Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Shore Excursions Cancelled Involving Tourist Ferries


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Matt said:

This is potentially big news

Matt, I just saw a Dr was beaten and died in Puerto Vallarta, and the news pointed to Cancun and Cozumel that the State Dept was warning. I'm wondering if this is all new, with these destinations now. If you find anything out, let us know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Explosives ?  Second set ?  I never heard about the first set !  What is this about ?

So there was the first explosion on Feb 21 that @Suzanne reported and they later found that explosives had caused that.  Then yesterday, they found explosives on another ferry that runs from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen.  That prompted the warning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just did a google and yes, it appears that the Feb 21 ferry explosion was intentional.  UGH.  The east coast of Mexico has been spared much of the violence of the rest of the country for the most part.  Maybe that is coming to an end.  Very sad.

Dan and I have decided to just stay on the ship when we go to Coz in April.  I did on our last cruise, too.  He got off just to go to the leather shop to buy some belts. He has been buying all of his belts from the same guy for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I overreacting to think about changing my Western Cruise to an Eastern Cruise? I probably am, but thinking about it. I guess shit happens no matter where you are, so need to give this some thought. I cruise primarily for the ship not the ports as I've been to most, but hubby hasn't been to too many.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

Am I overreacting to think about changing my Western Cruise to an Eastern Cruise? I probably am, but thinking about it. I guess shit happens no matter where you are, so need to give this some thought. I cruise primarily for the ship not the ports as I've been to most, but hubby hasn't been to too many.

I don't think you are over-reacting...I think caution is a good thing. I think that RC will have a very good handle on the risks for the ship and passengers in port. I like what  @WAAAYTOOO said about staying on the ship. RC's security will be heightened I am certain especially since these ferries dock in controlled areas. It has me reconsidering renting a car and driving around Coz when I am there in a couple months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I don't think you are over-reacting

You're right, very stepped up security. I may just keep it, go to Key West and Cayman and stay on the ship while in Mexico. Such a shame. I saw Carnival also stopped the excursions and I"m sure Celebrity (who I am on in January) and sister to RC has probably already cancelled them too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Dan and I have decided to just stay on the ship when we go to Coz in April.  I did on our last cruise, too.  He got off just to go to the leather shop to buy some belts. He has been buying all of his belts from the same guy for years.

I do the same thing, also where I get my wallets, great quality, they gave such a good deal in October I bought 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Does this include the ferry that takes you from Coz to Playa del Carmen ?  If so....yikes !


Exactly that's the one involved.  So basically if Cozumel is a port of call you will not be able to go with a Royal Caribbean excursion to Main land. However you could take a ferry by yourself. 

This event's are rare, very rare in Mexico. We are having drug related problems, drug cartels and other insecurity issues but never had explosives or bomb related events. 

I don't think this would evolve in something worst. It feels like its some kind of political related events. The ferrys involved were property of former Governor so... 

In Cozumel there hasn't been any kind of insecurity issues so far, so if you want to get off the ship you should be fine!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, carlosalonsor said:


Exactly that's the one involved.  So basically if Cozumel is a port of call you will not be able to go with a Royal Caribbean excursion to Main land. However you could take a ferry by yourself. 

This event's are rare, very rare in Mexico. We are having drug related problems, drug cartels and other insecurity issues but never had explosives or bomb related events. 

I don't think this would evolve in something worst. It feels like its some kind of political related events. The ferrys involved were property of former Governor so... 

In Cozumel there hasn't been any kind of insecurity issues so far, so if you want to get off the ship you should be fine!

Where in Mexico do you live?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, function12 said:

This does not sounds good for the area

No I would think it does not. The interesting thing about these incidents though is how they are "not really newsworthy" as most of us didn't even hear about the bomb on the initial ferry explosion much less the the ones found Thursday. I'm glad to see RC and Carnival and hopefully Celebrity are stopping the ferry crossing excursions. They've had enough bad press with the accident awhile back. too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2018 at 3:06 PM, Matt said:

Where in Mexico do you live?

Guadalajara

On 2/3/2018 at 3:33 PM, function12 said:

I would take that with a grain of salt, taking into account the source...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...