JR. Suite or Not?

Ampurp85

Since you all have so much knowledge I would like to pick your brain. I currently have 3 cruises by RCC scheduled. Its family vacation year, my brother and I do every other year with our grandmother and mother, so we are doing Liberty over Halloween. I have the most vacation time because I get a full month and do compressed workweeks. So I decided to do a 4 day on Enchantment, Oct 16th-20th since I have to fly to Galveston any way. I booked a Jr. suite on Mariner Jan 25th 2021 because I thought I was not getting time off for my birthday this year. The Jr. suite was $1800, my brother thinks I should downgrade to an OV or interior and use that money to book another cruise for May 2020.  I haven't paid this cruise off because its almost a year away,  is there a fee to move down? Has anyone done this? I feel like 2 cruises would be better than one and there would be less time between the cruises.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Since you all have so much knowledge I would like to pick your brain. I currently have 3 cruises by RCC scheduled. Its family vacation year, my brother and I do every other year with our grandmother and mother, so we are doing Liberty over Halloween. I have the most vacation time because I get a full month and do compressed workweeks. So I decided to do a 4 day on Enchantment, Oct 16th-20th since I have to fly to Galveston any way. I booked a Jr. suite on Mariner Jan 25th 2021 because I thought I was not getting time off for my birthday this year. The Jr. suite was $1800, my brother thinks I should downgrade to an OV or interior and use that money to book another cruise for May 2020.  I haven't paid this cruise off because its almost a year away,  is there a fee to move down? Has anyone done this? I feel like 2 cruises would be better than one and there would be less time between the cruises.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

If  you booked with a non refundable deposit.then there is a fee to change. If you booked refundable then you can change without penalty.

If I am reading the post correctly, you are asking about downgrading your JS to a lower category cabin.  Since a JS is not really treated the same way as a full suite, you should be able to downgrade it without penalty.  So long as you change neither the ship nor the sail date, you are not subject to the non-refundable penalty.

Whether or not it is a good decision to downgrade your cabin and use that savings to book an additional cruise or not is really a personal choice.  I would do a very careful calculation to determine if the savings from the downgrade of a 4 night Enchantment cruise would really be enough to finance another complete cruise.  Without knowing the details, I would be skeptical. By the time you pay another complete cruise fare, add another round of taxes, port fees and gratuities, I wonder of the savings you would realize on the downgrade would cover it.  Then again, for probably a small amount of additional $$, you might get a whole ‘nother cruise....so...

If you are not changing ship or sail dates, there should not be a fee to downgrade. Refundable or non-refundable, it doesn’t matter. You are not cancelling the reservation. Just changing cabins. At least that is my experience with it.

As far as it is worth it to do so, that is a personal choice. If it were me, and it’s Enchantment that I was sailing, I would keep the JS.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

The decision to go up to a JS (from a balcony) or not really depends on how much more, and how many nights.

You mentioned a 4-nighter, so I'd move up from a balcony to a JS if the price was not more than maybe $100/day.

I think the OP is asking about going down from a JS to an inside....but the rationale is the same...

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I have an OV room on the Enchantment and that is already booked.

The Jr.Suite is booked for the Mariner. I was going to book another cruise for May of this year with the downgrade savings. I thought since the Jr. Suite on Mariner doesn't get much perks beside extra space, it would be a waste for a solo traveler and I could save that experience for maybe an oasis class ship.

If I downgrade I could finance a whole other 4/5 night cruise including flights and hotel.

48 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I have an OV room on the Enchantment and that is already booked.

The Jr.Suite is booked for the Mariner. I was going to book another cruise for May of this year with the downgrade savings. I thought since the Jr. Suite on Mariner doesn't get much perks beside extra space, it would be a waste for a solo traveler and I could save that experience for maybe an oasis class ship.

If I downgrade I could finance a whole other 4/5 night cruise including flights and hotel.

I would do the downgrade if you could finance a whole other 4/5 night cruise including flights and hotel.