xCANCELLEDx Rhapsody of the Seas - Mar 16, 2024 - Mar 23, 2024 (7 Night Costa Rica & Panama Canal) - RoyalCaribbeanBlog Group Cruise

AshleyDillo

Anyone else flying in/out of Orlando? I booked a flight through Air2Sea since I figured there was little risk as the fare was refundable and I chose the option to pay later. But just curious if anyone else flying from Orlando had any options earlier than the 6:45pm flight on the disembarkation day. I was looking at Copa Airlines website and there is a flight at noon that I would think would be ok to book but that's not appearing on the Air2Sea website so I would have to book directly through the airline and that airfare is non-refundable. Ugh...decisions, decisions....

53 minutes ago, DieselsCruzzzzin said:

I was looking at Copa Airlines website and there is a flight at noon that I would think would be ok to book but that's not appearing on the Air2Sea website

I've got a 12:30pm flight home that I know is there on Copa, but it doesn't show up for me either. I wonder if Air2Sea has a later cutoff for flights due to the distance from the port to the airport.

Our TA booked us on direct flights from Toronto with Copa Airlines using Air2Sea.  Arrive in Panama on the 15th and depart on the 24th meaning a couple extra days for which we have booked rooms at Holiday Inn (pre-cruise) and Crowne Plaza (post-cruise).

Selected Crowne Plaza for the included airport shuttle.

We are open to change on hotels if we find these inconvenient as group plans develop but we felt it prudent to have something on the books rather than ride it out and have troubles later.

Just booked flights (AA) using miles.  Fly on 3-7-24.  2 nights in Panama City (since we've never been to Panama).  Cruising 3-9-24 then B2B with the group on 3-16.

Staying at the Waldorf Astoria (thanks, @Matt for that sweet/suite tip).  For those who qualify, they have an AWESOME US government/contractor rate.  We paid a total of (including all taxes, etc.) $278.30 per night for a condo suite.  Looks pretty nice !!  Coming back on 3-23-24.

Now for excursions....no idea.  What's everyone else doing ?

48 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

WHere are you guys seeing good rates for the Waldorf? One night in a suite costs more than my 2 nights at the Residence Inn.

To be fair, I didn't look at any other hotels so the RI could be dirt cheap....I couldn't tell you.  I've never stayed in a Waldorf Astoria hotel and I most likely never will again.  

This is from the Hilton website and reflect regular rates for 7 March 2024.

image.thumb.png.072e379e8767e716fbffac34df8e8afe.png

This is the same search, but using a filter for Government/contractor rates.  I got the condo suite, city view.

image.thumb.png.b5e0e5618ae7bf251edd4d157e31c357.png

Last week, I was able to use Air2Sea to book our flights.  We are flying down the day before embarkation and flying home the day after disembarkation.  My home airport is BWI so going down, we're flying Delta BWI-ATL-PTY and coming home we got a nonstop on Copa (they are starting service to BWI soon) PTY-BWI on the day after disembarkation. 

Currently booked at the Waldorf for a few days pre-cruise but am seriously considering the Radisson in Colon for the night before the cruise.   I was just there a month ago and the port is right beside the hotel.  Convenient grocery store and a Subway restaurant in addition to what the hotel has.  What could go wrong?

A rare look into a dry lock chamber at the Pedro Miguel locks as maintenance is performed.

https://www.voanews.com/a/panama-canal-maintenance-work-aims-to-extend-its-life-by-a-century/7093383.html

Rhapsody will be using these original locks (or the one right next to it) for the transit in March.

Pretty amazing that these are very locks created by the United States more than 100 years ago.  

On 5/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, baltodave said:

Surprised no one started this thread. 

Anyway we are on this cruise and it will be our first RCB Group cruise! 

It will be our 3rd time on Rhapsody.  First time was Western Caribbean out of Tampa (Jan/Feb 2020) and second time was Greek/Adriatic (Jul/Aug 2022).   

I just merged it in with the main thread. You've got some catching up to do 😉

Not sure what the solution is to make it more prominent where these are located. I try to keep track of the ships with group cruises to catch any but I've been slacking in my moderator duties lately.

• AshleyDillo changed the title to Rhapsody of the Seas - Mar 16, 2024 - Mar 23, 2024 (7 Night Costa Rica & Panama Canal) - RoyalCaribbeanBlog Group Cruise
6 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Not sure what the solution is to make it more prominent where these are located. I try to keep track of the ships with group cruises to catch any but I've been slacking in my moderator duties lately.

Maybe make a subforum for each group cruise thread starting with some special character like _ so they appear at the top.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Maybe make a subforum for each group cruise thread starting with some special character like _ so they appear at the top.

Not a bad idea. Does Invision have a symbolic link feature? Feel like it does but too lazy to look. Then you can have the group cruise roll calls live in a few spots. 

I ended up turning on follow so I can find it easily LOL

1 hour ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Not a bad idea. Does Invision have a symbolic link feature? Feel like it does but too lazy to look. Then you can have the group cruise roll calls live in a few spots. 

I ended up turning on follow so I can find it easily LOL

At a minimum just leave a thread with a single post that contains a link to the real thread, then lock it.

• 3 weeks later...