Self disembarkation from Oasis in Miami

Looking forward to my cruise on Apr 23-30 just having a terrible time getting a reasonable airfare to NYC. Kept on waiting for the fares to drop but they are just plain ridiculous. Just found a flight leaving out of FLL at 11:30. If I do the self disembarkation what are my chances of making it to FLL in time? 

9 hours ago, belle809 said:

Looking forward to my cruise on Apr 23-30 just having a terrible time getting a reasonable airfare to NYC. Kept on waiting for the fares to drop but they are just plain ridiculous. Just found a flight leaving out of FLL at 11:30. If I do the self disembarkation what are my chances of making it to FLL in time? 

the biggest call out to note is that you really need to factor in the time to get an elevator in the morning if you are doing self-disembarkation.

like others have mentioned, you are going to want to be one of the first ones off the ship -- getting an elevator off symphony two weeks ago was a nightmare. self embarkation starts at 7:35 so we left our cabin at 7:10 and we should have left at 7am the latest and queued up. from there, one person stays with the bags on deck 5, and one person goes to grab a bite from park cafe, etc.

miami has the facial recognition, so you should be able to sail thru customs as long as you are traveling with a passport. those with a birth certificate are sectioned off to a different line.

16 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

There are stairs that one can use. But depending on which deck you are on and how heavy your luggage is, elevator is usually the way to go.  

Not if there's a mile-long line 😄

I'll hustle our suitcases down 8 flights of stairs to avoid the elevator line.  I need the steps anyway.

1 hour ago, jp1 said:

Are there stairs that you can use?

there are… but being as i had a 50lb suitcase, a duffel bag and a hard case roller carryon, and we were on deck 10…. 

GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

also J, my travel buddy, had two bags of her own, and her “wheeled” luggage didn’t really…. wheel. 

i am not @Ampurp85 when i travel 😂 she can do a carryon only and i’m amazed by it every time. 

1 hour ago, belle809 said:

Thank goodness I am an early riser. Any suggestions on the best way to get to the airport should I chance the shuttle bus or take a cab?

i would recommend an uber; they are speedy as heck on arrival to the port, and you are not incumbent upon waiting for a shuttle to load or other passengers’ timeframe. just you and yours and the wide open road.

I second this idea of rideshare, shuttles have to wait to be filled. 

If you can get into whatever vehicle by at least 8am you will be fine. Always remember that whatever time your flight is scheduled to leave you need to be at the gate at least 30min before that.

13 hours ago, belle809 said:

What is your definition of "reasonable airfare" and "plain ridiculous"? I see relatively normal airfare on those dates. 

3 hours ago, belle809 said:

Thank goodness I am an early riser. Any suggestions on the best way to get to the airport should I chance the shuttle bus or take a cab?

We just got off Oasis. Like others have said, I would make sure to have a passport. The facial recognition side takes seconds. Carry your own luggage off the ship and do so early. If you can muscle it down the stairs you will be better off than trying to get an elevator. You can pre-book and Uber too if you want which allows you to set a time that it arrives. 

I usually get up at 5:30, get ready and arrive at the Windjammer at 6. Eat breakfast and then go get my stuff and go get in line. This almost always allows me to be one of the first off. But you should prepare to wait in line for a while. Worth it if you want to make an earlier flight and avoid the insane crowds that follow. And elevators are easy to get that early too!

15 hours ago, belle809 said:

I though the only cruise out from Cape Liberty on April 23 is the Anthem of the seas, which is 8 days and should be 4-23 to 5-1.  Since I am on that cruise

22 minutes ago, KevinK said:

I though the only cruise out from Cape Liberty on April 23 is the Anthem of the seas, which is 8 days and should be 4-23 to 5-1.  Since I am on that cruise

I think their cruise is from FLL with a return to NYC by flight.

19 hours ago, KevinK said:

Sorry just to clarify leaving on the Oasis out of Miami on Apr 23 coming home on the 30th. already have my airfare going to Miami just looking at the flights to come home.  I love leaving out of NY drive to pier, park and hop on the ship, just wish we had more options. 

20 hours ago, GregD said:

We just got off Oasis. Like others have said, I would make sure to have a passport. The facial recognition side takes seconds. Carry your own luggage off the ship and do so early. If you can muscle it down the stairs you will be better off than trying to get an elevator. You can pre-book and Uber too if you want which allows you to set a time that it arrives. 

What deck do I need to be on to get off? Thinking of how many flights I need to drag my suitcase. 

3 hours ago, belle809 said:

100 bucks to fly down and close to 350 fly home ! 

Haha. That isn't considered high AT ALL but let me try to help. I flew 40 weeks a year for almost 25 years and didn't even bat an eye until it was over $800 and it sometimes got over $1,500. Now, I wasn't paying but that puts it into perspective. 

Of the major airlines (there are much cheaper options on Spirit and Frontier)

American has nonstop flight options for your dates from JFK-MIA for $366.80 total. 

I assume the 11:30 AM FLL departure you are speaking of is Delta 2129 which is the cheapest at $295. 

Really want to get creative and in this case, it shouldn't matter. Fly INTO Miami and OUT of Fort Lauderdale for a slight bit of more convenience at the ~same price

If you really want cheap, Spirit will set you up but I am not a fan. 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:53 PM, BMW Hoosier said:

Haha. That isn't considered high AT ALL but let me try to help. I flew 40 weeks a year for almost 25 years and didn't even bat an eye until it was over $800 and it sometimes got over $1,500. Now, I wasn't paying but that puts it into perspective. 

Of the major airlines (there are much cheaper options on Spirit and Frontier)

American has nonstop flight options for your dates from JFK-MIA for $366.80 total. 

I assume the 11:30 AM FLL departure you are speaking of is Delta 2129 which is the cheapest at $295. 

Really want to get creative and in this case, it shouldn't matter. Fly INTO Miami and OUT of Fort Lauderdale for a slight bit of more convenience at the ~same price

If you really want cheap, Spirit will set you up but I am not a fan. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all forgot to give you an update: followed everyone's suggestions and let me tell you it was a breeze. My cabin was on Deck 10 forward I was ready by 6:15 got on an elevator right away without a problem. There were only a handful of people walking around, found the 2 exits on Deck 5 one next to Starbucks and the other over by Guest relations. I was #2 on the Starbucks side (LOL) got there at about 6:20 or so. Had to wait for the ship to clear and then the fun began. Have your sea pass ready, it felt like the running of the bulls, just kidding I was one of the first ones off the ship. Customs was painless rolled my bags out the door Uber pickup area is to the left past the elevators. I was in the car and on my way by 7:30. Miami to Ft Lauderdale on a Sunday morning driver got me there in 20 minutes could not believe it!  We won't get into flight delays and weather back to the Big Apple.  All in all it was great vacation. Now the tough decision of where to go on the next one ? Thanks everyone Happy Cruising!