Are kids required to eat off the kids menu?

Hi Cruisers,

So sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find this topic in the message boards. My two children and I (10, 4) will be taking our first cruise this September. The menus for this sailing are available online. When we dine out at home, my daughter generally orders off of the adult menu. She is not going to want to eat macaroni and cheese or chicken tenders for the entire week. I anticipate most of our dinners being in the MDR. Will she be restricted to the kids menu or will she be able to order from the regular menu?

Also, I am really debating getting the soda package for the kids. If I omit the package, what options do they have to drink? I saw a post about the horrible iced tea on the ship and I am concerned about beverages as we almost always drink iced tea. 

Haven't heard that.  I heard it about entrees, but not appetizers.  

Another trick is to let them know that in order for me to be 10 level satisfied, I need my appetizers together. 🙂

I don't know how much longer they will bend their rules for me, but I do know, I want my stuff together and I politely let them know that I don't see a path to satisfaction without it.  If what you heard about appetizers is true, it's going to take forever for my meal, I regularly get 3 or 4 if they are ones that I like.

20 hours ago, Xaa said:

You can just order the three appetizers and they'll bring them to you without the exploitation.

I heard the opposite.  But if it works, then use the exploitation for entrees and order a steak for yourself, any other entree you want disguised as your kids' choice(s), and then take the kids to Sorrentos afterwards.  My kids just want the desserts and pizza anyways.

On 8/1/2023 at 12:40 PM, SailAwayVacay79 said:

Also, I am really debating getting the soda package for the kids. If I omit the package, what options do they have to drink? I saw a post about the horrible iced tea on the ship and I am concerned about beverages as we almost always drink iced tea. 

I think the unsweetened ice tea is delicious as is.  There is also regular yellow lemonade available and water at dinner.  Some locations have  freeflavored drinks….I do not drink them so can’t say what flavors. If they find something they like they can fill a cup and bring it to dinner.  I’m sure milk is also available at dinner.

hopefully you are aware you can carry on soda.   This might alleviate your issue

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

Definitely not restricted to kid's menu. My 10 year old has never ordered from it, she found it boring. It's fun to get a copy of the kid's menu though at dinner as it doubles as an origami project 🙂. Ordering from the adult menu is also a great way to try new foods/tastes without worrying about wasting $ if they don't like it! She developed a love for escargot via cruising; an appetizer I would have been reluctant to pay for her to try (though I would have finished it if she hadn't taken to it 😆). 

As for the soda package,  it depends on if your kids like soda. Mine really isn't a fan for the most part and has been quite happy with the free offerings (especially the lemonade and fruit drinks). She drinks a maximum of 1 soda a day really (usually a Shirley Temple at dinner and rarely even finishes it) so we go a la carte with her. If she liked sodas more, we'd spring for the package. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not only can they order from either menu, but kids also get away with ordering from a different restaurant if it is available.

My youngest doesn't eat a lot, so she got away with ordering spaghetti in Chops and 150 central park despite it not being on the menu on those days. They just went next door to Jamie's to get her some spaghetti.

Same with the deserts, my kids asked for ice cream that wasn't on the menu but they got it for them anyway.

I guess my advice would be: Be polite and don't overdo it but if they kids really would like something they get it regardless of the menu. Actually the same for adults.

I do not like truffle fries but I never had a problem ordering fries without truffle despite it not being on the menu or a surf'n turf if both steak and lobster are on the menu. Just be polite and ask.

3 hours ago, ckruetze said:

Not only can they order from either menu, but kids also get away with ordering from a different restaurant if it is available

I’m making an assumption that this was when you were Star Class.  If so, it’s not unusual for this kind of request to be honored….but I would suggest that for GenPop this is probably not a request that would be honored.  Back in “the day” I have had this kind of request honored but many of those leniencies have gone away.  If this was a different cruise(s) from your recent SC experience then I withdraw my comment !

SC are often given unusually generous flexibility for things like this.

18 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m making an assumption that this was when you were Star Class.  If so, it’s not unusual for this kind of request to be honored….but I would suggest that for GenPop this is probably not a request that would be honored.  Back in “the day” I have had this kind of request honored but many of those leniencies have gone away.  If this was a different cruise(s) from your recent SC experience then I withdraw my comment !

SC are often given unusually generous flexibility for things like this.

Interesting. Yes, star class, but I would have thought it doesn't really matter. On Central park the kitchens are so close to each other who cares where the food comes from.

But yes it might have been a star class "benefit" or it might have been that my kids asked very friendly without the assumption that it would actually work.

I would go with: Don't demand something ask politely and be happy even if it is declined.