What's your preferred cabin type?

JLMoran

OK, there's been the whole discussion here about everyone's favorite ship, and the recent discussion about the upcoming 2019 Caribbean bookings got me wondering -- what is everyone's preferred cabin type, and why? Kind of an "it depends" question, I know, but for most of your cruises, what do you typically get?

I know Matt loves his inside rooms, not only for price but also for the dark that lets him and his family sleep as long as they want / need. I gather that Kris also prefers inside rooms, at least on the port-heavy trips that don't offer a lot of scenery.

Myself, I can't imagine not having at least a window to look out and give some natural light and a sense of day vs. night. So I'd say my own minimum is an Ocean View, or on an Oasis class ship a Park View. I might be able to tolerate a virtual balcony room if the monitor used for the fake window is really high quality and doesn't look like a giant TV turned on its side, but I think I'd have to see one in person as part of a tour before taking a gamble like that. Especially since the space in those rooms is really tight, and at 6' 3" and slightly klutzy I need maneuvering room. ;)

Certainly for trips like Alaska or the Mediterranean, I'd prefer a true balcony that I can go out on and enjoy the view as well as the ocean smell and feel of the wind. But even on less scenic or climate-friendly trips, that window really matters.

Guest toodle68

It really depends on the cruise. On our recent Liberty cruise we went for a Balcony and was upgraded to a JS for a little more. We absolutely loved the JS.. but I am also fugal with money so will only book it if it is a small increase.  For our Majesty cruises, we have always gone with a cheap interior cabin.

For me, it really comes down to the price differences between types. I can't justify a JS when it is 800 more per person than a balcony etc..  For our trip on Adventurer next year, because it is port intensive, we decided on an outside cabin which saved several hundred.  For the Alaska cruise in 2019, we will get a balcony or better regardless of the cost..

But to answer the question, we would pick a JS every time if we had the money..

Curious if anyone has been in the front cabins on the Adventurer type ships.  

I have done mostly inside, cpl times ocean view and the last time had a virtual balcony.

I have to tell you, it really looks and feels like looking out a door/window!

Person I travelled with was very apprehensive about having an inside room, but she couldn't get over how real it felt.....from the sound to the views etc.

It's defn an option I would suggest ppl check out as these rooms aren't usually much more than an inside room.

Money is always a concern for us, so for our two cruises on Freedom, both times we stayed in an inside, promenade room.

I liked it, but was envious of those on the outside, and I wasn't thrilled with squeezing my fat arse into that shower.

Then I saw some 'scopes of the balconies and suites and was blown away.

So, I have my heart and mind set on a balcony room next time.  I've convinced myself that it'll be worth it!

I have done mostly inside, cpl times ocean view and the last time had a virtual balcony.

I have to tell you, it really looks and feels like looking out a door/window!

Person I travelled with was very apprehensive about having an inside room, but she couldn't get over how real it felt.....from the sound to the views etc.

It's defn an option I would suggest ppl check out as these rooms aren't usually much more than an inside room.

What ships have the virtual balcony?  I haven't seen one yet.

We started with inside down in the depths of the ship.

We then tried a Window cabin but have to say never really looked out of it.

Then we went to a Balcony - and my hubby was hooked and now won't go back to an inside.

For me I'm quite happy in an inside.

JS - I liked the large walk in cupboard with all it's extra shelves and somewhere to get change so we didn't need to draw the curtains.

What ships have the virtual balcony?  I haven't seen one yet.

This post describes the virtual balcony rooms and also lists the ships that offer them: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/08/14/royal-caribbean-virtual-balcony-everything-you-wanted-know

From the post:

Ships that offer a virtual balcony

The following Royal Caribbean ships have a virtual balcony stateroom

• Navigator of the Seas
  • Quantum of the Seas
  • Anthem of the Seas
  • Ovation of the Seas
  • Harmony of the Seas
  • Voyager of the Seas
  • Explorer of the Seas

I really feel like calling it a "virtual balcony" is a misnomer. It's really a "virtual ocean view", as there's no balcony space to step out on and the 4k LED TV just acts like a virtual window.

A real balcony just can't be beat for me, as long as it's a cruise where the weather and scenery make it worthwhile. I can have breakfast there each morning, watch the scenery from it and not be limited by the boundaries of a window or obstructing wall, take photos without worrying about reflections off glass (and not feel like I have to race to the helipad or other open area to get such a shot), leave that door open so I get the breeze and salt air while I'm sleeping; the list goes on!

But as I said before, on other cruises where the climate is less accommodating or there just isn't as much scenery to watch, I'd likely be OK with a panoramic ocean view or maybe even that virtual ocean view, mainly for the natural sunlight.

Chalk it up to working in an office building all day every work day. I want to get away from fluorescent lighting and back to the natural stuff! ;)

One other comment on my disinclination for a Virtual Balcony -- if any of you are fans of the TV series "Black Mirror", watch the episode "15,000,000 Merits". I feel like I'll be reminded of that every time I wake up in my little darkened box and look at the virtual balcony. ;)

Explorer of the Seas has virtual balconies because I am booked in one for an Alaskan cruise in May. I will let you all know what I think.

I have to get an Ocean View. I never, ever utilize a balcony, so the money is wasted for one. Since I am a solo cruiser a suite, no matter what size, just wouldn't be used by me. There are certain cruise lines and ships that I have researched and found the largest Ocean Views. I just got off a Princess cruise to the A B C islands and I had a 245 square foot ocean view cabin. Some of the people at the M&G came to see it because they wouldn't believe me when I told them how large it was.

Research is necessary to find the weird shaped cabins, the larger cabins and the best view. With Royal Matt helps with that in all of his posts about unusual cabins.

Candie

I'm pretty much an inside guy unless I can get a good rate on a better category. I'd rather cruise twice as much. Where the cabin is on the ship is more important to me than the type of cabin. When my son was younger and took basis, we were drawn to balconies as we spent more time in our rooms. Lately, however, we've been drawn to itineraries with few sea days and end up spending very little time there.

We are balcony people, preferably a JS. The JS offers just enough extra space to make it livable in our opinion. Because we book so early we can usually book a JS for a very reasonable rate. Regardless of if we upgrade to a JS, a balcony is a must for us. I spend at least 45 minutes several times per day on sea days just watching g the ocean go by.

We are balcony people, preferably a JS. The JS offers just enough extra space to make it livable in our opinion. Because we book so early we can usually book a JS for a very reasonable rate. Regardless of if we upgrade to a JS, a balcony is a must for us. I spend at least 45 minutes several times per day on sea days just watching g the ocean go by.

I agree with FloatMe, the Junior Suites are the best.  So much room and storage space.   The walk-in closet allows you to get those suitcases, backpacks, shoes, wet swimming suits, jackets and other junk totally out of sight.  And the balcony is really roomy, with even a chaise lounge.  I've stayed in much more expensive rooms on other ships with way less space.  And IMO, once you have a balcony you'll never go back.  To me, it's half the fun of a cruise.

It has always been balcony mid ship for us. And I agree, once you have a balcony you'll never want to go back. Once we were on a family cruise and booked an ocean view with everyone else and we missed the balcony so much. We have not gone back to anything lower since. It's a great place to escape the crowds. I think it depends how much time you spend in your stateroom though when you are trying to justify your choice and the cost. This August we are trying the JS on Harmony. Cannot wait to compare especially after reading some of these posts about all the extra space.

There are certain cruise lines and ships that I have researched and found the largest Ocean Views. I just got off a Princess cruise to the A B C islands and I had a 245 square foot ocean view cabin. Some of the people at the M&G came to see it because they wouldn't believe me when I told them how large it was.

I don't suppose you could share some of this knowledge?  With two kids, every extra square foot matters.  

I have been on 4 cruises and have always had a balcony and once a JS. I'm from England but think if i'm going to the Caribbean a  balcony is a must! I'm on independence in april from sunny England - to Paris and Bruge. I will be trying out a promenade stateroom for the first time so I cud interested to see how I find that and how I will cope without a balcony. Only time will tell.

Also in May I'm on Rhapsody and have a PV which is an ocean view stateroom but with a much larger window so im very excited to try this and periscope too. find me at j_keeble

I have been on 4 cruises and have a,ways had a balcony and once a JS. I'm from England but think if i'm going to the Caribbean a and balcony is a must! I'm on independence in april from sunny England and will be trying out a promenade stateroom for the first time so I cud interested to see how I find that and how I will cope without a balcony. Only time will tell.

It sounds as if you maybe on the same cruise as we are.

Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.

We also have a Balcony room and looking forward to the many sea days back to the UK.

Lots of chilling and reading on there during these days ---- heaven !!