Super Bowl Commercial 2024

The past two years Royal has bought one 30 second ad during the Super Bowl. This year we have the release of Icon that already has some manufactured 30 second spots.

How many ads might we see this year??? 0? 1?  2?  .....More????

30 seconds of time during this years broadcast costs $7 million and few dispute the cost for the value of the exposure received--for the right ad.

Predictions?

I'm thinking that Icon is such a big deal for the company that they do two this year. Both during prime audience attentiveness. During the 1st/2nd quarter and another just before the halftime show.

I'll also wager they go with existing spots they already have and no way do they manufacture something just for the game. Like, Lionel Messi wandering around and showcasing the ship. The existing ads they already have are solid on their own.

28 minutes ago, bobroo said:

I'll also wager they go with existing spots they already have and no way do they manufacture something just for the game. Like, Lionel Messi wandering around and showcasing the ship. 

Never understand why they went for someone convicted and originally sentenced to jail time in Spain for tax avoidance as an "icon" 

38 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Because he's still arguably the most popular athlete in the world and especially in Miami

Not disagreeing with that! Fantastic footballer who is one of the greatest of all time! but the question is should anyone with any serious convictions that has possible jail time be a role model and have things named after them? 

Basically its saying "its ok to break the law you will still be treated like a god"!

9 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I don’t know but I feel like I am starting to see more Utopia ads than Icon.  My bet is if there is going to be an add it will be for Utopia.

I just saw my first Utopia ad during a basketball game, and I thought it was Icon at first. I guess Utopia is getting many more slides than other Oasis class ships?

7 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I just saw my first Utopia ad during a basketball game, and I thought it was Icon at first. I guess Utopia is getting many more slides than other Oasis class ships?

I don't know about many more, but they are making the ultimate abyss faster, they are being a bit sneaky saying "18 slides" but when you actually read into it, it's including the slides at Coco Cay since it's part of every itinerary. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/utopia-of-the-seas/pools

They've invested a ton into TV advertising, including during sporting events, over the past several months. They probably decided the repetition was better than a one-off. Super Bowl ads were going for $7 million for 30 seconds. Strategically, Super Bowl ads are more conducive to high-production, specialized, one-off ads vs. what Royal tends to do. 

Don't know about you, but their recent marketing seems to be doing a good job of creating awareness. A lot of non-cruisers have been mentioning Icon whereas I don't remember that ever being the case with a new Royal ship. 

3 hours ago, jeffmw said:

They've invested a ton into TV advertising, including during sporting events, over the past several months. They probably decided the repetition was better than a one-off. Super Bowl ads were going for $7 million for 30 seconds. Strategically, Super Bowl ads are more conducive to high-production, specialized, one-off ads vs. what Royal tends to do. 

Don't know about you, but their recent marketing seems to be doing a good job of creating awareness. A lot of non-cruisers have been mentioning Icon whereas I don't remember that ever being the case with a new Royal ship. 

The icon facebook groups I’m in are FULL of first time cruisers. My April sailing has a ton of them also. I’m hoping that means they don’t know to get an early check in time or book specialty restaurants as soon as you board 😁😉

25 minutes ago, Jill said:

The icon facebook groups I’m in are FULL of first time cruisers. My April sailing has a ton of them also. I’m hoping that means they don’t know to get an early check in time or book specialty restaurants as soon as you board 😁😉

This is absolutely by design. The heavy advertising focus on Icon is very clearly geared towards converting first-time cruisers. It jibes with a lot of the narrative from the recent earnings calls as well. Royal knows there's a pretty defined line between vacationers who cruise and those who don't. They've got cruisers locked in, but the gateway to significant growth is converting people who think they'll never go on a cruise. They're positioning Icon as a reinvention of the cruise vacation to be more aligned with a family resort. 

My theory is they've pushed Icon knowing it was the best eye candy for advertising, but also knowing that it would be too expensive for a lot of families. So they get people excited about taking their first cruise and inquiring about Icon, and then when they get sticker shock they book them into Oasis Class ships, which Royal can be confident will also provide a great family experience. 

There'll be good and bad to this for us regular cruisers. Yes, reservations will be easier. People won't know the tricks and hacks, etc. But it'll also be annoying because there'll be a ton of people who have no idea how to do basic things like show up for dinner, or get on and off the ship. I'm guessing lines at Guest Services will be longer.