Preferred Disembarkation

Rusty2727

For our upcoming cruise, our flight home  doesn’t leave until later in the evening.  We are a family of 4 with two small kids and want to take our time on disembarkation and eliminate stress.  We plan to grab breakfast onboard before leaving, but wondered what you all would recommend for disembarking between traditional (set luggage out night before) or self carry. Whats easiest / gives most time onboard?  Thanks for any suggestions!

32 minutes ago, Rusty2727 said:

We are a family of 4 with two small kids and want to take our time on disembarkation and eliminate stress..... recommend for disembarking between traditional (set luggage out night before) or self carry. Whats easiest / gives most time onboard?  Thanks for any suggestions!

I think that if you have 2 small kids, then it is much easier and less stressful to set luggage out the night before - it can be a long walk/challenge negotiating the ramps, etc, with all your luggage and keeping track of the kids. Also, people can be really impatient on the way out - I've had my heels and toes run over by barely-managed luggage. Just make sure to keep things out in your carry ons for sleeping and departure day. I self carry when I cruise solo. When I cruise with my husband we put our luggage out the night before as he has some mobility issues.

As far as giving you more time, it's as @smokeybandit says - there's just not a big enough difference in terms of taking up the day before your flight. As anxious as you are to get on the ship and start your vacation, that's how anxious they are to get you off so the next passengers can start theirs!

Whether you choose self-assist or luggage valet, you are not required to get off at whatever time pops up on the screen. Those times are simply the earliest you could leave but you have until I think 9:30 or 10 AM to actually get off the ship.

As for what I recommend....I would think, with the fact that you have small kids don't use self assist. I'm just me and my mom (both of us healthy adults) and I hate the idea of trudging my suitcases down the ramp and through the terminals, around the many crowds and porters. Plus you also don't have to worry about dragging your suitcases to breakfast since you have to be out of your stateroom by about 8 something.

I also agree with @smokeybandit that it may be a better use of your time to do things off the ship. The ship is pretty much shut down the morning of debarkation with maybe 2 or 3 breakfast venues open. There's not much to do to entertain the kids and there's a general sense of rush in the air as people bustle along their way. You could always take advantage of the debarkation day excursions offered by Royal which will take you and your luggage to the airport afterwards.

Typically everyone must be out of their cabin by 8 am, and people are stopped from entering dining at 8:30 (various venues onboard have varying times).  If you are already seated when the venue closes to entry it seems like no one throws you out.  My experience on different ships is exit the ship by 9:00 to 9:15.    You can ask for the latest disembarkation time and the associated luggage tags.  The tags identify where you pick up your luggage in the terminal.  Dragging luggage can be cumbersome, maybe drag on a carryon and see how that goes.  The carpet makes it difficult pull and if the elevators are full you’d have to keep waiting with your luggage to find something with enough room.

12 minutes ago, teddy said:

Liberty. 

It wasn’t bad because of Royal Caribbean, it was because of people 

We were on Liberty the first week of September and it was total chaos and it was because of the people and RC. The former because they did not follow their assigned times/directions and the latter because they had almost no one directing.

we did self carry on odyssey last week and bolted downstairs around 6:45 ahead of our 7am departure time to try and beat the elevator crush. to our surprise, they let us waltz right off the ship and we blitzed through customs. i think we were off the ship and outside the terminal BEFORE 7am. 

never had anything like it in my life. 

but i would 100 percent NOT do this if i was traveling with kids. it’s too much to manage; way too many moving parts. we also did not get breakfast or anything before we departed. just said goodbye to our stateroom attendant and whisked off. 

If you are sailing out of a port like Seattle they have a luggage valet service that takes your bags to the airport. It is wonderful because you can spend the day in the city without your luggage. With littles it would be even better. If it is available and call Royal the fee is nominal. We like to have breakfast in the MDR on the last day. Fuel up for the day of travel. Be sure to relax on your cruise, with the littles you are going 24/7. Don't make your cruise too full of activities. The simplest things like being at the pool will be a treat to your children. Go grab an ice cream for lunch, they will love it. Try not to over program, freestyle a day or two. If you can plan a date night with your spouse, take time for yourself as well. Have a great vaca!