At Home Covid test expiration dates

Kurtp13

I remember hearing Matt talk about an Dec 2021 expiration date for at home tests being sent out recently.   I don't know if that changes with new supply or if there were a lot manufactured at the same time.    So I was going to order tests for a Nov 2021 cruise.  I also have a Jan 2022 cruise booked.    I saw on the Optum website (RCCL home test kit supplier) a letter about an extension of 3 months for the tests granted by the FDA.     https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack

Based on additional studies, the FDA has granted a 3-month expiration extension to all lots. Please refer to this letter: FDA Approval Letter.  https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download.

It appears I would be safe to over order just to be safe for the upcoming cruise and should then be able to use them in the extension period for the Jan cruise.    What expiration dates have been noticed by those of you who purchased tests?

I got some through the website.  They were delivered about 2 weeks ago.  Their original expiration was extended by the three months to December 2021.  I was trying to do the exact same thing you are, so I took the chance and missed.  Still paid the same as three tests somewhere else to order 6 and have the spares.  

I ordered the two test kit (Optum) and received them last week.  Their expiration date is 9/21/2021, so with the 3-month extension, they will expire 12/21/2021.  That's sufficient for my needs, as I wanted them as a backup measure.  I noticed that Optum had a caveat that the kits might have an early expiration.

2 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

We were fortunate and received some tests that with an expiration date of 10/20/2021 so the extended date is 01/20/2022. Just enough time for our January 9 cruise.

We too have a Jan 9 2022 cruise (on Oasis). Scared we will get one of the Sept expiration dates. Did you order for a more recent cruise and the January cruise or were you just ordering for the January cruise and hoping for the best?

14 hours ago, Kathleen said:

We too have a Jan 9 2022 cruise (on Oasis). Scared we will get one of the Sept expiration dates. Did you order for a more recent cruise and the January cruise or were you just ordering for the January cruise and hoping for the best?

We ordered the tests for our September cruise back in August and it was the January expiration date that was delivered. When we ordered more for our other upcoming cruises the dates were all earlier (at or before the end of the year). Our son also ordered tests a couple of weeks ago for his cruise this week and his expiration dates are in December. It is the roll of the dice as to what date folks receive. Now we have 5 tests that expire in December or January 1, 1 extra from our stock and 4 from our son's, and cruises in March and May.

In other related news.

I took a Covid PCR test yesterday for unrelated reasons (had a guest stay who later came down with Covid).    I took the test at ~9 am.   I expected to wait 4-5 days for the material to be sent to the lab, processed and posted.   

I had the results today ~11 am.  Just about 26 hours later.   I was stunned.   I wish I could count on that response time.   The location is about 1 mile from my house.