Formal Wear

Formal night is not compulsory.  More people skip it than dress up in my unscientific analysis.

Shorts are technically excluded from the MDR at dinner, but wearing them is like going 5 MPH over the limit.  Nobody is getting any tickets.

I think you'll be just fine in chino shorts and a button up shirt.

3 hours ago, TheRobinsons said:

Hey, so I noticed that two of the nights are noted as Formal - put on your black tie and cocktail dresses.  Is this compulsory, as I do not wear dresses at all, not casual, not cocktail, I just about wore a wedding dress.

Would a pair of chino shorts and a button up shirt be ok?

You'll get some mixed answers from some people that refuse to allow formal night to die, but Formal night is completely voluntary nowadays.  My wife wears Jeans or a pair of nice shorts and a polo or button up shirt. I wear Jeans (even khaki shorts occasionally on formal night, but shorts EVERY night for the rest of the nights) and a plain color t shirt or polo\golf shirt.  You'll be fine...like @Xaa said, it's almost to the point where more people do not dress up than do. 

DH always wears slacks and a nice shirt for most nights, and dress slacks, button down long sleeve shirt & a tie for dress up nights.  I only wear long, tank style dresses if I'm going to wear one, so that or dressy palazzo pants are my go to on the dressy nights.  I can't wear heels, so the long dresses and dressy slacks are a better option for me anyway.  But, as others have said, many people don't bother dressing up at all - if you want to look a little nicer, then pick something you are comfortable in that maybe has a little sparkle to it, but no one bothers you if you don't

1 hour ago, BowTieBrigade said:

??? 

I think my post was misunderstood.  I was agreeing with other posts about dress being flexible while recognizing that parents and grandparents have the extra responsibility of dealing with children.  Sometimes setting an example for them is useful, sometimes not.  I wasn't being condescending.  Steve Covey always emphasized principles over "rules"....

15 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Or just put on what ever the hell you want and mind your business and not other peoples.

If your vacation is about what others should have on, then you are missing your trip. And the point.

It seems your vacation glow may have worn off...

May be time to plan another cruise.