Should I do the Symphony Transatlantic?

Joe01

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

No you need to stop off be it Iceland, dublin, london etc. 

We are going to london this time on way to NYC with BA. a few hours hanging about airport then Delta down to SJU. Stopping off in NYC for  a few days on way back

Sounds like a great trip! 

On 3/30/2018 at 12:12 PM, Joe01 said:

However, I got told recently who the Cruise Director would be, and this made me no longer want to do it. 

If this CD is such a dud, who is to say this person might not be with Royal at the time of your cruise?  SURELY if he is a dud some important people know this...ya know?

20 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

If this CD is such a dud, who is to say this person might not be with Royal at the time of your cruise?  SURELY if he is a dud some important people know this...ya know?

I have informed Royal about this already. He's had poor reviews for a while, but they tend to keep dud CD's on. I don't think he should be fired, but consigned to a ship whose guests are mostly 60+. I said to Royal that the fact that he gets SY despite poor reviews on HM shows an inability to listen to guest feedback.

Royal have so many good CD's. Even if some didn't want it, they surely could have found someone better?

Edited by Joe01

5 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

What's SY and HM shows?

SY = Symphony

HM = Harmony

I'll make the sentence more clear - "I said to Royal that the fact that he gets Symphony despite having had poor reviews on Harmony demonstrates an inability to listen to guest feedback."

Not the first time that this has been the case - they had Ken Rush doing the takeouts for years and most couldn't stand him either. Likely that some didn't want to do the inaugural seasons of Freedom or Oasis either as he was there. Ironically, Ken is now the very person who creates the CD schedule in Miami. 

I need to decide by August, so plenty of time for them to choose another Cruise Director for SY. At the very least, get a dynamic Activities Manager, but I just found out the AM scheduled and she isn't that good either. I mentioned her in my feedback after Harmony and they clearly didn't listen again.

Not expecting much for that cruise, which is a shame given that this is their flagship.

Edited by Joe01

You never know for every 1 person complaining there may be 5 saying they do a great job.

And IF youre not expecting much from the cruise WHY book it? Way i see it if you go onto a cruise with such a NEGATIVE attitude towards crew/ ship or anything you're just going to pick up on every little thing that you dont like and complain about it constantly. 

5 minutes ago, Ray said:

You never know for every 1 person complaining there may be 5 saying they do a great job.

And IF youre not expecting much from the cruise WHY book it? Way i see it if you go onto a cruise with such a NEGATIVE attitude towards crew/ ship or anything you're just going to pick up on every little thing that you dont like and complain about it constantly. 

I run the Cruise Director List on Cruise Critic and also like to read reviews. A pattern emerges pretty quickly of who is good and who is a dud.

The reason I considered booking it is because I had wanted to do an Oasis Class for a Transatlantic, and having seen how much fun everyone had on the Harmony TA, I wanted to join in for the next new ship. 

9 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I run the Cruise Director List on Cruise Critic and also like to read reviews. A pattern emerges pretty quickly of who is good and who is a dud.

The reason I considered booking it is because I had wanted to do an Oasis Class for a Transatlantic, and having seen how much fun everyone had on the Harmony TA, I wanted to join in for the next new ship. 

you contardict yourself, you say on one post you DONT expect to have much fun then your last you want to join in the fun. Way i see it from all your posts you want a CD job and very few of the current CD'S  meet how good you would be in your own mind. Your constant complaing about how bad people are is tiring and boring 

11 minutes ago, Ray said:

you contardict yourself, you say on one post you DONT expect to have much fun then your last you want to join in the fun. Way i see it from all your posts you want a CD job and very few of the current CD'S  meet how good you would be in your own mind. Your constant complaing about how bad people are is tiring and boring 

There are some fantastic Cruise Director's who work for Royal. Abe Hughes, Joff Eaton, Marc Walker to name a few. I never said anything about any other Cruise Director. Some of the Activities Manager's that I have encountered aren't great, but with the exception of Bobby and John Blair, most Cruise Director's are decent in my experience. I had Abe Hughes on Harmony last Summer and learned a lot from watching him.

I've found an alternative sailing!

Oct 28, 2018

(Sunday)

14 Night Caribbean Transatlantic Cruise

Southampton, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Ports: Southampton, Philipsburg (St. Maarten), Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas), San Juan, Labadee, Fort Lauderdale

Tim Connor is currently CD on Indy so fingers crossed that he will be there again for the October TA. Would love to work with him. Not to mention that the Indy is a refurbished ship and has a fantastic itinerary in the exact same timeframe as SY!

Would you still say that there is any reason to choose Symphony over Independence?

1 minute ago, Joe01 said:

I've found an alternative sailing!

Oct 28, 2018

(Sunday)

14 Night Caribbean Transatlantic Cruise

Southampton, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Ports: Southampton, Philipsburg (St. Maarten), Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas), San Juan, Labadee, Fort Lauderdale

Tim Connor is currently CD on Indy so fingers crossed that he will be there again for the October TA. Would love to work with him. Not to mention that the Indy is a refurbished ship and has a fantastic itinerary in the exact same timeframe as SY!

Would you still say that there is any reason to choose Symphony over Independence?

I totally love Tim Connor, but with all the bouncing around of CDs lately wouldn't it be unwise to bank on him being there in October?  That's still 6 months away.

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I totally love Tim Connor, but with all the bouncing around of CDs lately wouldn't it be unwise to bank on him being there in October?  That's still 6 months away.

Joff will cover the bulk of Southampton summer season, but will be on vacation then. They tend to get a British CD to cover the rest of the season, and given that Tim is there from March - May, he may come back in September and take her back over to FLL. It sounds plausible.