Grandeur of the sea delay for 2 days! Wth

Grandeur of the Seas is currently experiencing a technical issue which limits the operation of one of the two rudders used to steer the ship. While the ship is fully operational, in an abundance of safety, we will be making the repairs immediately. As a result, the new departure date for your cruise is Saturday, January 13th. We are actively working through the details and will have another update for you today at 12:30 PM EST. This update will include boarding times on Saturday, compensation details and all other necessary information. We are very sorry for this impact to your vacation and thank you for your patience.

First time cruising and this happens, so do we still cruise for the whole 9 days? Do we get any type of refund for inconvenience?! 

Well doesn't this stink! I"m not as up on some of the others here, but I would guess they will compensate you for the 2 days and only due 7 now. they need to keep on the schedule. I could be wrong though. I would wait till today at 12:30 though. I'm sailing on her in May so I know how this is a disappointment to you. It happens though.

5 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Well doesn't this stink! I"m not as up on some of the others here, but I would guess they will compensate you for the 2 days and only due 7 now. they need to keep on the schedule. I could be wrong though. I would wait till today at 12:30 though. I'm sailing on her in May so I know how this is a disappointment to you. It happens though.

I think  you are right , 

The will make it 7 days cruise, give some OTC 

Wonder what ports or stops will be missed as a result...with 5 stops and 3 seadays something will have to be missed or changed for sure.

Sorry to hear this...sucks especially for those that are flying in as this will be an big extra cost to try and change flights or spend 2 nights in a hotel waiting.. :(

UGH.  So sorry to hear about this.  We won't be on Grandeur until June 30 so hopefully it will all be resolved by then.

Your cruise will be shortened by 2 days and you will receive some kind of compensation for the inconvenience

What a nuisance.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise, even if it is shortened by 2 days.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Really sorry to hear this has impacted you.

56 minutes ago, JaeBoogie said:

Do we get any type of refund for inconvenience?

The next update is supposed to include info on compensation.  In my experience, you will get some form of money back and/or cruise credit.

Certainly better safe than to be sorry but as a passenger with 3 other adults, we are very disappointed in losing two days.  All arrangements will need to now change.  We just have to hope that there is no further delays in this cruise ship leaving or being canceled.  It makes sense that this will be what happens so that our cruise is the only one inconvenience as the Grandeur is booked for months ahead. 

I needed these 9 nights to reach the diamond level so now it also shorts me 2 nights from my goal.

Very sorry to hear about this.  It really is simple bad luck that this is happening on your first cruise, RCCL alone has a couple dozen ships sailing around the world at all times and rarely has this happen.  There are likely people on this sailing that have sailed 50+ cruises and this is the first major problem they have dealt with.

Wait for the update to see what happens before doing anything, but if you have trip insurance it probably is a good time to find the coverage information and contact numbers and have them handy.

41 minutes ago, Nowniki said:

I needed these 9 nights to reach the diamond level so now it also shorts me 2 nights from my goal.

That sucks!!....I wonder if there is anything they can do..as u booked and paid for a 9 nite..I would be PO if I had booked this length cruise to hit a status and then they reduce the cruise and don't give the points...kinda unfair to say the least.

Hope they come through for you and for everyone cruising on this one.

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

That sucks!!....I wonder if there is anything they can do..as u booked and paid for a 9 nite..I would be PO if I had booked this length cruise to hit a status and then they reduce the cruise and don't give the points...kinda unfair to say the least.

Hope they come through for you and for everyone cruising on this one.

Hadn't considered the chase for C&A points.  That would really suck if you were going to level up in C&A after the cruise but now are left a night short.

1 hour ago, Nowniki said:

My husband and I sailed on the Hurricane Irma shortened Oasis of the Seas in September.  Cruise should have been 7 nights, but was changed to 4 nights.  We both received 7 C&A points for the trip.  

4 minutes ago, Dawn T. said:

My husband and I sailed on the Hurricane Irma shortened Oasis of the Seas in September.  Cruise should have been 7 nights, but was changed to 4 nights.  We both received 7 C&A points for the trip.  

Welcome to the message boards!

Thanks for posting your experience, great to know how it works.

As promised, we would like to provide you an update on your upcoming cruise on Grandeur of the Seas.  Due to a technical issue which limits the operation of one of the two rudders used to steer the ship, in an abundance of safety, we will be making these repairs immediately causing a delay to your scheduled sailing.  Your sailing will now be departing on January 13th.  We are sorry for the impact that this is having on your vacation.

Compensation details:

As a result of this change, should you decide to sail with us, we will be adding a 50% refundable Onboard Credit to your account. This amount will be based on the cruise fare portion paid, non-inclusive of taxes and fees. If your onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will go to your credit card on file. If you are going join us and we hope you will, you are all set.

If you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a refund to your original form of payment. Please contact your travel partner or contact us directly at 1-888-281-9344, if you decide not sail. Please allow 7-10 days for processing.

For guests that are flying in:

For our Air2Sea guests or guests that purchased air directly with Royal Caribbean, we will be reaching out to you or your travel partner to work through new travel arrangements.

If you purchased air on your own, we will be reimbursing change fees of up to $200 per person for Domestic flights and up to $300 per person for International flights (change in airline reservations must be like-for-like cabin class and a faxed/email copy of air fees assessed must be provided for reimbursement). Please submit your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.

Pre-purchased items:

If you have a pre-purchased beverage package or an internet package, we will provide you with a refund of the prorated 2 days.

Itinary update & Check-in:

For your convenience, here is a copy of your updated itinerary:            2 days were removed

We know this change is disappointing and we are truly sorry. While this is not the situation that we originally anticipated, we are excited to have you onboard and are sure that your time with us will be terrific.