Reciprocity on Celebrity from cruising on Royal Caribbean

Montemy2419

We are finally Diamond on RC and we booked two cruises on Celebrity to try them due to the lower quality of food in the MDR.  We are labeled as Elite so we will get the perks on Celebrity but our Captain's Club points reflect as "0".  I called Celebrity and it was explained that reciprocity gives us the perks of Elite but we still have to earn the points as a brand new cruiser would.  

I am glad that most of the perks we will be happy with because I don't see us ever moving any higher.  We are in our 60's and stay in either balcony or inside rooms so I am looking forward to trying out the cruise line but disappointed we are starting from scratch.

You may be starting from scratch point-wise but you'll have the perks of Elite from your very first Celebrity Cruise!  Yes, to go higher will take a lot of time/money but that's only fair as you are not a loyal Celebrity cruiser yet.  Sorry if the terms of the deal caught you by surprise, but they aren't required to offer you anything.  The reciprocity program is quite nice as far as loyalty perks go.  It's not really any different than your kids inheriting your status up to the point they turn 18 but then having to earn the correct number of points to get higher status.

The Royal Caribbean Group of cruise lines is the only one that offers tier recognition between sister cruise lines.  It's a wonderful benefit as the alternative which all other cruise lines do is nothing.   

Having sailed Carnival a dozen times when I stepped foot on Princess I had zero status.   Although they are sister cruise lines, they offer no recognition between family brands. Zilch.  

Consequently I'm not disappointed about Celebrity points being tracked on their own because it's the perks of Captain's Club that matter.  In fact it is pretty darn great that they recognize any sort of status when you have never sailed on that cruise line before.   

I made the post mostly to confirm that this is what others have experienced.  Thank you for the feedback and confirm that points wise we are starting at zero.  We are going to enjoy the perks of Celebrity Elite and this to me opens up all the cruise lines since we are starting at zero.  I have started looking at Viking, Azamara and Seaborn because we cruise for the food and travel not the water slides and families to be the focus.  I am looking forward to more adult orientated cruises.  Am I finally becoming an adult ?  😊

2 hours ago, Montemy2419 said:

I made the post mostly to confirm that this is what others have experienced.  Thank you for the feedback and confirm that points wise we are starting at zero.  We are going to enjoy the perks of Celebrity Elite and this to me opens up all the cruise lines since we are starting at zero.  I have started looking at Viking, Azamara and Seaborn because we cruise for the food and travel not the water slides and families to be the focus.  I am looking forward to more adult orientated cruises.  Am I finally becoming an adult ?  😊

You may be starting at zero on all lines but you are getting the perks as if you had the points for Elite on Celebrity.  

But if cruising is all about the points and not the perks that's your decision to make.  

47 minutes ago, PamR413 said:

We are coming from the other direction - We are Elite on Celebrity and are sailing Royal next year for the first time in years.  The Royal website shows us as Diamond but only 16 points.

That's pretty significant because Diamond on Royal is where the meaningful benefits kick in.  

14 hours ago, PamR413 said:

We are coming from the other direction - We are Elite on Celebrity and are sailing Royal next year for the first time in years.  The Royal website shows us as Diamond but only 16 points.

You'll receive Diamond level benefits as Elite (lounge, drinks etc).   Your 16 C&A points don't matter in the reciprocity.   Your set sail pass will show you as Diamond - enjoy.

I suppose that depends on how much you drink between 5-7. 🙂

Reciprocity isn't about perk equality across the lines it's about recognizing the number of points on the sister line with the status they would have earned on that line.  The loyalty programs are different so there will be differences.  

6 hours ago, togo said:

But are the drinks really compatible?  As a diamond, you get 4 per day, but on celebrity you only would get happy hour from 5 to 7?  Is that correct?

The Celebrity Elite benefit is similar to the Royal Diamond benefit prior to the introduction of anytime vouchers. Limited menu at any bar during limited hours(which originated as limited menu in the DL during those same hours).

• 3 months later...

I was just reading Matt's article on status matching with Celebrity and had some questions.

Let's say I'm Emerald in RC for my first Celebrity cruise. I call to status match and they make me Select. I do the Celebrity cruise.

Later, I become Diamond on RC. Can I call Celebrity up again after I turn Diamond and rematch to the Elite status? Or is it only a one-time thing like MSC?

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that this is my experience and understanding of the offer, too.  I think it's surprisingly generous and welcome it.  Fairly experienced RCI (only line cruised!), but now booked two X trips and am looking forward to Elite CC status.  BTW, MSC matched our RCI status, even though we haven't booked with them, yet!

On 12/19/2023 at 8:54 PM, Doug_Texas said:

It’s not one-time like MSC.  It’s every Celebrity sailing.

I would like to confirm if this is still the case. I've recently heard otherwise. For example, if you were Platinum, and you matched, you will be Select on Celebrity. But then you go on more RC cruises and move up to Diamond. You can’t transfer your Diamond status to Elite because you are already Select. You would need to sail enough nights on Celebrity to get Elite at that point.

I want to make sure before I connect the two programs. I don't want to match to Select and have to cruise from 0 all the way to Elite on Celebrity. TIA

1 hour ago, navcrui said:

I would like to confirm if this is still the case. I've recently heard otherwise. For example, if you were Platinum, and you matched, you will be Select on Celebrity. But then you go on more RC cruises and move up to Diamond. You can’t transfer your Diamond status to Elite because you are already Select. You would need to sail enough nights on Celebrity to get Elite at that point.

I want to make sure before I connect the two programs. I don't want to match to Select and have to cruise from 0 all the way to Elite on Celebrity. TIA

They update your status recognition as you progress higher in Crown and Anchor.  Mine was not frozen at the level I happened to be when I first cruised with Celebrity.   You can see your match when you log in to your account.  Your Celebrity account uses the same credentials as your Royal Caribbean account.

You may find you already have been assigned a Captain’s Circle number.  When logged into your Royal account go to profile and “My Loyalty” to see if you already have a Celebrity Captain's Circle number.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:38 AM, Mark Rowland said:

I can confirm that this is my experience and understanding of the offer, too.  I think it's surprisingly generous and welcome it.  Fairly experienced RCI (only line cruised!), but now booked two X trips and am looking forward to Elite CC status.  BTW, MSC matched our RCI status, even though we haven't booked with them, yet!

MSC is very smart to offer status match to get new customers.  However, you need to cruise MSC at least once every 36 months or "poof", your Voyagers Club status is gone and you can't apply for status match again.  Also, if your RCL D+ maps to MSC Gold and you do a match, it can't be re-evaluated if you make Pinnacle (MSC Diamond).

MSC status match is a great idea and they go beyond most other cruise lines in this regard but there are caveats.  If you are on the brink of Pinnacle you might want to wait on the match until you cross over.