Deluxe beverage package

My first cruise on Royal Caribbean is not until April. I have been watching the price on the deluxe beverage package. Every time I checked, it has been showing around $52 a day. This morning I logged in and it came up as buy one, get one 50% off. So I said wow, that’s a great deal I’ll book it now. Then when I went to book, the total price still came out to over $800, for 2  people, for the eight day cruise. What did they do, jack up the price, that offer it as a discount? Here I thought it would be around $600 and it still coming out to the same price that I have seen, before the supposed buy one get one 50% off sale.......?..

The lowest I've ever seen the Deluxe package go is for around $42 per person per day - I've heard it going for slightly lower, but that's pretty rare.  If you find it for anywhere between $42-$46, go ahead and book it.  If it ever does go lower, you can always cancel it and rebook it at the new price.

How many drinks per person would experienced cruisers say is the break even for purchasing a drink package at the current price of 52/person/day? My sister and I are cruising in 2019 and neither of us are really big drinkers so the about 750 total for two people for a week cruise seems really expenseive to me. 

We we would probably have Starbucks in the am, soda at lunch, 1-2 cocktails in the afternoon, wine or cocktail with dinner and 1 drink with evening entertainment. 

So I am curious what others feel is the break even amount of drinks that makes the purchase of the package cost effective?

thanks for your help ?

Just got back from our 5 day cruise.  Deluxe package was $47 per day, drinks averaged $10-11 per.  We had 1-2 drinks in the afternoon, couple of glasses of wine with dinner, another drink at night, couple bottles of water, a glass of ginger ale.  If we didn’t break even, it was darn close and worth it for the convenience IMO.

2 hours ago, Sh2738 said:

We we would probably have Starbucks in the am, soda at lunch, 1-2 cocktails in the afternoon, wine or cocktail with dinner and 1 drink with evening entertainment. 

Would be tempted to say that would be a break even.

Starbucks Style drink (note the drink package won't cover beverages from a standalone Starbucks on Oasis class and Mariner) ~$4

Soda: ~$3

Cocktails: ~$10

Wine: ~$12

My math: 4 + 3 + 20 + 12 + 10 = $49

Note: When I do the "drink package worth it" math I don't factor in the 18% gratuity. 

9 hours ago, mattymay said:

The problem is the port days.. I found it hard to break even on these days being off the ship all day so found myself trying to make up for it on sea days! I'm going to try without on my next cruise on Symphony.

This. It wasn't so bad on my April cruise on Freedom, even though it was four consecutive port days, because we were always back by mid-afternoon and having a sailaway cocktail and glass of wine before (late seating) dinner wasn't too hard to do. But on my 5-night Bermuda trip, where we were in Bermuda overnight and not back on the ship until nearly 6 PM that first port day, I felt like I had to really "work at it" to hit the break-even point. By the night of our last sea day I was really feeling the drink fatigue after having more beverages than I really should have, just in an effort to "catch up" and not feel like I was wasting money I'd already spent.

The question to ask yourself if you think you'll hit that point is, "Am I buying the package because I really plan to drink a good bit and want to get my money's worth, or am I buying it for the convenience of having it paid ahead of time rather than paying on board?" If it's the latter and you don't mind "losing money" from not drinking enough to break even, there's no harm in buying the package as long as you think you'll at least be somewhat in the ballpark.

10 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Would be tempted to say that would be a break even.

Starbucks Style drink (note the drink package won't cover beverages from a standalone Starbucks on Oasis class and Mariner) ~$4

Soda: ~$3

Cocktails: ~$10

Wine: ~$12

My math: 4 + 3 + 20 + 12 + 10 = $49

Note: When I do the "drink package worth it" math I don't factor in the 18% gratuity. 

Glass of wine for lunch, two glasses at dinner plus bottle of water would made you big winner ?