Royal makes every competitor a better cruise line

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

Some ideas are best left unshared…

😝

Except if you look at their overhaul, it's a bit different than Royal's. Though it probably helps that the general consensus on Carnival's MDR was that Royal's was significantly better.

"And while Royal Caribbean cut its menus back, Duffy [Carnival's president] said that Carnival has very different plans.

"We plan to bring more variety with nearly 60 new entree presentations that will rotate through the menu in Main Dining Room," she said.

The new menu will include offerings from the cruise line's specialty dining restaurants across the fleet.

"We're also addressing bigger portion offerings on certain entrees based on your feedback," she added.

Duffy also made it clear that fan favorites would still have a place on the menu and that more vegetarian choices are being added. The cruise line will also add an entree salad -- a "nice big salad with a protein," she shared."

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-shares-huge-main-dining-room-menu-changes

13 hours ago, Rackham said:

Except if you look at their overhaul, it's a bit different than Royal's. Though it probably helps that the general consensus on Carnival's MDR was that Royal's was significantly better.

"And while Royal Caribbean cut its menus back, Duffy [Carnival's president] said that Carnival has very different plans.

"We plan to bring more variety with nearly 60 new entree presentations that will rotate through the menu in Main Dining Room," she said.

The new menu will include offerings from the cruise line's specialty dining restaurants across the fleet.

"We're also addressing bigger portion offerings on certain entrees based on your feedback," she added.

Duffy also made it clear that fan favorites would still have a place on the menu and that more vegetarian choices are being added. The cruise line will also add an entree salad -- a "nice big salad with a protein," she shared."

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-shares-huge-main-dining-room-menu-changes

I was under the impression that people found Carnivals food better? Or is it just some areas like buffets...or just the amount of FREE food available. I know I constantly see people praising something about Carnival food (but that's about it)

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

I was under the impression that people found Carnivals food better? Or is it just some areas like buffets...or just the amount of FREE food available. I know I constantly see people praising something about Carnival food (but that's about it)

My understanding was Royal's MDR and speciality dining was better (maybe the buffet was well), but Carnival's quick service and other included options put Royal's to shame. 

I think MSC, NCL, Carnival and Royal all have area's where they shine and push their competitors to be better and I think the dark horse here is MSC.  I've cruise with MSC 3 times from Florida.  The first cruise was when they first came to the US-Caribbean market it was terrible I think they were to new to the US-Caribbean market and didn't fully understand the difference between the US and European customer.  However my last cruise on Meraviglia right before the pandemic was great.  MSC if I'm not mistaken is the largest cruise operator in Europe they are relatively small here in the US, but where MSC excels is first and foremost their food.  Some of the best food I've had on a cruise ship and their 21 hour buffet something Royal absolutely refuses to do. Secondly MSC's entertainment (night shows) change every night and hey are around an hour long not 2-3 hours in length.  The lone exception here in the US can be found on Meraviglia with Cirque du Soleil which never changes but by the way those 2 Cirque blows just about every Royal Caribbean show out of the water.  The only shows Royal has in my opinion that can compete against Cirque du Soleil are their Aqua Theater shows. 

Back to Royal I think their biggest impact on the market is cruise ship innovation and design.  Royal has really by themselves push the idea that the ship itself can be and should be a destination and not just a vessel to transport people from place to place and they done it again with Icon although I'm in no hurry to get on that ship I think it will be overrun with kids.  Another area where I think Royal is really forcing change is in the area of private islands. What Royal has done with Coco Cay (there is something there for everyone no matter the age or activity level) is simply amazing.  If they can pull off the Bahamas beach club it again is going to be yet another game changer. And that Bahamas beach club is really going to be a symbolic middle finger in the face of NCL, Carnival and MSC because of its location there is no way for passengers to miss seeing this beach club when sailing into port, while in port, when leaving port they won't be able to escape Royal's beach club but they also can't use it.  

Where Royal needs to step up and improve is with their food (it has gotten better than where it was during 2021 and 2022) but they still have room for improvement, and secondly their IT as we all know still has lots of room for improvement.