Jump to content
Neaxan

LIVE - October 28 - November 9 - Barcelona to Miami - Bringing Symphony home

Recommended Posts

It was great to meet you both and I hope the top tier numbers didn't impact your experience too much. 

When I realized how many Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacles would be on board I was concerned the Oasis class experience would be very different for you compared to a normal Oasis class cruise.  Normally for example, the entire center section of the Aqua Theater is NOT reserved for suites and elite like it was on this sailing.  

It's always nice when multiple people blog from the same cruise because you get a different perspective and the opportunity to see it through a different pair of eyes.  Great job and enjoy your next cruise.  I'd to love to hear the differences between Princess and Royal.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 2:08 PM, twangster said:

It was great to meet you both and I hope the top tier numbers didn't impact your experience too much. 

When I realized how many Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacles would be on board I was concerned the Oasis class experience would be very different for you compared to a normal Oasis class cruise.  Normally for example, the entire center section of the Aqua Theater is NOT reserved for suites and elite like it was on this sailing.  

It's always nice when multiple people blog from the same cruise because you get a different perspective and the opportunity to see it through a different pair of eyes.  Great job and enjoy your next cruise.  I'd to love to hear the differences between Princess and Royal.     

Right back at you, it was so cool finally meeting you. Hope we'll meet again on other cruises!

As for the top tier bunch, it did annoy us quite a bit. Were not used to being treated as second class passengers, and sadly you got that feeling on more than one occasion on this cruise. We prefer TUI's approach to this one where loyal cruisers are rewarded without taking anything from the experience of other guests. Examples include bridge tours, free champagne, free speciality choclate, free laundry... TUI does have a designated venue for guests staying in suites and that is fine by us, as it doesn't impact our stay in any way. But taking away a third of the available seats in all entertainment venues and closing numerous venues at times does get on your nerves. We'd still sail with Royal but we made sure Royal got this feedback.

I'm now sitting next to the aft pool on Caribbean Princess and enjoying a nice view of the ocean (something that's hard to come by on Symphony). So it's finally time to do the blog posts that fell victim to too much to do and not enough time - and some post cruise land sickness. I'll also do a summary of what we liked and disliked on our first Royal cruise. As for comparing our Royal and Princess experiences, I'm thinking of doing it once I'm back home 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderland:

Wonderland was our most anticipated restaurant – spoiler alert: rightly so. To fully enjoy Wonderland, you have to appreciate the concept and be a bit of an adventurous eater. We loved the whole atmosphere of the place – it’s a real trip down the rabbit hole with everything including the waiter’s uniforms or the Mad Hatter’s conversations fitting in. We even found a little Alice 🙂

q7bOo7q.jpg

I6kPmrF.jpg

km9jQ0z.jpg

EJPVnMD.jpg

TwgLZRP.jpg

As we were planning to get the most of this experience, we ignored the menu even though painting your own menu was a nice touch. We let our waiter Sorina chose our courses as we only had good experiences with following our waiter’s recommendations.

cyrXGpH.jpg

mt30TRG.jpg

aE9NtlO.jpg

For starters, we got the whole ride: Citrus Seas, Crispy Crab Cones, Mad Hatter‘s Purple Potted Shrimp, Liquid Lobster, The Chicken & the Egg. We loved all of them! When forced to pick a favourite, I’d go with the Citrus Seas even though the Liquid Lobster was the most surprising taste.

E09bXzW.jpg

in0UW6L.jpg

C22esI0.jpg

CkbHfmI.jpg

EsnFrDF.jpg

iuATQnF.jpg

For entrees, Sorina hadn’t forgotten that hubby isn’t that much into fish as a main course. So we got Snap, Crackle & Pork and The Rib ‚I‘ Luscious Short Rib (aka Chocolate Brownie 🤣). Personally, I prefered the latter as the pork is quite greasy. Hubby did enjoy the pork so it might just be my pet hate talking. I can thoroughly recommend the short rib – I liked it even better than 150 CP’s main course!

0Zqomgu.jpg

I3lquTj.jpg

For dessert, we were in for a surprise! As I’d hoped, we got The World – it’s not only a visual treat, it’s also absolutely delicious. Our second dessert was the Forbidden Apple, also very good but just not as perfect as The World. On the other hand, the Forbidden Apple was decorated for an anniversary that we still don’t know about 🤣 Guess it was a mix up in the kitchen as neither me nor hubby had informed Royal about an anniversary. Instead of worrying, we just went with the flow and got nine times Happy Anniversary from Sorina and the Mad Hatter. We’ve been married 9 years now, it’s only we married in August, not in November. Who would voluntarily marry in the German winter season?

2lvtcs.gif?fbclid=IwAR2ZIspTsToxCNWbERni

SoiW5oR.jpg

Back to the topic: we loved the whole Wonderland experience, it is easily our favourite restaurant onboard! In fact, we enjoyed this kind of imaginative and adventurous cuisine so much, that we’ll take the leap and try some fusion cuisine at home. If you only want to try one speciality dining venue – I’d chose this one as it offers the most different experience. We’ll definetly be back on another ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love your review of Wonderland, @Neaxan! The menu is a little different from the one on Anthem, so I'm wondering if changes are coming to the fleet (maybe in response to more guests than your husband not being big fish fans!). The decor there also looks far nicer and varied than what we saw on Anthem (e.g., bigger variety of chair styles and designs), not to mention that it looks much more brightly lit.

Can I ask if the room was actually dark and you just used the flash or a longer exposure to get your pictures looking that well-lit, or was the restaurant lighting truly not all that dim? We felt like we were eating in a cave at times, it was so dim in there, and we had noticed they actually raised the lights a little as our meal was coming to an end.

@twangster or maybe @monorailmedic, either one of you happen to know if Anthem was one of the first ships to have a Wonderland? Just wondering if the difference in decor is due to age, and maybe when Anthem goes in for a dry dock they'll do a small cosmetic upgrade to get it looking more in line with the other restaurants in the fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderland menu's can vary ship to ship much like Jamie's Italian varies in subtle ways.

On Harmony and Symphony Wonderland is a two story space with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the boardwalk.  It's a much nicer, larger and secluded venue. 

On Anthem it's off the Esplanade with just a sheer curtain separating it.  My Anthem experience was constantly interrupted by sales pitches in the Esplanade.  It's much larger on Oasis class with a distinct and dedicated Wonderland Bar on the second floor with the hostess and waiting area.   

Anthem is more of a Wonderland-mini.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, twangster said:

On Anthem it's off the Esplanade with just a sheer curtain separating it.  My Anthem experience was constantly interrupted by sales pitches in the Esplanade.

I have to say that this wasn't an issue I ran into, thankfully. No real sound bleed to speak of, at least that I noticed. Maybe where we got seated there was more than just the curtain to help us feel more secluded.

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Anthem is more of a Wonderland-mini.  

Won't argue that, the pictures make that clear as day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JLMoran said:

Can I ask if the room was actually dark and you just used the flash or a longer exposure to get your pictures looking that well-lit, or was the restaurant lighting truly not all that dim? We felt like we were eating in a cave at times, it was so dim in there, and we had noticed they actually raised the lights a little as our meal was coming to an end.

Wonderland is darker than the MDR, but all speciality restaurants are - at least on Symphony. We could still take pictures without using the flash (I hate it because it makes for unnatural colours), you just need a longer exposure or higher ISO. Due to the light decor and furniture, Wonderland feels well-lit, no comparison to Izumi where everything is dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 10:

This day was off to an early start, therefore we had breakfast in our beloved Park Cafe. Why the early start, you might ask – the All Access Ship tour, of course! At 119 $ each, we had a YOLO moment when booking this. Hey, when will I be ever able to get a behind the scenes tour on the biggest cruise ship in the world? Our tour guide for the morning was Charly from Shore Excursions, who gave us some insight into crew life on Symphony. First stop of the tour was the engine control room where we were lucky to meet the chief engineer. I don’t want to bore you with a multitude of numbers so here’s the highlights: of 6 generators for the engines, Symphony uses 4 on a transatlantic sailing compared to only 3 when on normal Caribbean itineraries. Symphony has enough fuel to immediately return from Miami to Barcelona without refueling – but we’d lack food and drinks 😭

axPKsoy.jpg

roryrWxg.jpg

Our next stop was the MDR galley on deck 5, where we got all information from one of the sous chefs. The MDR has 3 galleys (one on each MDR deck) – deck 5 is mainly responsible for soups, sauces, salads, cold plates and breakfast room service. The sheer amount of food that has to be prepared here is really impressive. Royal uses a computer system to predict the amount of dishes they’ll need for each seating – interesting to see this in use.

kg1vb4E.jpg

GAyfsu3.jpg

rpq6KB5.jpg

Down from deck 5 it was back into the bowels of the ship, taking the I-95 to provisions. On I-95, we saw the crew activities board. I’m really quite angry about the amount of money the crew have to pay for internet – in my opinion, it should be free of charge for them as it’s the only way to stay in contact with their family at home. And Royal should be aware that a happy crew makes for happy cruisers!  But on to a more lighthearted topic – provisions: Symphony’s provisions master took care of all our questions. As we still got a few days left, the walk in refrigerators were well stocked - nobody can starve on a cruise ship. For the European season, Symphony had to restock in Barcelona and Civitavecchia on each sailing – not because of the longer advance booking periods but because all goods arrive on (wooden) EU pallets and have to be reloaded on the steel pallets that Royal uses! That’s why Symphony only needs restocking once a week (in Miami) for Caribbean cruises – it just takes less time. Our time with the provisions master also answered another question: how does Symphony dock in Miami? Always on the starboard side, as they can use 2 doors for loading instead of only one when docking portside. Unfortunately, this means that Symphony will always turn in the basin when entering the port – so in the middle of the night most likely.

LHrfoSW.jpg

aOcjAbr.jpg

DR9rHIK.jpg

From provisions, we ventured even further down the ship. The laundry is as far down as you can get on Symphony (assuming you don’t want to take a swim in the fuel tanks). The laundry master explained his department to us and also showed us the use of some of the machines. You can even stumble upon Captain Rob in the laundry 😁 Most interesting information: crew’s uniforms are cleaned free of charge, but they have to wash their private clothes themselves.

GO399a0.jpg

2dGa4jE.jpg

Our last stop on this tour was the bridge, where we met one of the First Officers – and Captain Rob again. It's amazing how approachable and chatty the Captain is – what a nice experience. Best thing about the bridge is the unobstructed forward view, but all the instruments on the bridge wing were also quite interesting. We were even lucky to have not one but two ships in our safety corridor when on the bridge – in the middle of nowhere in the Atlantic! The route is completely at the Captain’s discretion so we took a southern route on this crossing for better weather. Even though the southern route is longer than the northern route, it’s more fuel efficient due to winds and drift.

BXqM8vy.jpg

SSkp0xD.jpg

8VH1uDa.jpg#

pb2g1VY.jpg

8iERyKV.jpg

After this illuminating tour, we went to the MDR for an early lunch. We were seated with Americans, Brits and a couple from Taiwan. This mix made for some very interesting political discussions. (Hey, I thought you don’t small talk about politics and religion?!) Fortunately, we don’t mind political discussions as we like to hear opinions from all sides. In fact, we’ve redpilled quite a few fellow cruisers on the topic of Germany on this crossing 😈 As for the food, can’t remember the exact names (and forgot to look them up before disembarkation 😥). Hubby had the Greek Salad, Chicken Sandwich and Chocolate Cake, I had the Tortilla Salad, Steak Sandwich and Apple Pie.

O8lk6Yj.jpg

eXWXtJO.jpg

TgPlOPW.jpg

Y4rDjmf.jpg

FeIJ0CU.jpg

PjnZTRC.jpg

The next event of the day was the Guest Talent Show. The choir's This is Me was the first act, the song was enhanced by a choreography from the progressive dance class. Other than that, it was mostly musical acts. We were quite surprised about the confidence of some of the participants but a few acts were REALLY impressive. The best act was a guy singing New York by Frank Sinatra – in fact this guy was on par with headliner Gary Williams. No surprise he won progressive karaoke.

HbfdaQF.jpg

As we’d had an early lunch and were planning a late dinner, we had a 2nd lunch at Playmakers – again Base Loaded Potato Skins but this time accompanied by Pulled Pork Sliders. From there it was on to Laser Tag. Sadly a session only is 10 minutes, but considering the long lines it’s understandable. Due to the de-icing of Studio B there were only 4 sessions on this 12 night cruise - the first two on one of the first sea days, session 3 on day 10 during formal night dinner and session 4 during sailaway from Port Canaveral. We had other plans for the first two sessions and didn't want to miss sailaway so we chose the lesser evil. Our team didn’t win but at least we were the team’s top players.

Day 10 was the 2nd and last formal night, so we went to the cabin to change into more formal wear (so not playing laser tag in dress and heels!) and then get some pictures taken on Royal Promenade. Dinner in the MDR consisted of the Mediterranean Tapas Plate for starters, Seafood Linguini and Broiled Lobster Tail for entrees and Chocolate Profiteroles and the Artisan Cheese Plate for dessert. Feel free to guess who ordered what 🤣 Verdict on the food: to us it feels as though MDR food is better on Formal Nights – so a good reason to dress up. When leaving the MDR we were advised to come back the next day for dessert (we have a reservation in Izumi and the dessert isn’t really our cup of tea). After a few drinks at the pub we went to bed.

NoQJ6kH.jpg

3zh95D3.jpg

nrG4nRe.jpg

9P4JgoS.jpg

zcdCa1t.jpg

Side notes:

10.3 k steps – most of them on the tour 🤣

If anyone wondered, yes, drink fatigue is a thing. Well, for me – not for hubby. Food fatigue is also getting real, guess we’ll have a breather in Miami.

Can't really call this a towel animal, can I? 🤪

ooJaNMz.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neaxan said:

In fact, we’ve redpilled quite a few fellow cruisers on the topic of Germany on this crossing 😈

LOL! I think that's the first time I've seen "redpilled" used in any context outside The Matrix or a certain men's activism group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

LOL! I think that's the first time I've seen "redpilled" used in any context outside The Matrix or a certain men's activism group.

They have a cocktail called Down the Rabbithole at the Wonderland bar and it comes with your choice of a red or a blue pill so I thought it would fit right in 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 11

FINALLY! This is the first day with nothing planned in the morning – well, tbh we’re skipping the final choir meeting. Instead, we’re having a pool morning. Breakfast was in the MDR as we had the time to do it. Then it was up the stairs and on the waterslides. Unfortunately I only did one waterslide – the blue one. That was enough to wreck my swimsuit & waterproof bag for my asthma inhaler. Lesson learned: don’t take the bag with you on a waterslide – in other words, don’t go on the waterslide as I wouldn’t risk going anywhere without the inhaler. At least I can report that hubby did enjoy the waterslides immensely. I took the opportunity to swim laps in the pool while he was having fun on the slides. Unfortunately, the sports pool’s correct name should be „stand in the damn way pool“ so after half an hour I had enough. As we’d climbed the stairs already, we had lunch at El Loco Fresh. We really like the nachos and build your own tacos.

At 3pm it was finally time for the postponed Hairspray matinee. Wow, what a brilliant performance! The cast is amazing and I’d haver never thought they could do all that on a moving ship. We really liked Hairspray, even  though it’ll never be our favourite musical – these are still Phantom of the Opera and Dance of the Vampires.

mcsjnF6.jpg

qTVHyMz.jpg

4u81sQp.jpg

MMV8560.jpg

ihYL6AN.jpg

IsYp9KY.jpg

l2x9ONM.jpg

S5S0A7f.jpg

CNxalc4.jpg

cHrBrgz.jpg

rDcWJUj.jpg

twfs3M4.jpg

FS8koOr.jpg

3fVWqvl.jpg

Time until dinner was spent at Playmakers again. I can report that on day 11 we finally managed to empty Symphony’s stock of Guinness. Guess the provisions master miscalculated a bit. While we were at the Boardwalk anyway, we finally managed to go on the carousel – must’ve been the first time for at least 20 years. We also managed to spend our arcade credit on Mario Kart – I won every time 😇

Tonight’s dinner was in Izumi – sushi night! If you’re on the drink package, try the Sake cocktails, they’re really yummy. For starters, we had the shrimp firecracker spring roll (sorry, forgot to take a picture). As main course we had five different rolls: Champagne Lobster in Yuzu Wrap, Crispy Philly, Izumi Spider Roll, Surf & Turf and Izumi Ryu Futomaki. The latter roll was the best sushi roll we ever had, the others were also very good, even though not really Japanese sushi. Apparently American sushi is more bells & whistles 😂

cEjyNew.jpg

As planned, we went from Izumi to the MDR for dessert. This was a good opportunity to say goodbye to Baptiste and Juan – and to realize what we’d missed on our other visits. We had Tiramisu, No Sugar Added Coconut Rice Pudding, Royal Cheesecake and Royal Chocolate Cake – the latter was soooo good!

CMPPcxh.jpg

R8PXhGW.jpg

CJgp6Ze.jpg

h9UQlMw.jpg

After dessert we hurried to the Royal Theatre for the last headliner show, Adam Kario, a juggler and comedian. We were a bit late so we wouldn’t have gotten the best seats anyway, but as we were thinking of skipping the show (the other headliner shows weren’t really to our liking), we chose seats at the end of the row to sneak away if necessary. Much to our surprise, this headliner was by far the best, really funny and we definetely regretted our choice of seats.

lyiP6wE.jpg

slBRzU8.jpg

f6J6EIe.jpg

hxyw9dm.jpg

From the theatre we hurried to Studio B for The Quest – our first I might add. I came close to being forced to be the female captain of our team – luckily someone else volunteered eventually. I can report that Bobby did a brilliant job with The Quest, we had so much fun and were howling with laughter. I won’t get into details here as you know – what happens at The Quest, stays at The Quest 🤣

r0acZb2.jpgliqpKxu.jpg

e5R9AJ9.jpg

After The Quest it was back into the Theatre for the last adult comedy show – we sneaked out halfway through as it was mostly the same material as the last time. Instead of bar hopping, we went to the cabin to start packing.

Side notes

11 k steps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 12:

The last full day of this cruise and only our second port of call – Cape Canaveral. As we booked the Kennedy Space Center Guided Tour, we had an early breakfast at Park Cafe. Meeting for the excursion was in the Royal Theater at 8 am. As we’d arrived early, we were already in line to get off the ship at 7.50 am. Unfortunately, this didn’t help much. Immigration in Port Canaveral was mayhem for non-US citizens. We stood in line for 2.5 hours, shortening our 8h tour to 5.5 hours. This was our first major gripe with Royal. While they can’t speed up the immigration process, their organisation was truly disappointing. They sold way too many full day tours resulting in thousands of people trying to get through immigration at the same time. And instead of reserving the first hours for full day tours, they also let half day tours and passengers without any tours off the ship at the same time. Never seen such a bad organisation and we’ve already done immigration in Russia.

 

On the bright side: our tour guide Doug did everything he could to show us as many things possible within the shortened time frame. I’m sure we’d have enjoyed KSC more hadn’t we been so tired from standing in line for hours – maybe we’ll just try another time. At least we saw some alligators on the way back to the ship ☺️

DDpmtz2.jpg

nkbaJwq.jpg

mlIjig4.jpgimlnisB.jpg

YUoZfuN.jpg

Ixz3UYx.jpg

1KIprqa.jpg

9pQDa5g.jpg

JT14XV7.jpg

wJzKITA.jpg

21QLj70.jpg

ajlXGTA.jpg

MnRI1tM.jpg

Wu1YrEZ.jpg

We were finally back onboard at 4.22 pm (all aboard 4.30 pm), so our first stop was the pool bar for some much needed alcoholic drinks. We managed to get first row seats in the Solarium for sail away. Symphony’s arrival in the US generated quite some interest, we had 2 helicopters documenting sailaway and hundreds of people watching. Guess Carnival Liberty never had a bigger audience 😈

 

3UKjKIC.jpgQN7YqxT.jpg

eLsuxRC.jpg

uennyQl.jpg

fiAFf8R.jpg

Nf2X4o8.jpg

CedDR3E.jpg

O9YIVz2.jpg

Before dinner we finished packing, then we went to Solarium Bistro. I have to agree with Twangster here, it’s a pity we only did this on the last day. Well, as we were able to share, we had a significant advantage: we managed to try everything we wanted! We tried Greek Salad, Ceviche, Tomato & Bocconcini, Tzatziki & Pita Bread, Seafood Soup, Stuffed Zucchini, Greek-style Roasted Potatoes, All-natural Grass-fed Skirt Steak with Horseradish, Chicken Kebab, Lemon Pepper Roasted Chicken, Kofta, Moussaka, Grilled Salmon, Fresh Mussels, Grilled Shrimp, Chocolate Nocciola, Loukoumades, Torta de Mele, Tarte Tropezienne, Panna Cotta à la Romana, Galaktoboureko. I wouldn’t recommend the Chicken Kebab but everything else was really good.

noNtzkc.jpg

whjZkzA.jpg

NgmkIpI.jpg

Feeling completely full we changed clothes and headed to the pool for some laps and just relaxing in the hot tubs. We fled when it started raining – yes I know we were already wet, but our cover up clothes weren’t 🤣 The evening ended with some final drinks at – you guessed it – Playmakers.

fpW37ti.jpg

N7TuOw4.jpg

JdVO1vh.jpg

Side notes:

15k steps

Nearly forgot to pick up our pictures – fortunately it suddenly dawned on hubby before they closed the foto shop.

We’re missing Symphony soooooo much 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 13 - Disembarkation 😭

YfcB1Eq.jpg

8MrutT5.jpg

8M8cPwQ.jpg

Time to say goodbye - unfortunately. After our last breakfast at Park Cafe we waited in the Theater until our number was called. At least disembarkation was a breeze - no immigration, no costums, we just walked off. Wish I could say the same about getting to the car rental station. While the new terminal looks beautiful, they apparently didn't think traffic through. Bus and shuttle have serious problems turning and have to reverse out of the berths - this takes time and only worsens the chaos. Additionally, there are no lines for the bus - it's survival of the fittest. Took us 1.5 hours to get on a bus, but getting our car took 5 minutes once we arrived at the rental station. The day was spent shopping at the Disney store and Walmart. When it was time for checkin, we went to our Hotel - Sense Beach House in South Beach. It's a nice little hotel on a quiet block of Ocean Drive.

obQ0Jpm.jpg

UhaHvO8.jpg

As promised, we went to South Pointe Park for Symphony's sailaway. We also got to watch Mariner's sailaway and the fireworks for Symphony. Sad to see her go, but we'll be back with Oasis 5 😁

93UGbOe.jpg

14FEx1J.jpg

8y1pbs7.jpg

lXFFbvA.jpg

V3OoBzv.jpg

qo6vEvk.jpg

dqZpnnS.jpg

ANgHnFt.jpg

iiVeFW4.jpg

cdQdVP3.jpg

PUgWUZ7.jpg

QYdX34A.jpg

BvOpWaV.jpg

WSEPBXx.jpg

Ky1KzLt.jpg

QprIsNQ.jpg

8hFCsOO.jpg

2k60tR6.jpg

c2L0ADu.jpg

Z6mV6L0.jpg

A little stroll around South Beach:

XYkAQgq.jpg

PdJVeLk.jpg

wwKEuR3.jpg

64UhLbD.jpg

BxrDaHl.jpg

U2qGvSt.jpg

8zXPIef.jpg

For those who made it that far: thanks for following along, I really enjoyed blogging for you. I'll do our final verdict (and a little comparison to Princess) later, probably when I'm home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, Neaxan said:

Day 10:

This day was off to an early start, therefore we had breakfast in our beloved Park Cafe. Why the early start, you might ask – the All Access Ship tour, of course! At 119 $ each, we had a YOLO moment when booking this. Hey, when will I be ever able to get a behind the scenes tour on the biggest cruise ship in the world? Our tour guide for the morning was Charly from Shore Excursions, who gave us some insight into crew life on Symphony. First stop of the tour was the engine control room where we were lucky to meet the chief engineer. I don’t want to bore you with a multitude of numbers so here’s the highlights: of 6 generators for the engines, Symphony uses 4 on a transatlantic sailing compared to only 3 when on normal Caribbean itineraries. Symphony has enough fuel to immediately return from Miami to Barcelona without refueling – but we’d lack food and drinks 😭

axPKsoy.jpg

roryrWxg.jpg

Our next stop was the MDR galley on deck 5, where we got all information from one of the sous chefs. The MDR has 3 galleys (one on each MDR deck) – deck 5 is mainly responsible for soups, sauces, salads, cold plates and breakfast room service. The sheer amount of food that has to be prepared here is really impressive. Royal uses a computer system to predict the amount of dishes they’ll need for each seating – interesting to see this in use.

kg1vb4E.jpg

GAyfsu3.jpg

rpq6KB5.jpg

Down from deck 5 it was back into the bowels of the ship, taking the I-95 to provisions. On I-95, we saw the crew activities board. I’m really quite angry about the amount of money the crew have to pay for internet – in my opinion, it should be free of charge for them as it’s the only way to stay in contact with their family at home. And Royal should be aware that a happy crew makes for happy cruisers!  But on to a more lighthearted topic – provisions: Symphony’s provisions master took care of all our questions. As we still got a few days left, the walk in refrigerators were well stocked - nobody can starve on a cruise ship. For the European season, Symphony had to restock in Barcelona and Civitavecchia on each sailing – not because of the longer advance booking periods but because all goods arrive on (wooden) EU pallets and have to be reloaded on the steel pallets that Royal uses! That’s why Symphony only needs restocking once a week (in Miami) for Caribbean cruises – it just takes less time. Our time with the provisions master also answered another question: how does Symphony dock in Miami? Always on the starboard side, as they can use 2 doors for loading instead of only one when docking portside. Unfortunately, this means that Symphony will always turn in the basin when entering the port – so in the middle of the night most likely.

LHrfoSW.jpg

aOcjAbr.jpg

DR9rHIK.jpg

From provisions, we ventured even further down the ship. The laundry is as far down as you can get on Symphony (assuming you don’t want to take a swim in the fuel tanks). The laundry master explained his department to us and also showed us the use of some of the machines. You can even stumble upon Captain Rob in the laundry 😁 Most interesting information: crew’s uniforms are cleaned free of charge, but they have to wash their private clothes themselves.

GO399a0.jpg

2dGa4jE.jpg

Our last stop on this tour was the bridge, where we met one of the First Officers – and Captain Rob again. It's amazing how approachable and chatty the Captain is – what a nice experience. Best thing about the bridge is the unobstructed forward view, but all the instruments on the bridge wing were also quite interesting. We were even lucky to have not one but two ships in our safety corridor when on the bridge – in the middle of nowhere in the Atlantic! The route is completely at the Captain’s discretion so we took a southern route on this crossing for better weather. Even though the southern route is longer than the northern route, it’s more fuel efficient due to winds and drift.

BXqM8vy.jpg

SSkp0xD.jpg

8VH1uDa.jpg#

pb2g1VY.jpg

8iERyKV.jpg

After this illuminating tour, we went to the MDR for an early lunch. We were seated with Americans, Brits and a couple from Taiwan. This mix made for some very interesting political discussions. (Hey, I thought you don’t small talk about politics and religion?!) Fortunately, we don’t mind political discussions as we like to hear opinions from all sides. In fact, we’ve redpilled quite a few fellow cruisers on the topic of Germany on this crossing 😈 As for the food, can’t remember the exact names (and forgot to look them up before disembarkation 😥). Hubby had the Greek Salad, Chicken Sandwich and Chocolate Cake, I had the Tortilla Salad, Steak Sandwich and Apple Pie.

O8lk6Yj.jpg

eXWXtJO.jpg

TgPlOPW.jpg

Y4rDjmf.jpg

FeIJ0CU.jpg

PjnZTRC.jpg

The next event of the day was the Guest Talent Show. The choir's This is Me was the first act, the song was enhanced by a choreography from the progressive dance class. Other than that, it was mostly musical acts. We were quite surprised about the confidence of some of the participants but a few acts were REALLY impressive. The best act was a guy singing New York by Frank Sinatra – in fact this guy was on par with headliner Gary Williams. No surprise he won progressive karaoke.

HbfdaQF.jpg

As we’d had an early lunch and were planning a late dinner, we had a 2nd lunch at Playmakers – again Base Loaded Potato Skins but this time accompanied by Pulled Pork Sliders. From there it was on to Laser Tag. Sadly a session only is 10 minutes, but considering the long lines it’s understandable. Due to the de-icing of Studio B there were only 4 sessions on this 12 night cruise - the first two on one of the first sea days, session 3 on day 10 during formal night dinner and session 4 during sailaway from Port Canaveral. We had other plans for the first two sessions and didn't want to miss sailaway so we chose the lesser evil. Our team didn’t win but at least we were the team’s top players.

Day 10 was the 2nd and last formal night, so we went to the cabin to change into more formal wear (so not playing laser tag in dress and heels!) and then get some pictures taken on Royal Promenade. Dinner in the MDR consisted of the Mediterranean Tapas Plate for starters, Seafood Linguini and Broiled Lobster Tail for entrees and Chocolate Profiteroles and the Artisan Cheese Plate for dessert. Feel free to guess who ordered what 🤣 Verdict on the food: to us it feels as though MDR food is better on Formal Nights – so a good reason to dress up. When leaving the MDR we were advised to come back the next day for dessert (we have a reservation in Izumi and the dessert isn’t really our cup of tea). After a few drinks at the pub we went to bed.

NoQJ6kH.jpg

3zh95D3.jpg

nrG4nRe.jpg

9P4JgoS.jpg

zcdCa1t.jpg

Side notes:

10.3 k steps – most of them on the tour 🤣

If anyone wondered, yes, drink fatigue is a thing. Well, for me – not for hubby. Food fatigue is also getting real, guess we’ll have a breather in Miami.

Can't really call this a towel animal, can I? 🤪

ooJaNMz.jpg

I think you might have stumbled onto a great new employee recognition program. Imagine if when you had really great service at dinner or your stateroom cabin went above and beyond, you could “sponsor” a day of internet for that crew member. We often forget that while we’re on vacation, often with our families, many of the crew leave children behind at home for six months or more at a time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I'm a bit late, but instead of post cruise depression I managed to get a post cruise cold. I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

There were two major drawbacks for us on Royal: the class system (also called C&A) and the shortage of waiters in bars and lounges (Playmakers being the notable exception). I'm hoping that it isn't that bad on normal cruises with less top tier cruisers. As for the missing waiters, well at least you get to know your bar tenders.... Apart from that, we were really happy with our first Royal experience. The food was better than expected, staff was phenomenal, entertainment top-notch and the ship amazing. We also liked the international mix of cruisers. TLDR: we'll be back - for Oasis 5 transatlantic and we're also looking at Anthem cruises from Southampton.

 

Regarding our cruise with Caribbean Princess: we can't recommend it. The ship is old and looks the part (we've sailed on ships 10 years more senior that looked better) and there isn't much to do. Caribbean Princess also has some major problems with vibration - your plates and glasses are constantly moving in the buffet (deck 15!). Food in the MDR is way worse than on Royal, so bad that we only went twice. We liked the buffet better than the Windjammer so we spent most dinners there. As for speciality dining, Sabatini's was on par with Jamie's, but Crown Grill was way inferior to Chops Grille. Yes, Crown Grill is cheaper than Chops Grille, but I'd prefer paying a bit more for better quality.  We liked Planks (part of the buffet that sells barbecue dinner for 12$ per person).

Regarding service, Princess was also inferior to Royal - there were A LOT of staff but they prefered to chat among themselves, therefore you often had to get drinks yourself. I didn't mind that much on Royal but if there is enough staff around, why don't they work? We also had a bad cabin steward who forgot the water for my CPAP even though I prebooked it (took some reminders) and who was capable of overlooking empty dishes and glasses for up to 3 days in a row. I just stacked them up until even he couldn't not notice anymore... Other bad service examples include Princess not providing German menus or cruise compasses even though they advertised it beforehand (no problem for us but we met some fellow Germans that were really struggling). Another thing that really annoyed us was the amount of advertisements and sales. You were constantly plagued by staff trying to sell mimosas, speciality dining, pictures... or even schnapps glasses in the MDR after dinner. And trust me, they weren't subtle about it, it was really rude at times.

There were a few good points about this cruise: the Caribbean (yes, we'll have to do it again), the super comfy bed (way better than on Royal) and in part the medaillon. When it worked, your stateroom door was unlocked when you approached - a real plus when carrying food or drinks. You could also order drinks from anywhere you set via the app - well, at least when it worked... it's still quite buggy. Funny enough, while the app manages these more complicated things, it's impossible to show the MDR menu of the day, or any day in fact.

Guess the comparison between good and bad points says it all - we'll definetely never sail Princess again, we were indeed very happy when we finally could disembark. Descriptions can't do it justice to say how bad it was. On the bright side, the flight home was actually rather enjoyable. I fear I'm now spoiled and will never fly economy on intercontinental flights but well... at least I'm willing to go to the US again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2018 at 5:50 PM, twangster said:

Congratulations on a great trivia win!

On the second point, those would be the PIT (Pinnacle In Training a.k.a. Diamond Plus) and Pinnacles.  If they can't find something to complain about, they'll create something to complain about.  Having just done the Snowbird Migration cruise that was also a top heavy, I've grown an immunization to it. 

On Adventure in an elevator a few weeks ago - "This is the worst cruise ever!", "We had to wait 8 minutes in the terminal!".  Hmmm, I'm thinking this is one of the better cruises I've done and an eight minute wait?  Seriously?

As a born and bred New Yorker who lived in Florida for almost 30 years before retiring back north to Connecticut, I'm very familiar with the snowbird migration during "season," but don't know about a snowbird migration cruise. Care to illuminate? BTW - did you know that the official bird of Florida is the Early Bird?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yaya luvs to cruz said:

As a born and bred New Yorker who lived in Florida for almost 30 years before retiring back north to Connecticut, I'm very familiar with the snowbird migration during "season," but don't know about a snowbird migration cruise. Care to illuminate? BTW - did you know that the official bird of Florida is the Early Bird?

Annual cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale.  Adventure of the Seas at the moment, 13 nights.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/13-night-the-snowbird-migration-from-quebec-city-on-adventure/AD13YQB-2112901123?sail-date=2019-10-07&currency=USD&wuc=USA&ecid=sl_mdt_shrdln__4645

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...