Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Cruise Ships Affected by the Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

Costa Smeralda - delayed in Civitavecchia (Rome) for coronavirus testing.  A passenger was diagnosed with the flu, not COVID-19

Westerdam - Denied docking in five ports before finally being allowed to dock in Cambodia.  All guests and crew members have been reported clear of COVID-19

Diamond Princess - one of the largest clusters of infection, held in Yokohoma, Japan.

World Dreamput in quarantine in Hong Kong after three passenger from a previous cruise were later found positive with the virus.

Anthem of the Seas - delayed departure from New Jersey with shortened and revised itinerary to Bermuda.  Four passengers from the previous sailing were evaluated for the virus and found negative.

Meraviglia - turned away at Jamaica and Grand Cayman, allowed to dock in Cozumel but disembarkation was not allowed while Mexican officials conducted tests.  Two passengers were found positive with flu, not COVID-19.

Grand Princess - held off the coast of San Francisco with crew members and passengers showing symptoms.  UPDATE:  As of 3/6/2020, 21 passengers have tested positive for COVID-19.

Costa Fortuna - denied permission to dock on the island of Phuket (Thailand) because 64 people on board had been in Italy in the last 14 days

MSC Opera -  turned away from Malta after doctors threatened industrial action if it docked amid coronavirus concerns. The MSC Opera's operator said it agreed not enter the country's port on Friday to "avoid unnecessary public unrest". The government said the decision followed "public alarm raised by misleading information" and blamed an unnamed local media outlet. Both the government and the operator said there were no cases on board.

Carnival Magic - denied docking in Grand Turk over an illness on board the ship

Carnival Panoramadebarkation process suspended Saturday (3/7) due to a medical matter on board the cruise ship. Test results came back negative for COVID-19.

Royal Princess - Passengers who were set to sail for a 7-day journey to Mexico from the Port of Los Angeles on Saturday were forced to make other plans after the cruise was canceled over coronavirus concerns.

Regal Princess -   refused permission to dock in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday (3/8) morning pending results of tests on two crew members who transferred recently from the Grand Princess.

 

LATEST UPDATE:  ALL CRUISE SHIPS AND CRUISE LINES

 

These ships have been directly or indirectly affected by the coronavirus. Most instances were false alarms but have caused significant delays and disruptions for passengers and crew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ADDED TO THE LIST:

MSC Opera -  turned away from Malta after doctors threatened industrial action if it docked amid coronavirus concerns. The MSC Opera's operator said it agreed not enter the country's port on Friday to "avoid unnecessary public unrest". The government said the decision followed "public alarm raised by misleading information" and blamed an unnamed local media outlet. Both the government and the operator said there were no cases on board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carnival Panorama - Debarkation yesterday was delayed until late Saturday night.  My sister-in-law was on this cruise.  A passenger was reported to be ill but no signs of the virus symptoms.  The authorities stopped debarkation (which has started at 6:30 AM) until test results were returned which didn't happen until 10:00 PM.  My wife talked to her sister a few times and passengers were initially not allowed to return to their rooms, so they had to stay at their debarkation locations.  Finally during the afternoon, they were allowed to go back to their rooms until clearance was given.  The next cruise has been shortened to 6 days.

The panic and over reaction is insane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Carnival Panorama - Debarkation yesterday was delayed until late Saturday night.  My sister-in-law was on this cruise.  A passenger was reported to be ill but no signs of the virus symptoms.  The authorities stopped debarkation (which has started at 6:30 AM) until test results were returned which didn't happen until 10:00 PM.  My wife talked to her sister a few times and passengers were initially not allowed to return to their rooms, so they had to stay at their debarkation locations.  Finally during the afternoon, they were allowed to go back to their rooms until clearance was given.  The next cruise has been shortened to 6 days.

The panic and over reaction is insane.

Also the test for the Virus came back NEGATIVE that's important to note. Sounds like the person just had a basic cold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AGSLC5 said:

Also the test for the Virus came back NEGATIVE that's important to note. 

Of course, they would not have been allowed off the ship if it was positive.  But it's also important to note that the passenger did not show symptoms of Corona (fever, cough, shortness of breath) and yet they went through this charade anyways.  My sister-in-law was understandably angry as were other passengers who had to rebook flights because of overreaction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Of course, they would not have been allowed off the ship if it was positive.  But it's also important to note that the passenger did not show symptoms of Corona (fever, cough, shortness of breath) and yet they went through this charade anyways.  My sister-in-law was understandably angry as were other passengers who had to rebook flights because of overreaction.

OH I agree with you that's annoying and frustrating.. This whole thing is totally blown out of proportion and the media is making everyone panic.. Im sorry they had to deal with all those problems.. I just wanted to highlight some good news that the person actually did not have the Virus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ADDED TO THE LIST:

Carnival Panoramadebarkation process suspended Saturday (3/7) due to a medical matter on board the cruise ship. Test results came back negative for COVID-19.

Royal Princess - Passengers who were set to sail for a 7-day journey to Mexico from the Port of Los Angeles on Saturday were forced to make other plans after the cruise was canceled over coronavirus concerns.

Regal Princess -   refused permission to dock in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday (3/8) morning pending results of tests on two crew members who transferred recently from the Grand Princess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

ADDED TO THE LIST:

Carnival Panoramadebarkation process suspended Saturday (3/7) due to a medical matter on board the cruise ship. Test results came back negative for COVID-19.

Royal Princess - Passengers who were set to sail for a 7-day journey to Mexico from the Port of Los Angeles on Saturday were forced to make other plans after the cruise was canceled over coronavirus concerns.

Regal Princess -   refused permission to dock in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday (3/8) morning pending results of tests on two crew members who transferred recently from the Grand Princess.

The Regal Princess test also came back Negative and the Boat has been allowed back into Ft. Lauderdale.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More bad news ?

Golden Princess: three passengers quarantined, one showing symptoms (test results forthcoming), other two “isolated have been in contact with a confirmed case in the past 14 days."


Silver Explorer (Silverseas): 85-year-old British man showed symptoms after debark in Chile and tested positive, taken to hospital

Azmara Pursuit (mentioned in same article): banned from disembarking passengers at port of Chacabuco in Chile, on grounds that it was carrying suspected cases of the coronavirus. 
 

Celebrity Summit

The Celebrity Summit, a Royal Caribbean cruise ship that was supposed to dock today in San Juan, Puerto Rico, has been diverted to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, the cruise line says.

The ship was diverted because Puerto Rico said passengers would not be allowed to disembark until March 21 because a Canadian passenger who was on the ship last week tested positive for coronavirus. Puerto Rico would have allowed the ship to resupply with food and fuel.

The Celebrity Summit is supposed to arrive in Port Everglades on Monday morning, per Royal Caribbean.

Port Everglades had a cluster of several subcontractors who tested positive for the coronavirus.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ruby Princess was just in New Zealand and has returned to Sydney now has 4 confirmed cases. 2700 passengers who disembarked where unaware and have gone off into the community.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/minister-says-four-people-aboard-a-cruise-ship-that-berthed-in-sydney-test-positive-20200320-p54c9n.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Ruby Princess was just in New Zealand and has returned to Sydney now has 4 confirmed cases. 2700 passengers who disembarked where unaware and have gone off into the community.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/minister-says-four-people-aboard-a-cruise-ship-that-berthed-in-sydney-test-positive-20200320-p54c9n.html

 

I still think it's unfair how the cruise industry is called out on this while it happens every day in life. 

Someone with the virus rode a train last week.  Hundred exposed to that person in close quarters.  Someone with the virus went to the grocery store.  Hundred exposed to that person in close quarters.  Someone went to church two weeks ago with the virus.  Hundred exposed to that person in close quarters.  Those hundreds that have been exposed are now in the community spreading it.  Yet when the same thing happens on a ship it makes the front page.

In Colorado there are 277 cases with 2 deaths.  No cruise ships here.  We have lots of people flying in to go skiing, bringing the virus with them, in an airplane in close quarters with hundreds of others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I still think it's unfair how the cruise industry is called out on this while it happens every day in life. 

Someone with the virus rode a train last week.  Hundred exposed to that person in close quarters.  Someone with the virus went to the grocery store.  Hundred exposed to that person in close quarters.  Someone went to church two weeks ago with the virus.  Hundred exposed to that person in close quarters.  Those hundreds that have been exposed are now in the community spreading it.  Yet when the same thing happens on a ship it makes the front page.

In Colorado there are 277 cases with 2 deaths.  No cruise ships here.  We have lots of people flying in to go skiing, bringing the virus with them, in an airplane in close quarters with hundreds of others.

I agree 100% with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...