Odyssey Obstructed Balcony Guide

Who doesn't love a balcony cabin?   It seems a lot of people do because balcony cabins are one of the most popular types of cabins offered to cruisers.  What could be better than reading a book, eating breakfast or enjoying a favorite beverage on your very own balcony overlooking the ocean?

Budget minded cruisers can't always afford the extra cost associated with a cabin that includes a dedicated balcony exclusively for that guest.   Enter the obstructed balcony.

Cabins with obstructed views are nothing new to the cruise industry.  For decades cruise ships have had oceanview and balcony cabins in places where ship equipment or superstructure ends up blocking the view.  The obstruction could be a lifeboat, window washing equipment or structural pieces that are required in various places around a ship.  

Quantum class ships feature a design where the lifeboats are stored near the level of deck 5 for quick access in the event of an emergency.  Their location while optimal for quick and easy access in an emergency it does mean they obstruct some views for select balcony cabins on deck 6.

The good news is these deck six cabins are offered as obstructed balconies at a discount perfect for budget minded cruise guests who are willing to accept an obstruction in the name of saving money. 

It's pretty clear when selecting these cabins they are obstructed so no one should be surprised the first time they walk into their cabin.

OV-Obstructed.jpg

What isn't clear when selecting a particular obstructed balcony cabin is how obstructed one cabin may be compared to another in the same category.  Not all obstructed balcony cabins are equally obstructed.

Lifeboats are supported and lowered into the water by davits.  Davits are very strong structural towers that can raise or lower a fully loaded lifeboat.  The davits that support lifeboats themselves are an obstruction that also block the views for some deck 6 balcony cabins on Quantum class ships.  Davits can block more view compared to a lifeboat since davits are taller than the lifeboats they support.  

Consider this picture of Ovation of the Seas.

OV-2E-1.jpg

The deck 6 obstructed ocean view cabins within the green area in the picture merely have to look over the lifeboat which sits close to or just below the height of the balcony railing.  A few cabins in either direction the lifeboat davits impose a much greater obstruction.  The cabins highlighted in yellow may be partially blocked by a davit towards one end of the balcony.  

For someone picking a cabin on a deck plan it isn't immediately evident which obstructed balconies have less obstruction versus cabins that have greater obstruction.

Now we get to the whole point of this post.  Here is a preliminary guide to which cabins have davits in front of them and are therefore more obstructed.  

OY2EGuidev1.jpg

Using various videos and photos from Odyssey of the Seas during her construction and conveyance I've estimated which balconies are more likely to have a greater obstruction.  Since no guest has actually sailed on Odyssey when this post was written this is a preliminary version until guests can begin boarding and provide feedback with respect to these obstructed balcony cabins.

Since this is a preliminary guestimate follow through with your own research to make sure you pick the best obstructed deck 6 cabin for your needs.

Note that each ship within this class has slightly different variations of lifeboats and where davits are placed.  In addition there are at least four different types of lifeboats used on each ship.  Consequently you need to be careful drawing conclusions based on guest feedback from other ships within this class.

The image above may be a little blurry from web page compression so I am also including a PDF version that should be easier to read.

Odyssey Deck 6 Obstructed Balcony Guide.pdf

Obstructed ocean view cabins are a great way to enjoy all the benefits of having your own balcony while saving money if you don't mind an obstructed view.  If you book early you can often enjoy your pick of cabins within this category all at the same price.  By selecting carefully you can enjoy a much less obstructed view while saving hundreds of dollars that can be put into beverage packages or shore excursions.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My husband just returned from a week on Odyssey - deck 6, port in a Studio. It was not obstructed, but did have a smoking area below. Also you cannot cross to the starboard elevator on deck 6 from the port side. He said the smoke was not awful and he was able to use his balcony when he wanted. But if you are very sensitive to smoke don't book a studio or "square" obstructed room on deck 6, port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We had an excellent obstructed balcony cabin on our recent Odyssey sailing. It was 6622, which we actually chose based on @twangster's predictions in the original post. Lots of open space and water. It was hardly obstructed at all, as you can see from the pics below. All of the pics were taken standing up at the rail except for the last one, which I deliberately took sitting down to demonstrate what the view would be like from that position.

The seating area just beneath us was rarely used, so we were never bothered with noise and, since the smoking deck on Odyssey is on the port side, there was no smoke to worry about either. The only thing to be aware of is that, if you are on your balcony, you are visible to people on the deck beneath you, so you'd not want to be doing anything out there that would be best left unseen!

Also, the cabin next to ours, 6624, would have an even better view but it's a 3-berth cabin so it would be a great choice for a family of three.

The location of this cabin is great too. Not quite half-way between the two sets of lifts, making it really convenient to get anywhere on the ship and, of course, just one deck up from the public areas, restaurants, Two70 etc on deck five. I would highly recommend this cabin if you're looking to save a few pennies by booking an obstructed balcony.

PXL_20220508_174116308.thumb.jpg.3eb36a745ce85a7b8b9832fec04ea4f0.jpg

PXL_20220508_174120873.thumb.jpg.7c1118dd348f20efacffbde1a044365b.jpg

PXL_20220508_174050018.thumb.jpg.fdd48f055604b3538a30f3b1e28c2cc3.jpg

PXL_20220508_174055347.thumb.jpg.5b3d30c0d6bc2e325f596dca3c25f5bf.jpg

PXL_20220510_040005461.thumb.jpg.7f784a176a755f25b83cdf414a03f0b3.jpg

PXL_20220513_050141621.thumb.jpg.e2007c18219cb9cd1da03d2f4a4b8dc9.jpg

PXL_20220510_115926237.thumb.jpg.379107216b7625d6ca38d2f762138930.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 6/24/2022 at 6:25 AM, FionaMG said:

Also, the cabin next to ours, 6624, would have an even better view but it's a 3-berth cabin so it would be a great choice for a family of three.

@FionaMG thank you so much for the pictures and advice! We've got 6624 now reserved for our little family of three for November 2024! Woohoo!

I'm glad I found this thread, I almost booked one of the red rooms on the guide instead...

3 hours ago, MJ_ said:

@FionaMG thank you so much for the pictures and advice! We've got 6624 now reserved for our little family of three for November 2024! Woohoo!

I'm glad I found this thread, I almost booked one of the red rooms on the guide instead...

My pleasure. I hope you have an amazing time! 😊

• 8 months later...