Misleading Premium Beverage Package Discounts

I had an email from RC yesterday with the banner that I had been specially invited to receive discounts. Hmm...

What they are offering is the premium package at £71 .34 per person(with the normal cost showing as £95.11per person) with 50% off for the second person so a total of £107.01

Before this so called discount it was £54.27 per person which makes it £108.54 for two persons.

WOW a total saving of £1.53!

Yes, that is a pretty standard "non-sale" sale.  I got a similar offer.  My take away is to avoid buying the unlimited beverage package if you are watching your money.  There are other ways of getting free or reduced price drinks, and no need to buy bottled water except on excursions when you are off the ship. (Or pack your own!) Have a great cruise!

There was also a different sale before the buy one get one 50%, what was that discount?  Looks like in the neighborhood of 43% off.  New sale looks like 25% off and get the second for 50% of that. So you lose 18% (43-25) on the first one and get and extra 19.5%(62.5-43) on the second netting you about a 1.5% savings.  What you are seeing.

What you saw previous day was also not full price.

Bill

Cruise fare also goes that way. Last month they advertised 50% discount, this month 40% discount, but if you make a dummy booking, the fare in both months for a certain cruise date and destination almost the same. Maybe only 10 or 20 dollars difference. Always check the final quotation from RC in a booking.

24 minutes ago, Sunny_D said:

Do the actual prices for drink packages vary that much at different times before sailing? Or is it just different clever ways of marketing that always end up with a very similar final price?

They do go up and down and sometimes significantly.  What happens is someone gets used to the final price, then they receive new marketing and have the expectation that it is based from the last net price they saw which almost certainly already included other marketing promotions.

It will always be better than the price onboard.

What people ASSUME when they see the buy one get one 50% off is that the price listed is for the first person and the second gets 50% off THAT.  What it SAYS is the price listed reflects all discounts.  So a sale price of $75 means both pay that, $150 for 2.  The non sale price is $100, first pays $100, second pays $50 for a total of……

$150!

Yeah, they've had nothing but Non Sales for nearly a year now. I think it's the price we pay for the fares being so low for so long after the restart. Now fares are creeping back up and the sales are basically in name only. The trend wont stop until demand levels out or dips. Until then we should probably just get used to it.

I just did this yesterday - the refreshment package had dropped $3 on a 10 day cruise, so worth it to cancel and repurchase at the new price right away. My refunds generally show up on my credit card within 3 days, but that's on your credit card company.

One note - if you cancel, repurchase immediately. We had a thread a couple of weeks ago where the price was going up it seemed like every 4 hours. Also, things like excursions, The Key, and some dining packages can sell out, so you don't want to miss by a click.