Jump to content

Is It Even Worth It Anymore??


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

Going on our first ever Alaska cruise in 74 days. I just received a "Royal Up" email. I currently have a nice standard outward facing balcony room that my MEI travel agent booked for me. I see that among all the room classes, a Junior Suite is priced at $200 PP on the Ovation. Is it even worth it to bid the minimum?

I understand, what is there to lose. I was curious if numbers of passengers now cruising makes a minimum bid no longer worth it. Back when we cruised last October, capacity was barley 40% and your chance at a RU bid was almost a sure thing. How about now? Thoughts??

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If and that is a BIG "IF" is an extra $400 worth it for a JS? My only fear is that if I ever do get a JS, I'll never want to go back! 🤣 That's already happened with a inside cabin. I always used to book a inside cabin. I decided to try a outside balcony once and have never ever booked an inside cabin again. That's the fear if I keep moving up in room class 🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Hello all,

Going on our first ever Alaska cruise in 74 days. I just received a "Royal Up" email. I currently have a nice standard outward facing balcony room that my MEI travel agent booked for me. I see that among all the room classes, a Junior Suite is priced at $200 PP on the Ovation. Is it even worth it to bid the minimum?

I understand, what is there to lose. I was curious if numbers of passengers now cruising makes a minimum bid no longer worth it. Back when we cruised last October, capacity was barley 40% and your chance at a RU bid was almost a sure thing. How about now? Thoughts??

 

One nice thing about a JS on a Quantum class ship like Ovation is 2 bathrooms, a full bath with a tub/shower, and a half bath.  The downside is the location gamble.  Some of the JS's are located directly across from the stair and elevator lobby.  It is a high traffic area.  If you are early to bed expect some boisterous clubbers walking by you cabin in the wee hours of the morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CJS2766 said:

If and that is a BIG "IF" is an extra $400 worth it for a JS? My only fear is that if I ever do get a JS, I'll never want to go back! 🤣 That's already happened with a inside cabin. I always used to book a inside cabin. I decided to try a outside balcony once and have never ever booked an inside cabin again. That's the fear if I keep moving up in room class 🤣🤣🤣

The Junior suite isn't as big of an upgrade as it is to Grand Suite.  But, 100% you won't want to go back after you experience it!🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm inclined to answer no, it's not worth it, at least not on an Alaska cruise and your first one to that destination, and especially if you're already happy with your current cabin. That $400 you're thinking of paying for a bit of extra real estate and a shot at dinner in the CK would be put to far better use (IMHO, obviously) by perhaps booking a more exciting (read "more expensive") excursion that you might not have thought of doing initially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Big Red said:

The Junior suite isn't as big of an upgrade as it is to Grand Suite.  But, 100% you won't want to go back after you experience it!🤣

 Everybody is different.   We've been in a JS twice  but we've since been back to regular balconies (Dec 21) and even inside rooms. We just got off a 7 nighter in an inside and am leaving in 2 weeks on a 12 nighter in an inside.

We booked a JS for a 40 wedding anniversary. It is about 1 and 1/4 times bigger than a regular balcony cabin and eating in the Coastal Kitchen is nice on Oasis class ships. The second time was because we were double points or two cruises away from making diamond and got a good deal.  Would I book again? Maybe or maybe not, it's nice but not that much nicer. Not sure it is worth the extra cost and we are a long, long way from D+ so the points don't matter much.  We don't spend much time in our cabins, we mostly cruise for the itinerary.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

If and that is a BIG "IF" is an extra $400 worth it for a JS? My only fear is that if I ever do get a JS, I'll never want to go back! 🤣 That's already happened with a inside cabin. I always used to book a inside cabin. I decided to try a outside balcony once and have never ever booked an inside cabin again. That's the fear if I keep moving up in room class 🤣🤣🤣

And that's how they get ya!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Basically you’re paying $400 to eat in coastal kitchen and a bathtub.  You won’t get double points. Pass

Now if you were originally booked in a JS and got an upgrade offer, that’s different. 
 

Keep in mind it’s Alaska. You’ll spend little time in your cabin. Now I’ll confess, I do have a JS on Radiance in Alaska this May. We’re bringing our 22 year old recent college grad with us so the extra room will be nice. It’s also a coveted aft corner balcony. 
 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look into the perks that come with a suite, such as priority boarding and embarkation.   You will have access to the Concierge that books your shore excursions and handles other things that keeps you from standing in the long line at the service desk.   There is always an evening reception in the Suite Lounge with free drinks and snacks.  It is up to you.  Personally, I always book a suite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...