Unexpected Refund

danv3

I had a short sailing on Independence scheduled for July 3.  This sailing has not (yet) been canceled by RCI.  Just before our final payment deadline, I chose to cancel under the "Cruise with Confidence" program, understanding that since I had a non-refundable fare, our deposit would convert into a future cruise credit to be used by December 2021.  Our TA confirmed as much when I asked her to cancel.  

This morning I was checking my credit card and saw that RCI had refunded me $200...just about two weeks since I cancelled.  

Anyone else have similar experience?

There was a system glitch last  couple of nights and several people with CONFIRMED cruises were cancelled.  This is a normal cancel in their system, meaning the refund will come quicker than the other type of cancels.  If you are still on a cruise that is going and you see something that looks like your deposit or FULL payment  - check with your TA or Royal to ensure that all is well with your cruise.

I received some random refunds this morning regarding Cruise Planner purchases I cancelled on April 22, 2020. I cancelled the items and re-booked at a savings so I was really not expecting so soon. BUT the way they refunded was super confusing, not all separate the way I ordered and cancelled; but in clumps. The math does not add up and I am missing a strange amount. My accounting & receipts (I am very organized) reflect they refunded everything except one Chops Lunch, we had 3 people plus $1.00. I will wait for some time before I call but I am happy it was timely and at least a bulk of the monies were taken care of. I will give the $22.99 until the 30 days has expired, just wanted to let you guys know my experience, be safe & stay healthy!

29 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Thanks for the heads-up, @AnnetteJackson -- looks like all my cruises are good to go. Quick question: would our TAs be able to tell us what the refunds we received are for? Not that it's of big import right now, but eventually, for my own bookkeeping purposes...or rather scratchpad-keeping.

yes, maybe.... possibly  haha!  I am still trying to work out what they are doing on some... but yes we can try to help you figure it out.

I cancelled our UBP on April 21st and repurchased it saving over $212.  I got my CC credit on late Monday or early Tuesday.  I was pleasantly surprised to receive it that soon.  I'm sure those are handled differently that the FCC stuff is why but I wasn't expecting to receive it yet.  Now if we just get to go because I really will need a vacation after all this craziness!

32 minutes ago, Neesa said:

I received some random refunds this morning regarding Cruise Planner purchases I cancelled on April 22, 2020. I cancelled the items and re-booked at a savings so I was really not expecting so soon. BUT the way they refunded was super confusing, not all separate the way I ordered and cancelled; but in clumps. The math does not add up and I am missing a strange amount. My accounting & receipts (I am very organized) reflect they refunded everything except one Chops Lunch, we had 3 people plus $1.00. I will wait for some time before I call but I am happy it was timely and at least a bulk of the monies were taken care of. I will give the $22.99 until the 30 days has expired, just wanted to let you guys know my experience, be safe & stay healthy!

I had an anomaly as well.  I cancelled 2 Unlimited Dining Packages for Symphony ($199 each) and repurchased at $189 each.  I had no charge for $378, which is what the new charge should have been...but instead, had a charge for $398, which was the original price.  I called to see if I could find out anything but the hold was so long I finally gave up.  I guess it's not worth the hassle for $20 but it is a head-scratcher, for sure.

Update on cruise planner refund. I called today (because i was up and moving really early) about my Chops lunch refund, they refunded two but I purchased and then cancelled three in favor of the Key that had a great price drop. 

At first Royal said it showed all three processed and I should call my bank, I pressed because everything else was in order, I was calm and kind, explaining that my bank processed all monies so I believed they did not receive it. Thank goodness she was so kind and meticulously researched and she found the error. 

While showing the refund was processed when she actually went into the system the refund process did not complete, she apologized profusely and said she put it through again and to success, I should see the credit in about a week. 

How wonderful,  stay safe and healthy!

19 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Update on cruise planner refund. I called today (because i was up and moving really early) about my Chops lunch refund, they refunded two but I purchased and then cancelled three in favor of the Key that had a great price drop. 

At first Royal said it showed all three processed and I should call my bank, I pressed because everything else was in order, I was calm and kind, explaining that my bank processed all monies so I believed they did not receive it. Thank goodness she was so kind and meticulously researched and she found the error. 

While showing the refund was processed when she actually went into the system the refund process did not complete, she apologized profusely and said she put it through again and to success, I should see the credit in about a week. 

How wonderful,  stay safe and healthy!

Denise, while I am really glad that you had a good outcome on this, it really set off a red flag for me....that they could begin a refund process and then the process could be interrupted or not completed properly.  My guess is that this mistake was probably very difficult to discover.  I hope you are the only one to which this happens !!!!

@WAAAYTOOO yes I thought the same exact thing, that is the reason I took my time to try to explain what occurred, just in case someone else experiences a similar situation, they can refer to my experience and push the issue. Hopefully this info helps others, but I really hope it doesn't occur again. I was lucky, she could have just fluffed me off and then it would have been extra frustrating as I called my bank, then disputed the charge etc. 

Hello all. I know a little off topic but I was booked with Celebrity on the Infinity for Mar 23. A week after the cancellation my planner purchase and some taxes were refunded then yesterday out of the blue the rest was fully refunded. I expected a FCC and be given a choice but I never saw that and did not request a refund.