Royal Caribbean Blog

Kosher food - snacks too!

To the extent that we grew up with these beliefs, and that we sincerely believe them, we usually don't feel deprived. There's no denying a certain amount of difficulty on a practical level, but we accept it as a "given", much like the salary that gets withheld from my paycheck for taxes - I don't miss it because I never realistically saw it.

In any case, I keep reminding myself about people with unusually severe allergies. Compared to them, I have it very easy.

1 hour ago, Keeves said:

In any case, I keep reminding myself about people with unusually severe allergies. Compared to them, I have it very easy.

@Keeves, I find your post interesting and am somewhat aware of eating Kosher from past bosses.  I also find your attitude to be tremendous considering some the items you would really like (like Vanilla or Hazelnut for your coffee!) not being available.  You appear to be a very humble man. I hope you re enjoying your first cruise!

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, Keeves said:

I have been asking my fellow passengers, "If you wanted a candy bar or you needed a toothbrush, is there a place on board to get it?" And the answers have been uniformly No.

I would have asked customer service the questions you had concerning the toothbrush candy bar question every ship in the royal fleet I have been on have had a section a lot of times in the liquor store that carries many toiletries womens items chips candy headache remedies etc  asking the average cruiser is probably a great second choice but a lot of them are probably on there first cruise or at the least first timer on this particular ship but beware the price of the item you want will shock you it cost me 5.00 for a travel bottle of listerene I buy at wally world for 1.00 best to bring these items with you cruise on my friends 

I have just finished reviewing the wonderful selection sent on the kosher menu sample from royal if I were you I would ask to speak to the hotel director immediately show him what happened someone dropped the ball to be offered chicken strips and soggy flounder when so many wonderful items would have been available is inexcusable also in many ports there is a minor resupply warehouse whjch may be able to offer some of the items you require not sure but it is worth a shot if not there are grocery stores near the ports that they can get you the food items you require I have a small understanding of your plight as my cousin was the head Rabbi in new York till his retirement this year  

1 hour ago, henrysea13 said:

I would have asked customer service the questions you had concerning the toothbrush candy bar question every ship in the royal fleet I have been on have had a section a lot of times in the liquor store that carries ... ...

You may have missed where I posted that I did ask this at the Customer Service desk. She answered that toothpaste is available at Port Merchants, but candy is not. It turns out that both categories (and some others too) are indeed available at Port Merchants, except that none of those items are visible from the Promenade. From outside, it looks like they sell nothing but liquor.

By the way, I did not actually need any candy or toothpaste. I was simply surprised that the ship did not have the sort of gift shop where one could buy these things. But once I actually entered Port Merchants, and discovered the area where they did have these things available for purchase, I found and purchased a USB hub, so that I could charge two of my devices on the same 110-volt outlet in my cabin.  I told the workers there how frustrating it was to finally discover that these things were available, and they seemed to sympathize, but what could they do about it?  once I get home, I do plan to write to Royal Caribbean about these problems.

Those files are still unavailable. I apologize. I don't understand. I'll figure it out when I get home I hope.

So here we are, and during the normal chaos of the morning before leaving the ship, having our breakfast in the Windjammer. By magical miracle, half-and-half is suddenly freely available all over the Windjammer. The brand is Cream-O-Land, Kaf-K, the same brand that has been supplying us with the little containers of non-dairy creamer all week.

On the one hand, the sudden availability of a new product onboard ship, should surprise and shock even the non-kosher passenger. But for the kosher passenger it highlights the importance of checking, rechecking and then checking again. When we first got on board the Heinz ketchup packets had an OU, but through the week the percentage got steadily higher of European Heinz, whose kashrus status I have no information about. It is all too easy to grab a familiar logo, and not realize that it is from a different supplier.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 11:07 AM, JLMoran said:

I'm not a plumber, so I can't say exactly how these toilets work. But based on the sounds I heard during flushing, and the fact that you essentially have to close the lid in order to push the flush button, what I think is going on is that flushing is handled via vacuum tubing, to ensure that everything can properly make it to the septic tanks on board. From what I could feel, the button did seem to be an actuator for some kind of mechanical system to open up a valve that exposes the toilet to the vacuum flow and allows flushing to happen, quickly followed by the valve or whatever closing so the tank can refill.

Just from an engineering practicality standpoint, I would imagine the ship designers don't want electrical systems controlling things like the toilets, as if one breaks down at sea it could be near-impossible to fix. Sticking with old-fashioned mechanical systems for something like this, where they have thousands of connections and hardware bits, keeps things economical and easily repaired.

Honestly, this seems like exactly the sort of random ship minutia kind of question for @monorailmedic. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he not only knows the mechanicals of this, but what diameter piping they use, the O-rings for valve seals, and sealing grease brand. 😉

Just caught this.

The button itself is pneumatic (like a hot-tub button) and the flushing operates off a vacuum bus.  Branches off the bus are dedicated to a set number of staterooms.  This means that it can run off a small number of vacuums, yet if there is a leak in the system it only affects a small number of rooms not every unit on that same bus.  Every however-many staterooms you'll find a small main panel in the hall when  the vacuum can be checked, adjusted, etc - along with other electrical, mechanical, and plumbing stuffs.  When you hit the button it's pushing air through a tube to open the valve that lets the force of the vacuum pull everything from the toilet.  

Not sure about the brand of grease.

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2018 at 5:46 PM, Matt said:

First and foremost, I'm not Orthodox so my knowledge of Glatt Kosher foods is limited.  I follow some, but not all of the Kosher rules and definitely do not eat in a Glatt Kosher style. So I apologize in advance if I get something wrong here.

I have seen some Orthodox families on a cruise or two but never investigated as to what steps they took to ensure a Glatt Kosher experience.

You can certainly choose to eat Kosher foods (i.e. avoiding shellfish). No issues there.

If you are looking for food to be prepared and declared Kosher, I suspect you will need to contact RC.  Since there is likely no Rabbi onboard to bless the food as Kosher, you may be limited to the frozen meals that can be arranged. I recall years ago at Disney World trying a Kosher meal for the sake of trying it and it was a microwaved pre-prepared meal.

This advice may be too late, but contacting the ship in advance with a dietary restriction is a good idea.  Moreover, once onboard, touch base with the Head Waiter/Maitree D to ensure your arrangements are correct.

Hi Matt,

Are there any vegetarian food stalls in Windjammer in the QUANTOM ?
Can I be sure that vegetarian food stalls in Windjammer in the QUANTOM  are free of clams, crab, seafood, etc.?

Just now, chaim said:

Hi Matt,

Are there any vegetarian food stalls in Windjammer in the QUANTOM ?
Can I be sure that vegetarian food stalls in Windjammer in the QUANTOM  are free of clams, crab, seafood, etc.?

Yes, you will find a good mix of vegetarian and meat-based foods.  Most of it is pretty clear if it is vegetarian or not.  You can always ask the crew if there's any concern.