Alaska on Quantum…

Hi guys,

About to take the plunge on back to back 7 days from Seattle to Alaska on Quantum. Want a balcony for the views, should be look for left hand or right hand side? I know it’s port or starboard but don’t know which is which 🙂 Thanks all x

Port is the left hand side when facing forward (toward the front of the ship). 4 letters in "port", 4 letters in "left". 

And it makes no difference at all in Alaska. When docked they could face either way, and there's scenery on both sides of the ship in the inside passage. 

Enjoy! 

I leave May 5th on Ovation of the Seas( for 8 day Alaska) sister of Quantum. Since I am solo I have cabin 12631 which is a virtual balcony. Will post after cruise. 

First trip to Alaska, First time Ovation, first time inside with virtual balcony. LOL!🙃

6 hours ago, skings8 said:

I leave May 5th on Ovation of the Seas( for 8 day Alaska) sister of Quantum. Since I am solo I have cabin 12631 which is a virtual balcony. Will post after cruise. 

First trip to Alaska, First time Ovation, first time inside with virtual balcony. LOL!🙃

It’ll be really interesting to see how you got on. As we are considering back to back 7 days the cost difference is £1000, or $1400… I just don’t know if that’s too much extra for a balcony! That would cover half our excursions… It’s a tough choice!

10 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Port is the left hand side when facing forward (toward the front of the ship). 4 letters in "port", 4 letters in "left". 

And it makes no difference at all in Alaska. When docked they could face either way, and there's scenery on both sides of the ship in the inside passage. 

Enjoy! 

I love this. Thanks for passing this little gem along!

17 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

I love this. Thanks for passing this little gem along!

So, weird thing about me - 

I always book on the starboard side. Always.  When I come out of my room, I know that if I turn right, I'm going towards the front of the ship.  

My last cruise was a Lift and Shift into an Owner's Suite (which was freaking fantastic) and we didn't have a choice of where the room was (but did it matter? It was awesome!).  However, it was on the port side.  I constantly went the wrong direction when I exited the room.  I mean, I couldn't get my mind in the right space until day 6 of our sailing, lol.  It became a running joke with my husband.  I usually didn't catch the mistake until I saw the "Feed me tacos and call me pretty" poster.

Mrs Fan and I did an inside passage on another line where we stopped at Ketchikan, then Juneau, then Skagway with the bulk of the mainland on our right.  We were on the Starboard side balcony.  We are on the Quantum in June 2023 with our 3 grown kids and their spouses/partners, our first stop is Sitka, then Skagway then heading south with the bulk of the mainland on our left.  So, we have port balconies.  But for much of the trip, land is on both sides.

Alaska is cold and the ship's motion can add a breeze to the balcony experience.  Think wind chill.

That being said sometimes on Quantum class a balcony isn't that much more than non-balcony cabins.  That's because this class is predominately ocean facing balconies.  On smaller ships with fewer balcony cabins there can be a significant difference to upgrade to a balcony.  On Q class it's often very reasonable.  

I've done a virtual balcony to Alaska and I've done plain interior to Alaska.  On those occasions the money saved over a balcony was substantial.  

I've done balcony to Alaska as well when the upgrade over interior is more reasonable.  I'm in a balcony now on Serenade in Alaska and will be on Quantum next week in a balcony.  It was a relatively small cost to move up so why not?  Had the upgrade cost been significant I'd be in an interior.