Parking at port Liberty

We sailed from NJ in June. For the first time in many years of sailing from this port, we were not able to park in the garage and were directed to a lot across from the terminal. We still paid at the box at the end of our cruise, same as when we park in the garage.

I actually liked the lot parking better, surprisingly. It was much quicker getting to our vehicle and leaving. But the car was DIRTY.

12 hours ago, fireclan said:

We sailed from NJ in June. For the first time in many years of sailing from this port, we were not able to park in the garage and were directed to a lot across from the terminal. We still paid at the box at the end of our cruise, same as when we park in the garage.

I actually liked the lot parking better, surprisingly. It was much quicker getting to our vehicle and leaving. But the car was DIRTY.

We had the exact same experience parking in the lot when we sailed out of Cape Liberty last summer.  We definitely paid at the box afterwards, and getting in and out was exceptionally easy.

The outside lots have 2 different ways of doing things.  The one across from the terminal gives you the ticket and you can pay at the machines when you get off the ship. The machines are located outside of the garage.  
the other outdoor lots are located directly straight ahead, as you are “leaving” the terminal area, or to the right as you are “leaving the terminal”.  -instead of making a left to exit the terminal area you make a right.  Those lots have attendants that take card only and you pay before you enter the lot.  I just did this 2 weeks ago on Liberty (the lot that’s straight ahead) and hubby just parked to the right -a lot I never knew existed-this week for his Liberty sailing.

When we cruised last July out of Bayonne they told us at around 9:30am they were blocking the parking garage for now and to park in outside lot. 
We went to other lot. Then around 10:30, they reopened it. If you had a special need, you could let them know and they would let you in. 
So I guess it depends what time you happen to be there. 
It was an easy process at the outside lot, besides car being dirty. We did pay ahead when we entered lot so easier to leave.  

Yeah I think it’s hit or miss with parking in the garage.  When I arrived last August it was around 9:15 and the garage was blocked off since the previous passengers were still leaving!  I drove around and parked along the water for about 15 minutes or so and then tried again to get into the garage.  😁 it was just opening for new parking and I entered and found a spot immediately!

You just never know what timing is best to arrive to grab the garage parking!

Parking at Port Liberty is guaranteed. $30 per night. Where you park depends on how many ships are using the port at the time.

When it’s just the Anthem sailing…parking is usually in the garage right next to the port and the overfill goes into the open lot across the street. When there are more ships sailing, especially with the Oasis, the garage is usually only for handicapped (and sometimes back to back cruisers) and the rest go into the open lots. Once the lot across the street fills (and both sides of the street leading to it), you may be directed to another open lot about two blocks distance away…or any other open space they can squeeze you in. There are plenty of workers directing you where and how to park. They provide shuttle buses for anyone who prefers not to walk.

The entire port area is on a peninsula and there is no local traffic..except for the workers at the dry dock and people visiting Tear Drop Monument Park. Virtually all of the nearby buildings are empty. The area used to be a Military Ocean Terminal that was shut down years ago. The one road in and out is in need of repair so drive carefully.

As posted above, if you use the garage…you will receive a ticket on the way in and you can pay at the machines prior to going back into the garage at the end of your cruise. But, if you forget…there are attendants who will help you pay with your credit card when you get to the exit. If you park in the lot across the street…same process. Except sometimes they may have attendants with handheld devices who charge your credit card as you enter rather than pay as you exit. This saves time when you leave as it eliminates the line of people waiting to pay on the way out. The other, further away lot is just pay as you enter. Again…much easier leaving. Get in and go. Enjoy your cruise!

Here’s a photo showing the parking…the arrow shows the furthest lot. Photo taken from onboard Liberty. The white roofed building in the foreground is the cruise terminal.

IMG_0488.thumb.jpeg.791b802feeb5f9663761ff65cafdbf63.jpeg

We have sailed out of Liberty multiple times.  

100 lashes with a wet spaghetti noodle but this is what we figured out.

Largest ship gets the covered parking lot.  Smaller ship gets the uncovered parking lot.  

Think about it they only have 1 ship a day sailing in, hence that is the lot they will have available.

The negative regarding Liberty is how it becomes a traffic jam to funnel into luggage drop off.  They have people directing you to park.  In other words you don't get to decide I want to park in the garage.  It may have changed lately since we have been sailing out of Miami but I doubt it...ready to be hit with a wet noodle

@Pima1988 Yes…that’s both the bad and the good. The bad is as more cars arrive later in the afternoon, they make you wait in line for an available drop off spot before you can approach the terminal. That causes traffic to back up.

The good is, rather than a Mad Max free for all where everyone jockeys for position, there are plenty of workers to direct traffic and point you to a specific numbered space when it’s your turn. Then after you drop off your luggage, it’s pretty simple to pull out and go park your car. Plus they want to control the amount of traffic as people are exiting the terminal and crossing the street.

If the garage is available to non-handicapped, you can pull in and the attendant will hand you a ticket. If not…then there are plenty of workers to direct you where to park. Just go with the flow.

IMG_0489.thumb.jpeg.2623e01f09f6ad3ee20723e0bd1f574d.jpeg

7 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Does anyone else's GPS kinda go crazy going to the Port Liberty? It took to that huge construction site and I had to switch GPS systems. Parking there can be chaotic but not insane. People can be rude though. Just ignore and move on. That's what I do. 

Just returned from a cruise at Port Liberty this morning.  Be sure to use this address:  4 Port Terminal Blvd, Bayonne

I had no trouble using Waze to find the port.  Hope you have better luck next time! 

This was my first time driving to a port and it was so nice to be in my car heading home instead of in transportation to the airport for the journey home. 

We disembarked at Port Liberty yesterday. Last time we were in the garage, this time we parked in the lots past the garage. Short 5 minute walk, easy peasy. Last year when we parked in the garage we paid on the way out…less convenient that pre-paying in the lot this time. We loaded the car and drove away. That said, neither were burdensome. Easy in, easy out.