Mandatory Guest Safety Briefing - Missed

First, I'm surprised that this is an option, with all the "Please report to your muster station to complete your safety briefing" announcements I've heard REPEATEDLY on Day 1 since E-Muster began. It's no longer a requirement that it MUST be completed before setting sail?

Second, shouldn't this be done sooner that 7:00 pm on Day 2? I would say 7:00 AM and your Sea Pass is flagged for purchases, activities, etc. until you complete it.

Third, I do like the idea that @AlmondFarmer had, though. A little bit of Don Rickles-style insult comedy will certainly de-incentivize it happening again! "Where were you for the safety briefing, ya hockey puck?"

EDIT: My mistake, I misread that the secondary briefing was on Day 2. I still stand by the idea of Sea Pass flagging and giving guests the Don Rickles treatment! 😆

It could be they never attended, but it could also be due to Royals amazing tech department. I've been burned by it on the muster twice

First time was pre covid and the bar code on my seapass card was only half printed out, so they couldn't scan it during muster. Was told to go down to guest relations after the muster to get a new card. At guest relations when printing the new card they said they'd give me the checky mark for going to the muster. Next day message on the phone and TV that I hadn't done it, another trip to guest relations, another promise they put the checky mark there. Still didn't fix it.

Last their scanners weren't able to read some of the set sail bard codes (both paper and phone), so they were writing down those peoples names and cabin on a sheet of paper (they had about 2 pages of names by the time we went through). Learning my lesson from the first time as soon as we got the pass card I went down again and got them to scan that

I can commiserate with some of @tjcruisers experience.  When we boarded Vision earlier this week we went to the muster station and had our SeaPasses scanned.  The scanner beeped, he handed us our cards back and said, “you’re done”.  ONLY b/c I am a stickler for details, did I later notice that the “completed” box for the muster drill on our app was not highlighted.  We went back to the muster station and discovered that the wrong muster station attendant had scanned our SeaPasses, therefore, our visit was not properly documented.  This all happened in a matter of 30 minutes after boarding, so we certainly were not on anyone’s “bad boy” list but it was an unnecessary blunder and could easily have been overlooked by us if we hadn’t been checking.

Interesting that “passengers who have not completed the safety drill will not be allowed to sail with us today” doesn’t mean anything at all.  I wondered how they located and disembarked all of those “tardy” passengers.  They don’t, it seems !

Royal recognizes there are clerical errors from time to time...probably on every sailing...one time on Empress, my daughter and I went to the briefing early and sat in Boleros...I recall being counted and recording and still got a nasty gram on my door that night. I checked with Guest Services and was told not to worry about it, that it was ok.

2 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

It could be they never attended, but it could also be due to Royals amazing tech department. I've been burned by it on the muster twice

My teens watched and did all of the muster tasks on the app 3 times and it never showed for them as completed. We told the guy doing the scanning in our designated location and he had to mark them off manually after watching them go through the steps again.

Why not set it up so that a SeaPass doesn't open the cabin door until it has been scanned at the emuster?  People can still get their embarkation drinks, etc. in the meantime - plus, for the diligent among us, it would have no impact because we would have completed the emuster well before cabins come available in the early afternoon (check in time permitting, of course).  Plus, that's a great way to smoke out any technical issues with the emuster well ahead of time.  

Nothing says "we're not really serious about this mandatory briefing before we sail thing" like having a wrist-slap letter posted to the internet.  If I'm new to cruising, I see that and say "oh, okay - well, I'll go when they come and find me".  And they're not wrong - by not disembarking the stragglers, this is what Royal has now seemingly made policy.  Following the rules is for schmucks, apparently.  😕 

In the old days I did muster once but got the letter.  I even had a picture of a rainbow I took while standing out there. 

Royal isn't know for solid IT systems so I'd never assume it doesn't get it wrong sometimes.  In fact I've seen the app not note I'm complete sometimes despite doing all the steps.  One time I went back a second time since it said I hadn't visited my muster station yet.  The crew member said I was good in his system. 

9 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

My teens watched and did all of the muster tasks on the app 3 times and it never showed for them as completed. We told the guy doing the scanning in our designated location and he had to mark them off manually after watching them go through the steps again.

Teens aren’t allowed to complete the drilll in the app…as they are underage. Go figure.

at one point my daughter had a funny message about that from “legal”!

I do believe you can mark them as done in the app.