changes are often done midday.  Day after day it's breakfast, now it's lunch, now it's happy hour.  Sleep, eat, drink, repeat.   Where did the day go?  Time to eat again, but I'm not hungry yet.  

As an American the taxes are lower buying a one way plane ticket from America to Europe.  The taxes and fees for a one way flight from Europe to America are higher.  

3 hours ago, Cakemeister said:

I have a strong preference for East to West. 

If you like sea days and are cheap, like me 🙂 you'll love the transatlantic cruises!

Never done one, but am looking at something different. Prices are definitely attractive. Last cruise I was talking about it with somebody who had spent like 30 years in the navy and he was mentioning to go east to west

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I prefer Westbound, from Europe to America.

The time changes are overnight night and they seem gentler on my system.  I can stay up later and don't feel tired.

On Eastbound, from America to Europe the time changes are often done midday.  Day after day it's breakfast, now it's lunch, now it's happy hour.  Sleep, eat, drink, repeat.   Where did the day go?  Time to eat again, but I'm not hungry yet.  

As an American the taxes are lower buying a one way plane ticket from America to Europe.  The taxes and fees for a one way flight from Europe to America are higher.  

Never thought about the flight costs. Just checked some random flights from for Toronto and Buffalo and they are all significantly cheaper going over than coming back. 

Unless you are staying in Europe for months, you are going to be dealing with jet lag on one leg or the other. We have found moving East, living on the East Coast, to be more difficult. I would also add unless you are a champion sleeper jet lag stinks. Most seasoned travelers drug themselves to combat this issue. I'm a good sleeper but don't want to take something, and don't sleep on the plane. We found the stay up method on Eastbound flights to work pretty well. You will be kind of groggy so no major life decisions but a good tourist.    

We are taking a Transatlantic for the first time next April.  We are sailing to Southampton, spending about 5 days in London then sailing back on Queen Mary 2 to New York.  We priced out air flights from London and surrounding cities and found that it was almost half price for us to cruise for a week back.  We have an inside room on QE2 but that's better than 15 hours of flying on two different planes.