Monsters of rock cruise on the Mariner

ScottD

Just saw an ad on Facebook for "Monsters of rock" cruise with like 30 hairbands playing on the Mariner in April.  I was just curious, how do those work- like what if someone booked a nice family cruise for this sailing already- are they offered another cruise, are they stuck watching Queensryche and Kix with their 9 year old kid and 80 year old grandmom? Lol... I am not booked on this, was just curious. 

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

Just saw an ad on Facebook for "Monsters of rock" cruise with like 30 hairbands playing on the Mariner in April.  I was just curious, how do those work- like what if someone booked a nice family cruise for this sailing already- are they offered another cruise, are they stuck watching Queensryche and Kix with their 9 year old kid and 80 year old grandmom? Lol... I am not booked on this, was just curious. 

It's a full ship charter so either the Cruise won't be offered to the public or if it was, they will cancel everyone who booked it when the charter is secured.

I was on the sailing last year right before the Cruise. The charter stage crew was onboard that sailing and I watched them build the stage on the pool deck throughout my cruise.

Monsters of Rock is a charter. So if it is like other charters it's not open for general booking.

We did a Rock and Romance cruise charter last Feb. It was on the Celebrity Summit. It cost quite a bit more than a regular cruise (gotta pay for the entertainment) so that would tend to exclude kids and others. It also tends to sell out quickly.  It was mostly 70's music. It was a lot of fun. 

Same company does a Flower Power cruise which is mostly 60's music.  They also do a couple other charters i.e, 50s, Jazz, Soul, etc. The Flower Power cruise is almost always sold out far in advance. In fact that's how we got on the R&R cruise, couldn't get on the FP cruise.  They are not something we would do every year but they have great music and are a lot of fun. 

The nice thing about doing a music charter is that it a relatively small venue. They play on the pool deck, lounges, main show room so you're fairly close. Another thing is you run into the acts on the ship continually. In the dining room, Oceanview cafe, elevators, bars, hot tubs, pools, etc.

The bad thing about a music charter is when you go back to a regular cruise, you really miss the great music.  I mean they started live music concerts at 10 am on the pool deck and went to well after midnight every night.

11 hours ago, ScottD said:

Most everyone has commented on "Charter Cruises" which as they say are sold to that group and are not open for general booking.

But there are also "Fan" cruises, one example is a the Texas country music cruise (BTW I am not promoting this, just using as an example)

https://www.texascountrymusiccruise.com/

What happens is a travel agency puts together basically a "Group" cruise and normally based on experience block a number of room at a certain rate.  They then add around $300-500 pp fee to, I imagine offset some of the cost they incur renting certain venues on the ship.   Those venues will be closed to the public at times so they can put on their entertainment.  I have seen and experienced all types of different venues close during these cruises.  On one cruise they closed the solarium for a whole afternoon, the general public was not even permitted to walk through it.  Star lounge is popular to close for these types of events, but i have even seen the Theatre closed for special events.

Most of the time these "Fan" cruises don't affect you a lot, but in some instances it can be mildly irritating.

11 hours ago, mac66 said:

Monsters of Rock is a charter. So if it is like other charters it's not open for general booking.

We did a Rock and Romance cruise charter last Feb. It was on the Celebrity Summit. It cost quite a bit more than a regular cruise (gotta pay for the entertainment) so that would tend to exclude kids and others. It also tends to sell out quickly.  It was mostly 70's music. It was a lot of fun. 

Same company does a Flower Power cruise which is mostly 60's music.  They also do a couple other charters i.e, 50s, Jazz, Soul, etc. The Flower Power cruise is almost always sold out far in advance. In fact that's how we got on the R&R cruise, couldn't get on the FP cruise.  They are not something we would do every year but they have great music and are a lot of fun. 

The nice thing about doing a music charter is that it a relatively small venue. They play on the pool deck, lounges, main show room so you're fairly close. Another thing is you run into the acts on the ship continually. In the dining room, Oceanview cafe, elevators, bars, hot tubs, pools, etc.

The bad thing about a music charter is when you go back to a regular cruise, you really miss the great music.  I mean they started live music concerts at 10 am on the pool deck and went to well after midnight every night.

I've done ski trips and other overnight\bus trips to watch and hang out with some musical acts, so a cruise definitely sounds like a fun way to do it! 

6 hours ago, ScottD said:

I've done ski trips and other overnight\bus trips to watch and hang out with some musical acts, so a cruise definitely sounds like a fun way to do it! 

I should have mentioned another bad thing about these charter cruises...usually your status (Diamond/Elite or above) perks don't apply.  No drink vouchers/happy hours, wifi minutes,discounts etc.  On the other hand we were allowed to bring our own booze on board and they had several events/concerts where they served free rum punch.

9 hours ago, ScottD said:

It's a lot of fun. I've only done music charters through Sixthman who exclusively uses NCL. Totally different experience from a normal cruise and it almost ruins cruising for some attendees who have never experienced a "real" cruise before.

One more time...

I had forgotten that while we were on the R&R cruise we made friends with a couple who had just gotten off another charter called Rock Legends. It was a 5 day cruise on the RCI Liberty . They said it was a good time as well. This year it's Feb 13-17.  Google it if interested,  real good lineup of acts. 

It's a charter. I did it with my brother a few years ago and had a great time.

First day, we're eating at the buffet and Joel Hoekstra (Whitesnake, Trans Siberian Orchestra formerly Night Ranger) saw me and came over to say hello. I've gotten to know him a bit from chatting after TSO shows. He does a solo band set.

All night you go from venue to venue seeing bands. Some are one hit wonders from the golden age of MTV. Alice Cooper was the headliner of the last one.

It's not for everyone, but we had a blast.