Jump to content

Guidelines for MDR attire


cdkeach
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

We’re first time Royal Caribbean cruisers after numerous cruises on Carnival and other lines.  I’m looking for guidance on attire in the MDR.

Many comments recently have stated that Formal Nights have been watered down to “Dress your Best” or “Dress for Success”.  Meanwhile on prior cruises (other lines) casual night typically looked down upon blue jeans.  I’ve always opted for khakis or casual slacks.

Now as I look through the cruise app (we sail this weekend) I see Formal Night described as truly formal (“Best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses, evening gowns”).  Meanwhile for casual nights state “Jeans, polo shirts, sundresses and blouses are fine”.  I’m puzzled because “formal night” seems more elevated than I expected while casual night seems much more relaxed than I’ve seen on other lines.

Appreciate any suggestions.  I’m sure we’ll see a broad range but we don’t want to be over or under dressed.

 

Thanks in advance!!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's definitely a broad range. Some wear black tie, because they enjoy it, and others wear khakis and a nice shirt. It really depends on the guest. They don't really police it, though I'd expect on formal night they'd gently remind people wearing t-shirts that it's formal night. But one could get away with a lot that isn't a t-shirt and jeans (honestly, some even come in jeans with a nice-ish shirt and they're fine). 

Personally, I avoid formal night (you're not getting me in pantyhose on vacation and I like to wear t-shirt and jeans most days, especially when relaxing). Instead, I visit the Windjammer buffet for dinner instead, or book a specialty restaurant that night.

On non-formal nights in the main dining room, you can wear almost anything except swimwear. And you need a shirt and shoes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're one that is looking for a place to dress up you will not be out of place on Formal or Dress Your Best nights. There's a lot of variety, but you will still see sequined dresses, full length gowns, tuxes, suits, the full range of fancy clothes...and also a lot of people who choose not to dress up. When I'm cruising with my husband, we will dress up at least one of the nights. When I cruise alone I just do casual. Do it your way and have a great cruise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Anymore anything goes. You will not be turned away in anything but wet swim clothes. Many, many people have jeans and t shirts even. Yes, some dress. But most tell you that because for some reason it's important to them what others have on. Polo and khakis are the norm middle range. 

Not really relating to the topic if it involves formal attire but this does have to do with the MDR.  Men will be turned away if their shirt does not have sleeves (ie...muscle shirt) even if it has pretty decent coverage of the shoulders.  They must wear a shirt with at least short sleeves!   In April, we were disembarking and decided to have breakfast in the MDR...my nephew and my husband had no sleeves but decent tops!  Nope they were turned away.  Luckily we had kept our luggage to take off ourselves so they were able to cover up and join us for breakfast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2022 at 6:30 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

Anymore anything goes. You will not be turned away in anything but wet swim clothes. Many, many people have jeans and t shirts even. Yes, some dress. But most tell you that because for some reason it's important to them what others have on. Polo and khakis are the norm middle range. 

Yep, I think this describes the situation well. On Mariner in August there were guys wearing shorts to dinner on the formal night (or Dress Your Best or whatever it's called now). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some folks don't get the point that social and communication protocols exist for a reason.  By having multiple venues with multiple protocols, RCL is able to match the guests and their moods with the experiences they seek. This maximizes guest satisfaction, which in turn might contribute to RCL revenues.   I don't see anyone complaining that fully clothed people (or fully naked people) are jumping in the pool.  I suspect this is because folks are following the protocol established for enjoying the pool.  Therefore, I can't figure out why it is so hard for folks to follow a social standard for a "nice restaurant" if they frequent a "nice restaurant".  Stated differently, can't there be a venue for people who are in the mood for a nice dinner or dancing experience?  Wouldn't a formal or dress-your-best night be a good time to offer that experience?  Now if the majority of RCL guests always seek a casual atmosphere and experience then RCL can make most venues casual to accommodate.  Oh my, they already do that!  So all that is left is providing a nice environment for a nice/special experience, right?  I don't think that should be so hard for all of us to support.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We usually avoid the first formal night and do our specialty dining. Never had an issue getting reservations that night at Chops. Over the past year we have elected to not dress formal on the 2nd, lobster night, but do dress up some. Usually I will wear slacks and a nice collared shirt and the wife will wear something that compliments...pants and blouse or dress. I am sure we will do a formal again...maybe when we do a transatlantic in a couple years.

In the MDR, CK and specialty restaurants we never wear shorts preferring to be at least dress casual. Well, I guess I should include that I do consider my good pair of wranglers with a TB shirt in that category. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, cdkeach said:

Hello everyone,

We’re first time Royal Caribbean cruisers after numerous cruises on Carnival and other lines.  I’m looking for guidance on attire in the MDR.

Many comments recently have stated that Formal Nights have been watered down to “Dress your Best” or “Dress for Success”.  Meanwhile on prior cruises (other lines) casual night typically looked down upon blue jeans.  I’ve always opted for khakis or casual slacks.

Now as I look through the cruise app (we sail this weekend) I see Formal Night described as truly formal (“Best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses, evening gowns”).  Meanwhile for casual nights state “Jeans, polo shirts, sundresses and blouses are fine”.  I’m puzzled because “formal night” seems more elevated than I expected while casual night seems much more relaxed than I’ve seen on other lines.

Appreciate any suggestions.  I’m sure we’ll see a broad range but we don’t want to be over or under dressed.

 

Thanks in advance!!
 

Where do you find this on the app please? We cruise on the 23rd Oct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, RichCruise7 said:

Where do you find this on the app please? We cruise on the 23rd Oct.

I'm don't believe you can view the dress days in the app before your cruise.  I usually look at posted cruise compasses from the same ship to get an idea.  They generally will be the same if the itinerary is the same.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Compass | Royal Caribbean Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got off Brilliance and saw everything from t-shirts to tuxes on "Dress your Best" nights.  My advice is to wear what you're comfortable in.  Just an FYI, our "formal" nights were nights 3 and 6.

 

Happy Cruising!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We wore what we consider business casual, no shorts, or jeans.  My wife wore a nicer top and slacks and I a polo shirt and dockers.  We packed in carry-on only for the 7 night cruise so no room to pack anything else.  I wore the same dockers every night so I was VERY careful not to spill on them! 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...