Rocklegendscruise on Independence

Found this during surfing the web:

www.rocklegendscruise.com

Sailing from Miami in february 2024 to the dominican republic and vice versa for a 4 nite cruise with the Legends of Rock. Seems to be the 11th of that type.

I am quite astonished about the prices they charge for the staterooms - a simple balcony runs for 2300$ after taxes.

Bev packages cannot be bought before OLCI, C&A points are collected, but no advantages for status.

Anyone ever been on one of these cruises? The line up is not that bad 😆

Caro

1 hour ago, Carotthat said:

I am quite astonished about the prices they charge for the staterooms - a simple balcony runs for 2300$ after taxes.

I think the company that is chartering the ship and sells the cabins set the rates. They, in essence, have to "buy" the ship and pay the entertainers their going appearance rates, so they have to bump up the prices to make up those costs. These extra costs are justified by the added value of having exclusive access to some pretty big name entertainment (Concerts, Q&A sessions, Autograph signings, etc.)

Wrestler/Singer Chris Jericho has talked at great length about all the details of organizing his own cruise since 2018 on his podcast. (Chris Jericho's Rock 'N' Wrestling Rager at Sea)

On 4/21/2023 at 9:02 AM, SPS said:

I think the company that is chartering the ship and sells the cabins set the rates. They, in essence, have to "buy" the ship and pay the entertainers their going appearance rates, so they have to bump up the prices to make up those costs. These extra costs are justified by the added value of having exclusive access to some pretty big name entertainment (Concerts, Q&A sessions, Autograph signings, etc.)

Wrestler/Singer Chris Jericho has talked at great length about all the details of organizing his own cruise since 2018 on his podcast. (Chris Jericho's Rock 'N' Wrestling Rager at Sea)

We were at the airport after our cruise in February and the Chris Jericho cruise must have ended the same day, because our flight was FULL of wrestling fans and they were all talking about how great the cruise was. Seemed like they had a blast! 

We did a  7 night '70s Rock and Romance Charter Cruise last year on Celebrity. We had originally booked it for 2020 and was postponed due to Covid.  One of the couples we ended up hanging out with had just gotten off a Legends of Rock cruise on RCL and right on the R&R cruise.  They said it was very fun and of course we had a blast on our cruise. 

Concerts morning, afternoon and evening. Meet and greets, talks, meet the acts/stars on deck, in the elevators, at the pool, while dining etc. We really missed the music when we went on other cruises later that year.

The bad thing is they don't recognize your status so no perks.  We did not have a drink package but several of the on going concerts included free drinks i.e rum punch.  They also allowed us to bring booze back on board at our port stops (St. Martaan, St Lucia or maybe St.Thomas, can't remember).  I don't know if it was because they were just recovering from the Covid shutdown (Feb 2022) or because the ship was full and they were understaffed but the food and service weren't very good. We did notice that on other X cruises last year as well.

As was stated it's not cheap but IMO worth what you pay for all the entertainment you get. Just understand that most of bands only have one or two (if any at all) original band members. A lot of the bands are tribute bands, though most of them are very good. 

Not something we would choose to do every year (like some people we met) but we will likely do it again in the future.

BTW, the Legends of Rock cruise is a different company than the 70's Rock & Romance cruise but the R&R guys (Star Vista) also do a "Flower Power" (mostly 60's music, but a lot of the same bands as the R&R cruise) and a 50's cruise and a Jazz cruise and a soul train/R&B cruise, so you can choose whatever floats your boat.

Edited to add....Looking at the 2024 R&R cruise I see prices are $2249/person for an inside not including port taxes.  That's what we paid last year carried over from 2020.  Balconies are over $3K/person. That's for a 7 night cruise.

22 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

The Monsters of Rock cruise is going on right now on Mariner of the Seas. I did it a few years ago and might do it again next year.

You're there for the bands. In fact, there's no point in wasting time in the main dining room for dinner. You'd miss too much, so everyone, or pretty much everyone, just did the buffet.

Well...not to disagree 😉 but......on our cruise the evening concerts were scheduled around the dinner times so we didn't really miss anything.

On our R&R cruise the first night we were seated at the back of the dining room looking out the aft windows. There was a small stage set up. After our orders were taken a 5 person acoustic group showed up and played Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young music, 5 feet in front of us. They were very good. Got to talk to them between songs, and sets. They played through the rest of dinner. That was pretty cool.

We also met a couple (The Legends of Rock couple) who we ended up hanging out with the rest of the cruise. Still talk to and email them.

Still a good time however you do it. We'll probably do it again someday.

Edited to add....just looked at the Monsters of Rock facebook page. Didn't recognize any of the groups or names of the artists.  Completely different generation. 😆

On 5/2/2023 at 7:10 PM, mac66 said:

Well...not to disagree 😉 but......on our cruise the evening concerts were scheduled around the dinner times so we didn't really miss anything.

On our R&R cruise the first night we were seated at the back of the dining room looking out the aft windows. There was a small stage set up. After our orders were taken a 5 person acoustic group showed up and played Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young music, 5 feet in front of us. They were very good. Got to talk to them between songs, and sets. They played through the rest of dinner. That was pretty cool.

We also met a couple (The Legends of Rock couple) who we ended up hanging out with the rest of the cruise. Still talk to and email them.

Still a good time however you do it. We'll probably do it again someday.

Edited to add....just looked at the Monsters of Rock facebook page. Didn't recognize any of the groups or names of the artists.  Completely different generation. 😆

I might do it again next year. There are shows going on all evening long at different venues. My brother and I would be going back and forth. Each artist performs twice.

This year's lineup is a little weaker than past years. Last year Alice Cooper was the headliner. Night Ranger, Tesla, Lita Ford have been on it before.

It's mostly hard rock bands from the 80s. You're not getting Guns and Roses or AC/DC level bands. Def Leppard did their own cruise and lead singer Joe Elliott got serious vocal issues before he could perform. Singers from other bands on the cruise filled in for him. Not like you can reschedule.  🙂

On 4/21/2023 at 11:00 AM, Sharla said:

I can tell you I was docked next to a rock cruise in 2022 and it was so loud on the deck that I could hear it from the next ship over, in my room with the balcony door closed. But the people looked like they were having fun!

I boarded once as one of these cruises was disembarking, and the amount of hungover rockers waiting on their taxis was almost comical. Apparently they kept the bars open quite late, and embarkation was delayed because of some passengers not leaving. Plus the pool deck was closed for most of the first day due to the stages being dismantled.