zuzuflub

Oasis Class Ship to Australia?

10 hours ago, mattymay said:

They need to being new class of ship sooner or later, because let's face it, once you've done a South Pacific and New Zealand cruise you're pretty much done in this part of the world. It then becomes more about the ship and new/different experiences it can offer.

Have you done a Tasmania or a Queensland cruise? 

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal has had Spectrum in the booking system long enough to know if the region can support two Q ships in Asia at the same time.  It's possible with Spectrum now in China that they are looking to adjust capacity and have Quantum spend some of it's time elsewhere.   

Royal has been very successful in China but I'm not sure if that success would support Spectrum and OA5 at the same time.  That's a pretty significant bump in capacity, demand would have to be very strong, like Spectrum is consistently sold out months in advance kind of demand.

If OA5 goes to Galveston that could free up a Freedom class ship to find a new home somewhere.  Freedom class would fit into Australia now and be something new.  

That’s very true, a Freedom Class ship would be a good fit and something new for the Australia market. 

Another factor is that it isn't easy getting Oasis class into the Pacific.  Like Spectrum it would be a Suez canal transit, even if coming from Florida.  While Quantum class can fit in the new Panama canal locks, Oasis class cannot.  

The reason this is a factor is because the transit time to move an Oasis ship to Australia is measured in weeks.  Oasis makes over a $1M per day in revenue when it's in Florida.  It would be hard to fill an Oasis class ship for the full transit to Australia. 

They'd lose tens of millions moving one to Australia partially full.

2 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

Have you done a Tasmania or a Queensland cruise? 

I have done nearly every cruise out most all Australian ports on 18 different ships. I do not like long hall flights to a cruise (Singapore from east coast max''s it out for me) and YES the SHIP is the destination of choice for me. Newest to arrive in OZ I will sail on.

There is another interesting point to note... 

No ship ever stays in Australia past mid April.. this 'unnamed vessel' is staying longer. The image below is the end of the published schedule so it could well be staying past June 2022.

yHGwlhJ.png

Staying into the winter means a 'cold weather' ship would be ideal, especially in Sydney... i.e. Quantum.

So.. Oasis #5 will go to Asia or push another ship to Asia, leaving Quantum with no home, therefore RCI will need to park her in Sydney. They will also use it to service this supposed Perfect Day off the coast of Australia year round. How's that for a plan?

47 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just how cold is the region in the winter?  

Don't some other lines leave ships there all year?

P&O Cruises Australia is the really only line based there year-round which currently has 3 ships (will be 4 in 2020). Winter in Australia & NZ depends on where you are really, it's still tropical north of Brisbane in Winter and in the South Pacific.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

It would be hard to fill an Oasis class ship for the full transit to Australia. 

You would be surprised. I was looking at the Celebrity (au) website and they have a transpacific cruise in April 2021 that is just about sold out. (suites only left).  Admittedly it _only_ holds 2900+ pax.

Side note though.... if they were going to have a ship out here year round, wouldnt it spend the winter months out of the new (yet to be completed) Brisbane terminal?  It can supposedly support mega ships (ie: Oasis class).   The only thing is.... where would it go if they dont do tenders?

https://www.portbris.com.au/cruise/

1 hour ago, Phillo said:

You would be surprised. I was looking at the Celebrity (au) website and they have a transpacific cruise in April 2021 that is just about sold out. (suites only left).  Admittedly it _only_ holds 2900+ pax.

Side note though.... if they were going to have a ship out here year round, wouldnt it spend the winter months out of the new (yet to be completed) Brisbane terminal?  It can supposedly support mega ships (ie: Oasis class).   The only thing is.... where would it go if they dont do tenders?

https://www.portbris.com.au/cruise/

Transpacific is interesting, especially with the South Pacific in the itinerary.  This route?  Not so much.  

The 12 night Allure transatlantic in March cost me $1,200 in an ocean facing balcony.  $100 per night solo.  I could have been under $1k USD for an interior.  These cruises are hard to fill.

From Barcelona to Sydney is 10,097 nm.  Brisbane just a little further.

1662099418_BCNtoSYD.jpeg.7e5a310598fd3a14dae88ffeaea39837.jpeg

Going straight through with no stops would be ~35 days to reach Australia from Barcelona.  That would be a hard sell.  Very few people can sail that long.  

They'd likely break that up into 2 or 3 cruises with a few more stops because who wants 35 sea days?  That would extend the total journey to 45+ days.

The same ship in Florida would generate nearly $50M in revenue in 45 days.  Half full on this awkward route let's be generous and say it generates $750k per day.  They'd walk away from $17M to get the ship to Australia.  Come winter they'd lose another $17M to get it back into the Atlantic.   A more pessimistic projection would be ~$450k per day.  Round trip loss would be ~$60M compared to placing the ship in Florida.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Just how cold is the region in the winter?  

Don't some other lines leave ships there all year?

Still topical in the North,  the further above Brisbane you get the warmer the temperature.. very similar climate to Florida. Sydney is a lot colder.. average day time temp 17 C / 63 F

oz-only-climate-e1468207697774.png

I meant to say no RCI ship stays here past April. Historically.. P & O Australia are the only ones. But as the name suggests they are an Australian based arm of the cruise line and their ships stay here. Starting next year Carnival are bringing Splendour and leaving it here all year round. 

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Transpacific is interesting, especially with the South Pacific in the itinerary.  This route?  Not so much.  

I agree with you there.

They actually did (almost) the reverse of that earlier this year.  I would have done it if I didnt have to actually work for a living! 😉

and yes... you are right. 45days over 3 itineraries.   SYD>SING>DUBAI>BARCA

On 9/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Shanenz84 said:

Also, am I correct that Oasis Class do not tender? So this would also have to be taken into consideration.

For cruises to the South Pacific there would be very few ports that could handle it - if any currently.

For New Zealand I imagine Napier, Tauranga, Wellington & Lyttleton (once new pier is complete) should be able to accommodate but at this stage Ovation has to tender in the Harbour when visiting Auckland, which would therefore not even be possible with an Oasis Class ship. 

I’d say more likely an Oasis Class ship would get to Asia before Australia. 

Dunedin (or Port Charmers) could also currently handle an Oasis ship. Ironically like Australia and Sydney New Zealand's largest city's port couldn't currently berth an Oasis ship (Heck, even Ovation has to tender in Auckland).

I think this is one of a number of reasons Royal is considering a private island in that area, as well as somewhere in Asia...if the rumors are true....given some governments are slow or inactive in working to expand current ports, with cruise lines & commercial shipping for that matter. 

I think it will eventually happen; but, it may be a decade or more before it actually does...unless ongoing discussions are currently in the work, as we speak.

The private island concept in this area is interesting.  I wonder which country will provide the land?  It certainly wouldnt be Australia.  The cost of doing business on Australian territories would make it prohibitive.

The Bahama's works well for florida because you can do 3 and 4 day itineraries easily.  Where here... you would need to do them all from Brisbane to come close to that timeframe.

Additionally, I wonder if it came to be, would it be a purely Royal Caribbean product or would it be shared with Celebrity to get the economies of scale for the destination.