birth certificate vs. passport

csrsue

My husband and I are taking a late August cruise with his sister and her husband to celebrate his 80th birthday.  We all have passports except for the birthday boy.  He has a state-issued birth certificate (from State of California - certified).  Is there any problem with that?  I know he used it a long time ago (maybe 15 years ago) when we all cruised together and there was not a problem and I did check the RC site and it stated that while passports were preferred, that birth certificates are acceptable.   We've suggested that he get a passport, but it looks like he's not going to.  Just looking for advice if anyone has actually traveled recently with the certificate instead of a passport.

Thanks!

If  your cruise is a closed loop (starts and ends in the US) the birth certificate is ok. He will need a certified copy or original and another form of government ID such as a drivers license. On our last week's cruise to the Western Caribbean there were a number of people with birth certificates and for disembarkation they had a separate line for them where they went through the "old" customs stations instead of the facial recognition. The passport is the safe bet if you get stranded in a foreign country. It is difficult but not impossible to get back to the US without one.

There's not a problem with using it for the cruise. 

Having said that, I would always recommend having a passport when leaving the US. If for whatever reason you may need to fly home, a passport is needed.

The passengers on the Norwegian ship that ran around and had to put off the passengers in Dominican Republic were delayed getting home if they had a birth certificate.

Another issue is that they will have to wait at re-entry for an actual customs agent vs using the facial recognition machine (much faster)

14 minutes ago, csrsue said:

My husband and I are taking a late August cruise with his sister and her husband to celebrate his 80th birthday.  We all have passports except for the birthday boy.  He has a state-issued birth certificate (from State of California - certified).  Is there any problem with that?  I know he used it a long time ago (maybe 15 years ago) when we all cruised together and there was not a problem and I did check the RC site and it stated that while passports were preferred, that birth certificates are acceptable.   We've suggested that he get a passport, but it looks like he's not going to.  Just looking for advice if anyone has actually traveled recently with the certificate instead of a passport.

Thanks!

Just fruit for thought:  While a B.C. or D.L. is good enough, consider the following:

If anyone that doesn't have a passport gets seriously sick or injured, while in a foreign port and needs to be airlifted back to the U.S. on an emergency basis, it may take an extended amount of time to get authorization to fly back to the U.S.  Why?  Because it is the law that passengers have a passport to enter the U.S. via aircraft (or not returning to the same port of embarkation).  If it is a real emergency, waiting on the an embassy to give the authorization could be detrimental to one's health. 

It's always, as far as I'm concerned, a good idea to have your/a passport while cruising and while in port.  

Again, just fruit for thought!

8 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Here is a twist. What if you have a Passport Card and send in your passport to get renewed and it doesn't come back in time for your trip. Will your passport card suffice?

When I renewed my passport last year the forms indicated I was to return all passports (card & book) with the renewal application.  So I sent my card and my book to them.  

However to answer your question, a passport card is good enough to cruise with but you can't fly home if there is any reason to mid-cruise.  Only passport books can fly.  

I have a 2 month window to renew my passport and I was looking for back up plans. Any other suggestions.  They say an expedited passport takes about 7 weeks and that's cutting it close. I'm not sure that I could find my birth certificate  but I guess I could send for one before I send in my passport. 

7 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I have a 2 month window to renew my passport and I was looking for back up plans. Any other suggestions.  They say an expedited passport takes about 7 weeks and that's cutting it close. I'm not sure that I could find my birth certificate  but I guess I could send for one before I send in my passport. 

I wouldn't count on what I'm about to say:  We, many of my family and friends, to include my wife and I have never waited for more than 3-4 weeks for the regular turn-around of a passport (not "expedited").  Having said all that, if your state issues "Enhanced" driver's licenses, that should be good enough to cruise with.  But, I don't travel, ever, without my passport in hand.  

12 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I renewed mine in early January, and got it back in less then 3 weeks. Not saying it will be the same for you, but others on here got there’s fast also.

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

My hubs and I applied for our passports [not expedited] on Jan 24 and received them on Feb 18th and 23rd. I was so pleasantly surprised with the quick turnaround. I bet just a renewal may be the same or faster. Of course no guarantees but ...

Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate all the info.  I don't know why he doesn't want to get a passport.  He doesn't travel very much, I know.  So that may be the reason.  He has a California ID card. 

His wife (my sister-in-law) and my husband and myself all have passports.  

We are just doing a short four-day cruise from Los Angeles to Catalina, CA, and then to Ensenada and back to Los Angeles.  

Sorry to hijack your topic, but this got me thinking...  I have 3 teen boys (14,15,&16) I'm bringing in July on our their first cruise.  It's on liberty out of Galveston.  I was going to have each fly with the birth certificate and the 16 year old also has his driver's license.  Each of the teens will only have one biological parent present.  Does this create a problem?  We just don't want to add the expense of a passport for each of them.  Plus, it's less than 4 months away.

4 hours ago, need2cruz said:

Sorry to hijack your topic, but this got me thinking...  I have 3 teen boys (14,15,&16) I'm bringing in July on our their first cruise.  It's on liberty out of Galveston.  I was going to have each fly with the birth certificate and the 16 year old also has his driver's license.  Each of the teens will only have one biological parent present.  Does this create a problem?  We just don't want to add the expense of a passport for each of them.  Plus, it's less than 4 months away.

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/passports-for-closed-loop-cruise.html

I don't think, BUT I'M NOT SURE, that it is a problem having only one biological parent present.  While in the Army, my wife would travel all over the world with my two daughters without me.  My oldest daughter, the same.  We've crossed borders many many times and I don't remember, ever, being asked if both parents are present.  But, you may want to call the Department of State to find out for sure.

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/contact.html

8 hours ago, need2cruz said:

Single Parent Cruise Advice: Your Questions Answered (cruisecritic.com)

Consent Form For Minor Children to Travel Without Parent/Legal (royalcaribbean.com)

My advice:  I am a single parent and cruised a lot with my son starting at the age of 8.  On about 1/2 of the cruises I got people asking for a release form from his mother.  I would tell them there was not a mother and they could not understand and try to tell me I needed a release form.  I would ask for a supervisor and things would be OK with me and my son having a passport.  What this story tells you is they will ask for things you do not need.  The birth certificate will be fine as long as there is at least one parent there.  I would also have the form above signed by the other parent even though you should not need it but it would be safe.  Then when it is convenient for you I would recommend your boys getting a passport, my son has had one and it comes in handy for both travels and additional for of ID.

2 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

Single Parent Cruise Advice: Your Questions Answered (cruisecritic.com)

Consent Form For Minor Children to Travel Without Parent/Legal (royalcaribbean.com)

My advice:  I am a single parent and cruised a lot with my son starting at the age of 8.  On about 1/2 of the cruises I got people asking for a release form from his mother.  I would tell them there was not a mother and they could not understand and try to tell me I needed a release form.  I would ask for a supervisor and things would be OK with me and my son having a passport.  What this story tells you is they will ask for things you do not need.  The birth certificate will be fine as long as there is at least one parent there.  I would also have the form above signed by the other parent even though you should not need it but it would be safe.  Then when it is convenient for you I would recommend your boys getting a passport, my son has had one and it comes in handy for both travels and additional for of ID.

I appreciate all the info.  The boys' biological father isn't even allowed to have overnight visits with them, but I'm sure if he could in some way make this trip difficult, he will.  I know to get the passport, he'd have to sign off.  That's another reason we haven't even gone that route.  

6 hours ago, need2cruz said:

I appreciate all the info.  The boys' biological father isn't even allowed to have overnight visits with them, but I'm sure if he could in some way make this trip difficult, he will.  I know to get the passport, he'd have to sign off.  That's another reason we haven't even gone that route.  

If you have full legal and physical just take that paperwork with you.  I never put my sons name on anything and if the cruise line got pushy I just brought out the divorce papers.  That is also how I got the passport.