Hotels between Houston airport & Galveston Port?

Looking at doing a cruise on Harmony out of Galveston in 2024.  Lots of family flying in from around the country.  Any advice on where to stay between Houston airport and Galveston Cruise Port?  I see it’s over an hour away.  And I’m never been to TX.  Also, how to get the family to port on time?!  Maybe a party bus?? (Approx 10-12 of us)

Appreciate any advice! 

There are many hotel options between the airport and the cruise terminal. Typically the hotels on the south side of Houston are less expensive than the ones on Galveston Island. If you are going to be in a day early and wanting to see the sights in Galveston then I would recommend staying on Galveston Island and you can now get shared rides to the terminal from the hotel (Uber or Lyft). Getting to the hotel you can check out Galveston Mom's or some other ride share that will pick you up from the airport and take you to the hotel. If some are coming in from the airport on the day of the cruise then I would recommend using the Royal Caribbean shuttle to the port. Less expensive and they drop you off at the front door.

We just went on the Allure of the Seas in April.  I did lot of research on hotels and transportation because it was easter weekend.  I would recommend staying near the airport and take a shuttle the morning of your cruise.  We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Houston/Bush Intercontinental Airport, and I would recommend it.  It was a nice hotel, a good homestyle restaurant next door and they have a free shuttle from the airport.  If you call group sales, you should get a good price and get breakfast tossed in.  In the morning we took a Lyft to the ship for $90 but for your group I would recommend looking into getting a 15-passenger shuttle to pick you all up at the hotel and take you to the ship.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Udlisa93 said:

Steverk - 

Curious why you wound say - 

Under no circumstances would I recommend anywhere near either Houston Airport.  I am going with a group and this is what we were planning on doing in March 2024.

The area immediately around the airport is not the safest or best.  They have armed security guards at chick-fil-a in the evenings if that gives you an idea of why.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:11 AM, Annie1127 said:

Looking at doing a cruise on Harmony out of Galveston in 2024.  Lots of family flying in from around the country.  Any advice on where to stay between Houston airport and Galveston Cruise Port?  I see it’s over an hour away.  And I’m never been to TX.  Also, how to get the family to port on time?!  Maybe a party bus?? (Approx 10-12 of us)

Appreciate any advice! 

We usually stay at Home2 Suites in Texas City, especially with families, because rooms are big and the property is decent -- it is a Hilton property.  It is about a 15 minute drive to the port.  It is not on Galveston Island, so it is usually priced better too.  Home2 Suites by Hilton Texas City Houston is their website if you want to look.

4 hours ago, Udlisa93 said:

Steverk - 

Curious why you wound say - 

Under no circumstances would I recommend anywhere near either Houston Airport.  I am going with a group and this is what we were planning on doing in March 2024.

The area near IAH is know as "Greenspoint" but the locals know it as "Gunspoint."  Need I say more about that? If you really want to stay near IAH, stay northeast of it in Humble.

The area around HOU is another fairly rough area. Lots of older apartments. Near refineries. Just not as nice or safe as it looks.

My best advice is stay in Webster, League City or Kemah. You'll be much happier.

For me, cheap won out when we went to Galveston in July 2023. We stayed at the Best Western near HOU. I have no idea if the area is safe or not - we literally took the shuttle to the hotel, DoorDash-ed dinner, and stayed in until our prearranged shuttle picked us up the next morning. Hotel and staff were terrific. Just my two cents! I would absolutely do this again too.

7 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

For me, cheap won out when we went to Galveston in July 2023. We stayed at the Best Western near HOU. I have no idea if the area is safe or not - we literally took the shuttle to the hotel, DoorDash-ed dinner, and stayed in until our prearranged shuttle picked us up the next morning. Hotel and staff were terrific. Just my two cents! I would absolutely do this again too.

Same here. We stayed at the Days Inn by Houston Hobby last year. Cheap but recently renovated. I would stay there again. 

On 5/30/2023 at 1:41 PM, steverk said:

If you're trying to save money,  I'd recommend hotels in Webster or League City.

If you want a place with lots to do, I'd suggest Kemah.

If you want to see the ocean,  I'd suggest Galveston. 

Under no circumstances would I recommend anywhere near either Houston Airport. 

I hear this and as we are also currently booking hotels for Galveston, I have looked in these recommended areas....but we can't justify over $200 a night for a single night in what is essentially a layover spot. And that's what webster or league city are running right now.

We often land early afternoon, do errands, grab delivery for dinner and then just watch crappy hotel tv until travel day exhaustion wins and we crash....

so....for us...we're looking at the hotels around Hobby. I currently have a list of brand name hotels all of which are $150/night or lower.

15 hours ago, steverk said:

The area near IAH is know as "Greenspoint" but the locals know it as "Gunspoint."  Need I say more about that? If you really want to stay near IAH, stay northeast of it in Humble.

The area around HOU is another fairly rough area. Lots of older apartments. Near refineries. Just not as nice or safe as it looks.

My best advice is stay in Webster, League City or Kemah. You'll be much happier.

We are staying in Humble for an overnight before our cruise.  The hotel has an airport shuttle service.  We need to get back to the airport on the day of the cruise.  We booked Royal's bus shuttle to the port.  I have no clue how this will work out.  I'm not sure where we will meet the shuttle bus and when to be at the meeting point --- in the arrivals area ... I guess.  However, our flight arrives on the day before our cruise.  Do you have any thoughts or ideas whether this plan is doable or not?

5 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I hear this and as we are also currently booking hotels for Galveston, I have looked in these recommended areas....but we can't justify over $200 a night for a single night in what is essentially a layover spot. And that's what webster or league city are running right now.

We often land early afternoon, do errands, grab delivery for dinner and then just watch crappy hotel tv until travel day exhaustion wins and we crash....

so....for us...we're looking at the hotels around Hobby. I currently have a list of brand name hotels all of which are $150/night or lower.

I just checked Hampton Inn Webster. Since I don't know your schedule,  I selected 1 room, 2 people January 27 for 1 night. Price on the hotel website started at $80.

2 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

We are staying in Humble for an overnight before our cruise.  The hotel has an airport shuttle service.  We need to get back to the airport on the day of the cruise.  We booked Royal's bus shuttle to the port.  I have no clue how this will work out.  I'm not sure where we will meet the shuttle bus and when to be at the meeting point --- in the arrivals area ... I guess.  However, our flight arrives on the day before our cruise.  Do you have any thoughts or ideas whether this plan is doable or not?

It sounds doable to me. I'm guessing you'll meet the shuttle in baggage claim at one of the terminals. Make sure you clarify this point. There are several terminals and many have their own baggage claim. 

21 minutes ago, steverk said:

I just checked Hampton Inn Webster. Since I don't know your schedule,  I selected 1 room, 2 people January 27 for 1 night. Price on the hotel website started at $80.

I have stayed there before.  The hotel was nice and had a lot of stuff nearby, but it seemed out of the way a little in respect to getting to the port if you don't have a car.  We were driving from Dallas area, so we had a car and it was not a big deal for us.

39 minutes ago, steverk said:

Hmm...I don't remember seeing this when I looked before. We're sailing in August and need 2 beds but the price is still round about the same budget... I'll take another look in the area using this one as an anchorpoint.  Do you know if they offer a shuttle from the airport? Or to the port? Or both? I don't see any mention on their site but sometimes they put that information in hard to find places and since we don't intend to rent a car (too much work) or want to drop an excessive amount of money on ride shares, shuttles are our best friends lol

15 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Hmm...I don't remember seeing this when I looked before. We're sailing in August and need 2 beds but the price is still round about the same budget... I'll take another look in the area using this one as an anchorpoint.  Do you know if they offer a shuttle from the airport? Or to the port? Or both? I don't see any mention on their site but sometimes they put that information in hard to find places and since we don't intend to rent a car (too much work) or want to drop an excessive amount of money on ride shares, shuttles are our best friends lol

You could always call and ask.  I doubt there would be any shuttle service to the port as it's about an hour away.

5 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

I just found this in Galveston for the dates you mentioned.  Nice and close to the port and about $100.  Hotel in Galveston, TX | Clarion Pointe® Official Site | Clarion Pointe Galveston Seawall (choicehotels.com)

unfortunately I'm sailing in late august and the price jumps up $187 for 2 beds then

2 hours ago, Va4fam said:

We will be sailing out of Galveston in October......and flying into Houston.  Does anyone know if there is a Buc-cees on the way?

It appears there are a few in the area, but definitely one along the freeway. I remember passing it this summer and thinking what is that massive place?!?? 🤣

Screenshot_20240113-215052.png

8 hours ago, Va4fam said:

We will be sailing out of Galveston in October......and flying into Houston.  Does anyone know if there is a Buc-cees on the way?

Yes there is, but there's extensive road construction on the freeway out front. It's reasonably accessible southbound, but don't try it northbound.