The Key is 40.99 😲🤣🤣🤣🤣

Would you say The Key was a waste if you could get it for the same cost as you intended to pay for internet anyway?  How about $10 total more for the week?  How about $20?  You get my point.  There is a place where the residual benefits make sense and a line where it stops making sense.  The price fluctuates so much that it is hard to say things like "The Key is a waste of money" and have it be true for all cases or even most cruises for some parties.   I personally need the delta to be in the neighborhood of $35-$45 total per person to begin to consider it.

Having said that, I am showing 50 bucks pp/day on a cruise or about $33/day more than Internet of a total of $231 more than the cost of internet.  That's a steep climb for a small priority board, carryon luggage handling, a lunch, a few hours of dedicated time and seem reserved seats in the shows. 

Someone will pay the %50 so they ask it.  There will be a sale at some point where they try to extract as much delta as is left in the product by reducing the price and filling their slots.

image.png.d7fe26d0ad852657f39cf11589e9260c.png

Well ok, I will clarify. In general to me it's a waste of money for what you get. That's just my opinion, I'm glad it works for some at certain prices. That being said 40.99 is super high, usually I see it in the 20's. Like between 25 and 29. 40.99 is yikes high. 

I still am confused about one part of "The Key". You get internet with the purchase of "The Key" correct? So my wife, our son 9 and myself would have to purchase the key all together. So each of would be paying for "The Key". Do each of us get internet or we literally share one device between us? Meaning with the purchase of "The Key" do each of us get an individual Internet plan or just one we have to share? That might change my mind slightly but it would still have to be closer to 20 bucks per person per day. 

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

You each get an individual plan with one device.

Ah ok, that does kinda close the gap slightly. But again it would still need to be very close to 20.99. we get the Internet but most two devices 3 of us share basically. We do book Chops in embarkation day just because it's a relaxing nice calm start to our cruise. That has become a tradition for us since last summer on Adventure. We have it booked in Liberty for Oct and we have Jamie's lunch on embarkation day on Anthem in February. We will always book specialty on embarkation day going forward if it's offered. Thanks for the info. 

35 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

For us unless we could get it for ridiculously cheap, would never get it. We don't get the internet package so there is no real benefit

True, if you don't regularly get the Internet there really isn't much reason to get "The Key". I mean that offsets a lot of the cost. Knowing it's per person per day does make it more appealing for us but would still need it close to 20 or 24.99. 

20 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

True, is you did regularly get the Internet there really isn't much reason to get "The Key". I mean that offsets a lot of the cost. Knowing it's per person per day does make it more appealing for us but would still need it close to 20 or 24.99. 

Yes, If we did get the internet, I might jump if it was couple bucks more a day

3 minutes ago, bobroo said:

How are we going to have a super spectacular 40% off sale if we don't jack up the prices first???

< an audible soft voice from a sea of cubicles deep within in the RC marketing department>

Ah that just be what is going on because all 3 of our booked cruises are super high for the Key. 40.99 and one was 42.99. I mean talk about ouch. 

Along the same theme, we did a "why not" reservation for 3 day Nassau/Coco Cay trip on Rhapsody Thanksgiving weekend from Ft. Lauderdale. Reserved the much revered beach bed at Breezy Bay, and nothing else.  Refreshment package has fluctuated between $31.99 & $33.99 pp/pd. Nope. The Key which we would never do anyway was $42.99 pp/pd when I looked. Hellllllllllllllll NO! Dining, similar story. Internet $17.99 pppd. I'm thinking Wi-Fi on Rhapsody given its age is probably tin cans and strings everywhere, at best probably not as good as newer ships regardless of who's providing the satellite service. It's only a 3 day cruise, perfect time to stick the phones in the safe...........

Except for the beach bed, it shall be an a' la carte cruise for us.

I bought the Key on our upcoming sailing on sale at 24.99.  Its 37.99 right now.  Internet was 16.99 per day so I'm only paying an additional 8 dollars per day.  That 8 dollars is worth priority embarkation, reserved seats for shows, priority disembarkation and while the times allowed for certain activities like a hour on the flowrider seem to be a joke, I take full advantage of that hour.  Hell I would pay 8 dollars a day just for priority embarkation.  After seeing the line at the new terminal in Galveston in February to due the inability of people to listen and check in at their assigned times, I'll gladly pay to check in at a separate line and be one of the first to board to make my dining reservations.   

18 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

I bought the Key on our upcoming sailing on sale at 24.99.  Its 37.99 right now.  Internet was 16.99 per day so I'm only paying an additional 8 dollars per day.  That 8 dollars is worth priority embarkation, reserved seats for shows, priority disembarkation and while the times allowed for certain activities like a hour on the flowrider seem to be a joke, I take full advantage of that hour.  Hell I would pay 8 dollars a day just for priority embarkation.  After seeing the line at the new terminal in Galveston in February to due the inability of people to listen and check in at their assigned times, I'll gladly pay to check in at a separate line and be one of the first to board to make my dining reservations.   

The priority embarkation is definitely a plus. We usually board pretty early and quick but they still a nice perk with the Key. Priority tendering seems to be a good perk also. We tender in Bar Harbor in October. 

10 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

The priority embarkation is definitely a plus. We usually board pretty early and quick but they still a nice perk with the Key. Priority tendering seems to be a good perk also. We tender in Bar Harbor in October. 

Yeah, I'm the kind of person that hates waiting and I have no problem paying to bypass a line.  I realize not everyone sees a value in that but its huge for me.  I guess its just like anything else, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  I agree that 40.99 is ridiculous though.  I would only buy on sale.  

I see no value in the Key even moreover now that I am D+. I always get internet. But it has been $35+ even with every sale. I don't do the Flowrider, and the seating is not in an ideal location. I mostly get the UDP so embarkation lunch is taken care of. Plus I always get a good check in time. I am pretty sure lots of people find value even at $50, which is why Royal can charge it.

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I see no value in the Key even moreover now that I am D+. I always get internet. But it has been $35+ even with every sale. I don't do the Flowrider, and the seating is not in an ideal location. I mostly get the UDP so embarkation lunch is taken care of. Plus I always get a good check in time. I am pretty sure lots of people find value even at $50, which is why Royal can charge it.

There are definitely arguments both ways but I'm more on your side. I just don't see the value in it for me personally. We board very early, and at Cape Liberty you don't wait around much, or at least we don't. At 40.99 it doesn't make any sense. It was something 1,100 bucks for our cruise. 🤣 That's almost half the price of what we paid for the cruise itself! 

15 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

The Priority Board is good, but with diligence you'll be right there with The Key people.  Priority Tendering is a biggie but only of course exists on some cruises.  We also like the carryon drop off.  We carry wine onboard and it's nice to shed the carryon's, get a little lunch and enjoy things on Day 1.

Not all ships are created equal when it comes to reserved times.  Quantum for example will also offer reserved times for Bumper cars and the coveted iFly and Northstar.  They aren't weird times, but a block of several times set aside for The Key guests to select and ensure access to the free experience.

We have a Tween and young adult that still get value from reserved times.  I will say that once you've seen all of the shows and if you don't care to climb the rock wall or surf etc it's a big part of the program that then holds no value.

It really takes the right combination of sailing interests and cost difference to make it work.  I don't feel like we need it, but also have not regretted it the times it dropped low enough that we chose it