Should I do the Symphony Transatlantic?

Joe01

Hello all.

So, I was wanting to do the Symphony Transatlantic. Symphony will be a great ship and I like the idea of a TA. I missed out on the Harmony TA by 1 week, so waiting those extra 2 years for Symphony seemed enticing.

However, I got told recently who the Cruise Director would be, and this made me no longer want to do it. Feel free to consider me shallow, but a large reason of why I wanted this sailing was because I was considering joining the Cruise Director's Staff in the near future and the large number of sea days meant that I could spend some time at the main activities and shows in order to get a taste of what they do. With a dud CD running the show, I can't imagine that the Activities will be any good, so am dubious as to whether I would enjoy it or not.

Should I do it or look into another sailing?

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Joe01...it seems like you really want this. If you haven't let it go by now, I say go for it.  Don't let BB make or break your vacation.  And if even if he's not great, there might a great activities manager. 

Any good AM's to nominate? I know who we will have in July, but not yet for October. Praying it won't be Katy from Harmony. She lacked in comedic talent just as much as Bobby.

12 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Any good AM's to nominate? I know who we will have in July, but not yet for October. Praying it won't be Katy from Harmony. She lacked in comedic talent just as much as Bobby.

Sorry, I don't pay attention much to the AMs.

But seriously, you've been thinking of this for a while now...I say you go...

Royal need to take a leaf out of Carnival's book and publish a schedule of CD's months in advance. If I knew who would be on other sailings in October, I might book one of them. I'm too serious about this career endeavor to let this important cruise be run by Bobby Brown.

I had initially heard it would be Marc Walker, who is great so I was looking forward to observing him and the team, then it got switched to Bobby.

Edited by Joe01

As someone who coached football ( soccer ) for a number of years, i would say this. i learnt a just as much from the BAD coaches as i did from good ones, what i learned from the bad ones was what NOT to do. If this CD is bad maybe scouting him out to see just why he's bad and where he makes mistakes will be of just as much help to you in your future career as spending all your time with only good CDs, because you will know what not to do. 

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

As someone who coached football ( soccer ) for a number of years, i would say this. i learnt a just as much from the BAD coaches as i did from good ones, what i learned from the bad ones was what NOT to do. If this CD is bad maybe scouting him out to see just why he's bad and where he makes mistakes will be of just as much help to you in your future career as spending all your time with only good CDs. 

I've already had Bobby on 2 cruises, and have learned exactly what not to do from what I have seen from him. If, in 10 years, you are on a cruise and I am your CD, I can assure you that nothing would be run the same way that Bobby runs it. Someone of an older generation would HATE my style, but I would at least care about the guests and their enjoyment of the shows & activities.

11 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I've already had Bobby on 2 cruises, and have learned exactly what not to do from what I have seen from him. If, in 10 years, you are on a cruise and I am your CD, I can assure you that nothing would be run the same way that Bobby runs it. Someone of an older generation would HATE my style, but I would at least care about the guests and their enjoyment of the shows & activities.

OUCH are you saying OLDER people have no sense of humour? 

trust me if you are my CD in 10yrs you will see the older generation can be fun :5_smiley: AND some of us are naturally funny without even trying :) 

glad you enjoyed the bobby on the 2 cuises :4_joy: ( you may need to google it as it's maybe just a UK slang) 

7 minutes ago, Ray said:

OUCH are you saying OLDER people have no sense of humour? 

trust me if you are my CD in 10yrs you will see the older generation can be fun :5_smiley: AND some of us are naturally funny without even trying :) 

glad you enjoyed the bobby on the 2 cuises :4_joy: ( you may need to google it as it's maybe just a UK slang) 

No, I didn't say that. I just think that my style would appeal to a younger market more. It's all about energy and all around fun. My goal would be to enhance everyone's vacation. Probably a British version of Abe Hughes. I'm sure you guys would be fun. 

One thing that an older generation would dislike would be that I would try and have a "Millennium Street Party", where there would be dance moves and tunes from the past 20 years. I would be a millennial type of CD, put it that way. Not an older and laid back type.

mmm millenium street party???? sounds great :) now being 50 THIS year i would need to request music by the like of Avicci, David Geutta, Calvin Harris ( no im not joking ) something loud with a good dancebeat that gets the blood pumping,  you see everyone is different, not all old people like to sit and moan about the noise just as not all young people like a good party. 

Me? been there and got the t shirt! thing is i still wear it :4_joy: 

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

mmm millenium street party???? sounds great :) now being 50 THIS year i would need to request music by the like of Avicci, David Geutta, Calvin Harris ( no im not joking ) something loud with a good dancebeat that gets the blood pumping,  you see everyone is different, not all old people like to sit and moan about the noise just as not all young people like a good party. 

Me? been there and got the t shirt! thing is i still wear it :4_joy: 

I'll get to work for the Millennium Street Party! Thanks for your suggestions of artists.

I know BB is the initial CD but after 7 months I thought I heard he would be off before the TA. 

If you plan to join the CD staff the reality is you will have to deal with all sorts of co-workers, much like the rest of us.   I've had BB on a cruise and while he was a dud it had zero effect on my cruise.  It's funny how many cruisers with Carnival seem to have a great or terrible cruise based on who the CD is.  I can't relate to that so I'm probably not a great person to comment on your question since I just don't get the need for a CD to be the decision to cruise or not.  

It seems to me you could learn just as much what not to do and how not to behave by a bad CD as much as you could from a good CD.  Possibly its even more valuable, i.e. note to self,  do NOT do this or act this way - sort of thing.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I know BB is the initial CD but after 7 months I thought I heard he would be off before the TA. 

If you plan to join the CD staff the reality is you will have to deal with all sorts of co-workers, much like the rest of us.   I've had BB on a cruise and while he was a dud it had zero effect on my cruise.  It's funny how many cruisers with Carnival seem to have a great or terrible cruise based on who the CD is.  I can't relate to that so I'm probably not a great person to comment on your question since I just don't get the need for a CD to be the decision to cruise or not.  

It seems to me you could learn just as much what not to do and how not to behave by a bad CD as much as you could from a good CD.  Possibly its even more valuable, i.e. note to self,  do NOT do this or act this way - sort of thing.  

Royal told me this via a DM on Twitter:

"Thanks again for waiting. I've received info that the current Cruise Director planned for the sailing is Bobby Brown, but could be subject to change."

I have already observed BB on Harmony and I already know not to run things the way that he does. No need to observe him again.

I spent a great deal of time on Harmony last summer observing Abe on the First Leg and BB on the 2nd. I will be doing the same on SY this summer with Michele Scarpato, but the TA would be the main opportunity to really get immersed in the activities or at least watch some of them from a distance. 

If you are wondering what I have already learned what NOT to do from watching Bobby, here is the L&M show from our cruise with him.

1) 3 couples not 4. The show can work with 3 couples if a CD has competent comedic ability. I dislike that the men have to stand, and then how would a gay couple work on that format? I would personally ask my AM to truly consider getting a gay couple on stage if possible.

2) Scrap the question about cooking ability. We are in 2018, gender roles are a thing of the past - no reason to ask about how good a woman's cooking is. Not all women cook, some men do instead.

3) Get rid of the name tags. He could just ask the contestants their name. A waste of the CD Staff's time.

4) Bonus Q - "What is your husband's favorite condiment?". Really? If a couple are together, chances are that they have been with each other for multiple meals and that one would know whether their spouse prefers ketchup, mustard or salad cream. Lame question.

5) Show a bit of excitement and engage with the audience outside of the "brutally honest" line. That's the lazy way out. A good CD engages with the audience and with the contestants. He just seemed a bit blank the whole time and any humor was canned and not spontaneous.

That's from just 1 show. Shall we mention the things in the Compass that never existed?

8 minutes ago, mworkman said:

That was painful, watching that! Very dry! He seemed to be in a hurry to get the show over with.

Precisely. He just didn't care. I considered walking out but stayed to see if he would change. In fact, the staff didn't even get the total right and the wrong couple won.

I'm not sounding arrogant, but if I was a CD in the future, I would not deliver a L&M of such a low standard.

Sorry, but if he is running the show, then that TA will be very very boring.

I will say a cruise director won't break my vacation.  I will just move on and find something else to replace it with.  However I will annotate it after the cruise, in the form of feedback.  

I understand what your saying, as I would not work under him.  He would suck the energy from you.

6 minutes ago, mworkman said:

I will say a cruise director won't break my vacation.  I will just move on and find something else to replace it with.  However I will annotate it after the cruise, in the form of feedback.  

I understand what your saying, as I would not work under him.  He would suck the energy from you.

I wonder what his staff thought of him. If they are going to keep him on, they need a flamboyant AM to counter his lack of energy.

We went up to the Sailaway Party on the first day, and he was standing there with his arms folded watching the CD Staff with a fairly sulky look on his face. They were at least trying - he didn't participate.

3 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Cruise directors should be changed out every month.  That is a high energy job and very taxing. I wonder if he just reached burnout?

He's been in the job since 1998. I think the novelty has worn off for him, but surely getting the newest ships should have given him a new lease of life?

I just think that it is time for him to call it a day. He is not what Royal needs on their new ships.

BTW - that was his first cruise of his contract.

15 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Should I do it or look into another sailing?

10 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I have already observed BB on Harmony and I already know not to run things the way that he does. No need to observe him again.

9 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Sorry, but if he is running the show, then that TA will be very very boring.

Looks as though you answered your own question before even posting! in your own words "Without sounding arrogant" you have had a lot of good advice here and all you have done is reply stating how bad BB is and how good you would be, and also that your shows would be for a younger crowd ( so are you just going to ignore the older cruisers?) everyone is different! just because you think BB is dated and not funny doesnt mean everyone feels the same, IF you become a CD people may look at you and think your no good because they dont like your show's or think youre arrogant . you cant please everyone some people just like to complain! 

24 minutes ago, Ray said:
15 hours ago, Joe01 said:

shows would be for a younger crowd ( so are you just going to ignore the older cruisers?) everyone is different! just because you think BB is dated and not funny doesnt mean everyone feels the same, IF you become a CD people may look at you and think your no good because they dont like your show's or think youre arrogant . you cant please everyone some people just like to complain! 

I won't appeal to everyone, but that's life. I was mostly referring to your point about what I have learned not to do from watching BB.

Seeing the first pictures of Symphony makes me really want to do it. No better ship for a TA. Royal did tell me that the CD is subject to change, so maybe. It's just that I want to observe the best CD and Staff possible. I don't know who the AM will be, but a lot of them are useless as well. I've already learned a lot from cruising with Abe Hughes, so observing another great CD in action would be perfect. I initially heard that Marc Walker would be CD and I was excited to observe him, but he will be behind the scenes preparing for the US inaugurals.

22 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Back to the question - would you say that this is a good idea to take this cruise or not given my intentions?

My opinion, quite frankly Joe, is that you should not go. I really think that if you once again dislike this CD as much as you did on Harmony, you will keep thinking that you should not have gone and spent a lot of money to be miserable. Some people say that the CD doesn't make or break their cruise, but in this case I think it will for you. The only possible regret you will have by not going would come if they end up changing the CD. Considering the bad feelings and doubt that you have, just pass on this one. You can do a TA on another ship if you like and cruise on Symphony at a different time.

5 minutes ago, Skid said:

My opinion, quite frankly Joe, is that you should not go. I really think that if you once again dislike this CD as much as you did on Harmony, you will keep thinking that you should not have gone and spent a lot of money to be miserable. Some people say that the CD doesn't make or break their cruise, but in this case I think it will for you. The only possible regret you will have by not going would come if they end up changing the CD. Considering the bad feelings and doubt that you have, just pass on this one. You can do a TA on another ship if you like and cruise on Symphony at a different time.

I'm already scheduled for Symphony out of Barcelona in July, so I won't miss out on the new ship. Confirmed that BB won't be there then.

Any good TA's to take on other ships? I'm not experienced with TA's. Would probably get bored on a small ship. An Oasis Class would have been the best option, so this is a slight Catch 22 situation.

7 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I'm already scheduled for Symphony out of Barcelona in July, so I won't miss out on the new ship. Confirmed that BB won't be there then.

Any good TA's to take on other ships? I'm not experienced with TA's. Would probably get bored on a small ship. An Oasis Class would have been the best option, so this is a slight Catch 22 situation.

Sorry, can't help you there, Joe. Actually, per your signature on CC, you have been on twice as many cruises as I have and I have not done a TA.

If Freedom isn’t too small for you, we have Drew Devine on board right now. I’m assuming he’ll be here a while, he just transferred over last week from Liberty, or maybe it was Indy; I forget what the folks in Vintages told me last night. Either way, I found him very entertaining and engaging at the Welcome Aboard show. Definitely looking forward to experiencing more of him at the other shows.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

If Freedom isn’t too small for you, we have Drew Devine on board right now. I’m assuming he’ll be here a while, he just transferred over last week from Liberty, or maybe it was Indy; I forget what the folks in Vintages told me last night. Either way, I found him very entertaining and engaging at the Welcome Aboard show. Definitely looking forward to experiencing more of him at the other shows.

Hello. Drew was on Liberty last. He seems to be a good CD, but the issue with Freedom is that she will be out of San Juan in October. Coming from the USA, flights are pricey, so add that to a Transatlantic flight from Scotland, we are looking at very expensive flights before the cruise. SJU just isn't very accessible for us. Good suggestion though.

Have a nice cruise!

20 hours ago, CGTLH said:

If you are willing to wait a year Oasis will be doing a TA.

Afraid that won't be an option for me as it is in April. If I am successful, I hope to get the Allure for my first contract as that will head to Europe in 2020. 

I am seeing footage of the Symphony as she has now came out, alongside footage of the Harmony TA and really wish that I could have gone. Symphony is basically another chance, but why on earth did Royal not think of someone else to do the Inaugural Transatlantic for their newest ship? The entertainment and activities product on that sailing will suffer. An AM can only do so much (many of them are duds as well), and the Staff can't affect the cruise that much either.

I would be quite happy to work with and learn from a dynamic Cruise Director. Not sure where many of them will be in October. Trust me when I say that the job interests me and I want to give it my all.

Has anyone done a Transatlantic and can sell it to me? An Oasis Class TA has been in the works for a few years now, and this is the only time of year that I can really do it at. I feel as if I would be missing out.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, Joe01 said:

Hello. Drew was on Liberty last. He seems to be a good CD, but the issue with Freedom is that she will be out of San Juan in October. Coming from the USA, flights are pricey, so add that to a Transatlantic flight from Scotland, we are looking at very expensive flights before the cruise. SJU just isn't very accessible for us. Good suggestion though.

Have a nice cruise!

About £800 pp for the flights ( thats ABZ to JFK to SJU) 

4 minutes ago, Ray said:

About £800 pp for the flights ( thats ABZ to JFK to SJU) 

Can you even fly non-stop from Aberdeen to JFK? I would fly from GLA or EDI.

I just don't think San Juan is a viable option for us. 

No you need to stop off be it Iceland, dublin, london etc. 

We are going to london this time on way to NYC with BA. a few hours hanging about airport then Delta down to SJU. Stopping off in NYC for  a few days on way back