June 2024 -- Is it too early to start a count down?

Chuck586

On 12/17/2022 at 8:57 AM, wordell1 said:

We are booked on the same cruise!  We cruise out of Galveston a lot and I really like Roatan.

From what I understand the port at Galveston is really easy to get in and out of, but now I am trying to figure out how to get in and out on a flight.  It looks like I can only fly direct into the Bush airport.  Are there any difficulties getting from there to Galveston by Uber or some other kind of transfer?

I remember the old days when you could book a cruise and airfare through the cruise line and if you flew in the day before they would coordinate your stay in a couple of different hotels, based on what you wanted to spend, with hotel transfers and even check in at the hotel the morning of your cruise.  It was so seamless and easy with nothing extra to book or coordinate.  Those were the days!

13 minutes ago, Chuck586 said:

From what I understand the port at Galveston is really easy to get in and out of, but now I am trying to figure out how to get in and out on a flight.  It looks like I can only fly direct into the Bush airport.  Are there any difficulties getting from there to Galveston by Uber or some other kind of transfer?

I remember the old days when you could book a cruise and airfare through the cruise line and if you flew in the day before they would coordinate your stay in a couple of different hotels, based on what you wanted to spend, with hotel transfers and even check in at the hotel the morning of your cruise.  It was so seamless and easy with nothing extra to book or coordinate.  Those were the days!

I drive in from Austin so I get to avoid all of that.  You can either stay in overnight in Houston and make the drive in the AM, or Make the drive on arrival and stay in Galveston, or the Webster TX area which is much closer.  There are advantages/disadvantages to both.  There is a lot of info in this thread, if you have not already read it.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, Chuck586 said:

Harmony of the Seas, June 23, 2024 here we come!

We have been to Cozumel a couple of times but the Roatan stop is new for us!

Something to look forward to at least!

Loved Roatan and the sloths, monkeys and iguanas excursion, but that is a long countdown. Within a year, soft countdown, within 6 months, fun as preparations begin, but within range of my phone's weather app it becomes real!

On 12/21/2022 at 5:55 AM, Chuck586 said:

Getting to Galveston from Houston and back isn't difficult, except for us as we didn't realize our hotel was the finish line for the Houston marathon, but still a fun story pushing luggage through throngs of thousands for blocks because all the streets were blocked. There are shuttles that run between the two cities, we stayed the night before and after in Houston. Uber can be a haul from Bush as can trying to make it same day with airline delays. We went with two other couples, two flew into bush, we flew into Hobby but all stayed the night before  and after in downtown houston and booked a private car service since with six it was the same as a shuttle which charges per person. But my backup was uber and it was like $100 worst case scenario per couple and on the uber estimator it is $80 from bush to the port without any surge pricing, but the marathon would have screwed us up so do check for any major events. Where we live many friends have weekend homes in the Palm Springs area which is an hour or two from much of so cal, it's very spread out so we always uber to/from dinner so we can drink wine. Go out there during Coachella, Stagecoach or any of the music festivals that attract as many tourists as residents, it's like trying to get an uber on New Year's eve at 1230 am. I'm not sure what events houston has but do check, I learned my lesson nut I'm glad I had a car service reserved.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:55 AM, Chuck586 said:

We flew into Bush in July to get to Galveston and took Uber XL(5 of us) to stay at our hotel on the island.  We are going agin this July and are going to have another one of my sons with us, but I'm thinking we'll still squeeze  all 6 into the UberXL, as that was the cheapest option.  We are going to book a hotel near the airport this time and uber the next morning.  Our Uber driver told us that it is hard to get Uber/LyftXLs in the AM and he would just come back for us in a week.  We went that option and just paid him cash after the cruise.  

Hobby airport is closer.  Bush is 70-90 min depending on traffic, but we live in Cleveland and there are no direct flights into Hobby by us, either.

BTW, Roatan is our absolute favorite port.  We love Daniel Johnson's monkey and sloth.  We book him directly from his website.  The time, effort, and love that this man and his family puts into his business is amazing.