That point in which you realize....

that even a 20% drink package will still cost over 1400 for the 2 of you on a 12 day cruise.  Yikes....  Royal has the drink pkg on vision next summer on sale for $52 a day, but even if it drops another 10, it will still cost over 1000 for the 2 of us.  Did I say yikes before???   Oh for the days of 1 person drink pkgs....I can justify it almost because I pretty much do nothing on sea days but sun and drink, but on this port intensive day, even with 2 glasses of wine at dinner and a post dinner cocktail, my husband wouldn't come close.  I guess we will have to hope for drink cards and just bite the "post cruise bar tab" bullet.  Another interesting point (which has come up on a bunch of other threads) is that the combo drink/voom pkg is $25 percent off...they are only charging 11/day for 1 device.  Which I'd love to get but I can't justify paying 17.99 without the drink pkg.   

Wait....if we dont get the pkg, is the vat charged on every drink?  I know this came up before too....maybe 1400 would be a deal lol!  Jane

I know there has been discussion before about the use of the Royal Caribbean Visa card and that there are better cards for money back, credits, etc. We have been using our RC Visa cards for any and all Royal purchases and accumulate quite a few points. Of course, we book our cruises as far out as possible and typically redeem points for a minimum of $200-$300 on board credit which we use for drink purchases. Next year, 5 day Bermuda trip has us in Bermuda for 2 days. No need for a drink package, just OBC!

9 minutes ago, rjac said:

I know there has been discussion before about the use of the Royal Caribbean Visa card and that there are better cards for money back, credits, etc. We have been using our RC Visa cards for any and all Royal purchases and accumulate quite a few points. Of course, we book our cruises as far out as possible and typically redeem points for a minimum of $200-$300 on board credit which we use for drink purchases. Next year, 5 day Bermuda trip has us in Bermuda for 2 days. No need for a drink package, just OBC!

And this would be a great idea....if my other obsession (disney) didn't require having a Disney Visa that I put my cruises on so I can rack up disney trips at the same time!!  So many choices ? Jane

Yeah, I rarely get the drink package even when I'm solo and just need to buy one. 

Even before making diamond and getting diamond happy hour drinks, 8 nights or longer and the drink package was too much for me.  Drink fatigue kicks in around day 5-6.  That isn't so bad on a 7 night cruise but 8 or longer and no way, the drink package is just too much to justify.

I have some 13-16 night cruises next year coming up.  I'm not even going to do the math.  Just no.

Bring two bottles of wine.  Buy some drinks in port.  Use the BOGO beer/wine C&A coupon.  Go to the Captain's address.  Go to the top tier event if platinum or higher.  Buy an occasional drink.  Hope for the drink card.

I got the drink package for our Alaska cruise only because we are going the three other couples and would maybe drink a little more.  There really is no way will with get our monies worth; however, it have been paid for a while and that is something we won't have to think about.  Now that hubby had a heart attack, he will probably not use much in the way of alcohol. 

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

I got the drink package for our Alaska cruise only because we are going the three other couples and would maybe drink a little more.  There really is no way will with get our monies worth; however, it have been paid for a while and that is something we won't have to think about.  Now that hubby had a heart attack, he will probably not use much in the way of alcohol. 

Would you consider canceling his drink package and replacing it with a refreshment package? He can still get the occasional glass of wine or whatever a la carte, and depending on what you paid for the deluxe package you may well come out decently ahead there. You'd have to call Royal to put that through because of the exception to both passengers in the cabin buying the package, but it's doable.

13 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Question that I thought of while reading this thread....Do they offer bottled water in Diamond Lounge like the do in the Suite Lounge?

Yes.  Bottled water is on the list (500ml) but only during diamond happy hour.  Like in the suite lounge I often ask for one or two with each drink order and like a squirrel storing nuts I build up the water reserve in my cabin.  I take them on shore excursions and such.