Book Specialty Restaurant then cancel to use your UDP

CruiseGus

Let’s start with I have always thought that booking dining venues on an individual basis to secure a reservation that will be cancelled so that a UDP can be applied to that time slot is gaming the system and unfair to other UDP purchasers.  I know this process ties up money, but that is not a concern of mine as I will get it back, they can have the float.

Then I am sailing on Wonder over Xmas this year, knowing that we will sail a full capacity, and have been reading on other forums and Facebook Groups, that recently it has been reported that some specialty venues have not been available at all to book with the UDP, even when one of the first one onboard. 

Now with the addition of being able to book specialty restaurants through the app,  I have noticed that that process there is included the statement under Important Information “24-hour advanced notice required to cancel without charge”.    That statement does not appear anywhere when using the Web Site to make a purchase.

A few months back @twangster said

test.thumb.png.fff53ab391dc181a84db14ddb17150f7.png

So I like to hear from some of you frequent cruisers @Matt @AshleyDillo @SpeedNoodles @WAAAYTOOO @Lovetocruise2002  on either your experience using this “hack and loophole” or opinions as to its use.

I have never tried to use this "hack" so I cannot personally vouch for its effectiveness but it seems that some have, and have successfully gotten their pre-payment refunded.

Having said that, I will add that I think that, if someone wants to tie up their money twice (once with a UDP and again with a specialty meal direct buy) - go for it.  I do truly see that it is "gaming" the system, but it is not expressly forbidden.  Loophole ?  Ok.  This is the first I have heard of the “24-hour advanced notice required to cancel without charge” warning.  This could be a problem if it is enforced and it may be the cruise line's way of limiting this particular hack.

I will admit that I am a bit nervous regarding our upcoming Christmas cruise, for which I purchased the UDP months ago.  The UDP has been sold out for a long time now and it looks like reservations could be hard to come by.  I may be in luck if, in fact, I am able to make reservations via the app onboard as I will be onboard already (second half of a B2B) and hopefully I can get a jump on this before everyone else gets online access but I will admit that if I have significant issues getting dining reservations, I will not be a cappy hamper.  I guess I will find out shortly and I will report back.

So, one thing I want to mention. If you try to book through the app, even when you are one of the first to board, it might say no dining availability. Some people on FB quoted that they couldn't book specialty restaurants on my Nov 13th Odyssey. The app was showing no availability but when you went to the host, they had quite a few options. In fact, every time I went to a specialty restaurant or passed by one, they weren't close to full. We did after 8pm and it would be one or two other groups in there with us. My sailing was 100% but a bit short staffed.

I haven't used this hack personally. I haven't had any issues with booking UDP reservations for any sailings I have been on, but there have only been a couple where I didn't go into it with the advantage of the Concierge (suite) or Star Class.

I will say that even Star Class guests are often told to prepay for Izumi Hibachi if they want any of the times available on the Cruise Planner since there's a fixed number of seats at each dining time.  I have noticed they seem to only have the early and late hibachi times on the Oasis class available for pre-booking so I suspect they hold back the middle times for the suite guests and UDP and onboard bookings.

I would be worried about UDP on Wonder same as you as I've heard the rumors about not being able to make reservations onboard as well. I assume they sell a lot more individual reservations ahead of time on that ship and aren't deliberately holding back as much inventory.  Would I go so far as to pre-book and pay and be refunded later..probably not. But it's only me and I'm flexible and have zero issues with a super early or super late meal if that's all that's available. I've also been on Wonder before so it's not as dire to try the new to Royal restaurant (Mason Jar).

Mason Jar was allowing folks to order from the menu at the bar (without reservations) when I sailed. They also had a late night bar bites menu that was available with the UDP too.  I know for my upcoming sailing (week before yours I believe) they're open on boarding day for brunch..so if you are wanting to give brunch a try maybe head right there on boarding to eat and make your reservations at the same time on your sailing.

I know for me using the app onboard always worked well. I would have to force it to recognize I was onboard by flipping to airplane mode and connecting to the ship's wifi and selecting using the free app option. I know sometimes it would be tricky if I didn't put it in airplane mode.  I usually do this while I'm walking the gangway to board..always multi tasking.

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I will say that even Star Class guests are often told to prepay for Izumi Hibachi if they want any of the times available on the Cruise Planner since there's a fixed number of seats at each dining time

I have to rescind my earlier declaration that I had never used the "prepay hack".  I had forgotten about this. Our Genie asked us to prepay for the hibachi and Chef's Table  meals on our upcoming OA cruise and so I did...so I guess I have used this hack !  The money for our prepays will be refunded once we get onboard.  I had completely forgotten about this one.

I’m in the same boat right now as I’m currently hacking the system for the 3 night pkg.  I really wanted hibachi and wonderland, and I have a thing about planning shows and days and times.  So right now I have the 3 night dining pkg AND I have 150 Central Park, wonderland and hibachi booked individually.  I’m still trying to decide what to do! But I deliberately didn’t prepay gratuities in case I had to cancel one thing or the other and they gave me onboard credit instead of a refund.  I’m planning on heading to Izumi as soon as I board at 11 to see if I can transfer my individual reservations to the 3 night.  I have no problem with the ethics, just not sure it will work.  Jane

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back, Wonder Xmas 2022, I was the first non-suite; pinnacle; key on board just before 10:30. 

No specialty restaurants had hosts, doors locked.

Headed back to dinning desk on promanade, waited on one other couple in process booking when I arrived.  She actually had a computer hooked to reservation system.

Let me say I did pre-criuse book 3 of the resturants for the day and time slot I wanted.  So when I told the host I wanted to cancel and replace with UDP she said that was smart and no problem.  Just might be 4-5 days to see refund.  Had by end of 3rd day.  Refundable on-board credit. 

Most of the rest of the avalible time slots were mostly early or later.  We are good with early so it worked for us the rest of the nights.

Promenade host could no book any Izume Habachi and told we had to go there and they'd open at 11am.  Well I was about ready to give up when they finally opened at 18 after.  Only one avalible slot, but it didn't work for us so we passed.

This was our first experiance with an UDP and it is a lot of rich food.  We are generally happy with MDR and CK dinners, so if we venture again I think I'll stick with a 3 night package or just purchase 1 or 2.  Yet to be seen.

I will say that if I do a package again I will definately prepay for Habachi very early in the process and transfer to the package onboard.

Loved Wonderland.

On 12/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, CruiseGus said:

Reporting back, Wonder Xmas 2022, I was the first non-suite; pinnacle; key on board just before 10:30. 

No specialty restaurants had hosts, doors locked.

Headed back to dinning desk on promanade, waited on one other couple in process booking when I arrived.  She actually had a computer hooked to reservation system.

Let me say I did pre-criuse book 3 of the resturants for the day and time slot I wanted.  So when I told the host I wanted to cancel and replace with UDP she said that was smart and no problem.  Just might be 4-5 days to see refund.  Had by end of 3rd day.  Refundable on-board credit. 

Most of the rest of the avalible time slots were mostly early or later.  We are good with early so it worked for us the rest of the nights.

Promenade host could no book any Izume Habachi and told we had to go there and they'd open at 11am.  Well I was about ready to give up when they finally opened at 18 after.  Only one avalible slot, but it didn't work for us so we passed.

This was our first experiance with an UDP and it is a lot of rich food.  We are generally happy with MDR and CK dinners, so if we venture again I think I'll stick with a 3 night package or just purchase 1 or 2.  Yet to be seen.

I will say that if I do a package again I will definately prepay for Habachi very early in the process and transfer to the package onboard.

Loved Wonderland.

Good to know. I've booked hibachi, wonderland and 150 and also the 3 night dining.  I think I will leave hibachi alone, go to any kiosk, and try to have them put our ind times in for the other 2 and change our Jamie's lunch to evening.  Then I will cancel our individual reservations.  If this doesn't work I will cancel the 3 night pkg since it isn't worth it to me to change the times. We are on at 11 so hopefully this shouldn't be a problem.  Jane