Unvaccinated Children under 12

Hello:

We are leaving on the Adventure of the Seas on Dec. 20 from Galveston with my 2 unvaccinated Grandkids ages 7 & 9.  I understand ( I think) that the kids need a PCR Covid test 3 days prior to boarding so that mean they need to be tested on Friday, Dec. 17.  I also understand (I think) that Royal Caribbean will not accept the Rapid Covid test so that means that the test results will take 3-5 days .  So that being said, we might not get the results in time to board for our cruise on Dec. 20.  I am extremely stressed right now and I don’t know what to do.  Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

13 minutes ago, Victoria Lyn said:

I also understand (I think) that Royal Caribbean will not accept the Rapid Covid test so that means that the test results will take 3-5 days .

Get the kids tested early on the 17th with a normal PCR test. Every time I've taken a PCR test I have had results back in less than 48 hours. This is dependent on where you live, who you get tested through and lots of other factors, of course.

There ARE rapid PCR tests out there which are acceptable.  I would research those and tentatively make appointments for the kids on Dec 19 for the rapid PCR tests.  This is the backup plan if you haven't gotten your PCR results from the tests taken on the 17th back by Dec 19 (day before the cruise).  You may have to pay $$ for these tests.

Don't forget to get all the adults tested beginning 2 days before boarding as well!

6 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

Most of the PCR tests given now have a quick turn around. Ours was less than 24 hours. Early on it took a while to get results but now with all the labs and COVID actually on the low side the test results are quicker. We used CVS for ours in the beginning.

It definitely depends on where you live.  Covid is ridiculously high here in Minnesota, and regular PCR tests are taking over 72 hours to come back.  I'd definitely be searching out a rapid PCR option up here.

Is anyone in New York area facing the same issue, mine is a bit different, although for RC it doesn't matter because my little one (11 year old) will be fully vaccinated before the cruise, but only about 10 days before so it doesn't meet the requirement of at least 2 weeks before cruise. 

This means all 3 of us must get tested 2-3 days before. I am also nervous if we can get the results that quickly, do we have to ask that we get results right away and that we will be traveling? Our cruise is on Friday, it means we have to be tested on Wednesday and hope that results become available?

10 hours ago, TBruce77 said:

Is anyone in New York area facing the same issue, mine is a bit different, although for RC it doesn't matter because my little one (11 year old) will be fully vaccinated before the cruise, but only about 10 days before so it doesn't meet the requirement of at least 2 weeks before cruise. 

This means all 3 of us must get tested 2-3 days before. I am also nervous if we can get the results that quickly, do we have to ask that we get results right away and that we will be traveling? Our cruise is on Friday, it means we have to be tested on Wednesday and hope that results become available?

As fully vaccinated , you can only test up to TWO days before the cruise, so no earlier than Wednesday, but you can get rapid tests.

‘Unfortunately, because your child won’t be at least 14 days past their second vaccine when your cruise departs, Royal will NOT consider them to be vaccinated at all and they’ll have to follow the new unvaccinated protocols.  They’ll have to get a PCR test, but can get it up to 3 days before the cruise, so as early as Tuesday.  Also, your child will NOT be able to get off the ship at any ports unless they’re booked on one of Royal’s excursions at that port.  They’ll also NOT be able to go into any areas of the ships that say they’re for “vaccinated only” not will they be able to go to any show times for “vaccinated only” as they won’t get a band that fully vaccinated people get when boarding.

Hello, 

In my recent experience traveling with my children, the turnaround time is really determined by where you are and the type of test being used. 

Regular PCR tests take the longest as the test protocol takes about nearly 8 hours to run. 

RT-PCR or reverse transcriptase PCR testing takes a shorter period of time to run. 

Above are examples of NAAT or Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests. Which all are accepted by RCL. 

Walgreen uses the Abbott's NAAT test called ID NOw. which they say is run in 1 hour. 

There are other companies and labs that develop their own NAAT. 

RCL also accepts antigen tests such as Abbott's Binaxnow (again this must be supervised). This is a later flow test (which is basically like a pregnancy test). Two lines means positive and single line is negative.  

I personally on my most recent sailing used a website called curative.com which uses RT PCR. We actually didn't have to pay for the testing. Went in after work at around 330pm and had results for the whole family by 6 am the following day. I had multiple positive experiences with curative not for just cruising but also for my kids who had to provide a negative test to return back to school after a possible exposure to covid. I hope this helps 

8 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

As fully vaccinated , you can only test up to TWO days before the cruise, so no earlier than Wednesday, but you can get rapid tests.

‘Unfortunately, because your child won’t be at least 14 days past their second vaccine when your cruise departs, Royal will NOT consider them to be vaccinated at all and they’ll have to follow the new unvaccinated protocols.  They’ll have to get a PCR test, but can get it up to 3 days before the cruise, so as early as Tuesday.  Also, your child will NOT be able to get off the ship at any ports unless they’re booked on one of Royal’s excursions at that port.  They’ll also NOT be able to go into any areas of the ships that say they’re for “vaccinated only” not will they be able to go to any show times for “vaccinated only” as they won’t get a band that fully vaccinated people get when boarding.

Does this mean No Coco Bay?

1 hour ago, leesam82 said:

Hello, 

In my recent experience traveling with my children, the turnaround time is really determined by where you are and the type of test being used. 

Regular PCR tests take the longest as the test protocol takes about nearly 8 hours to run. 

RT-PCR or reverse transcriptase PCR testing takes a shorter period of time to run. 

Above are examples of NAAT or Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests. Which all are accepted by RCL. 

Walgreen uses the Abbott's NAAT test called ID NOw. which they say is run in 1 hour. 

There are other companies and labs that develop their own NAAT. 

RCL also accepts antigen tests such as Abbott's Binaxnow (again this must be supervised). This is a later flow test (which is basically like a pregnancy test). Two lines means positive and single line is negative.  

I personally on my most recent sailing used a website called curative.com which uses RT PCR. We actually didn't have to pay for the testing. Went in after work at around 330pm and had results for the whole family by 6 am the following day. I had multiple positive experiences with curative not for just cruising but also for my kids who had to provide a negative test to return back to school after a possible exposure to covid. I hope this helps 

Curative sounds great, but not a single location in New York. 

3 hours ago, TBruce77 said:

Does this mean No Coco Bay?

54 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

Cococay they are allowed to get off without an excursion since it is just cruise ships on the island.

just make sure to get the earliest appointment possible as soon as you get the note in your cabin to make an appointment for their last day of cruise Covid test if it falls on the same day as CocoCay.  Most people who’s kids had appointments after the first hour of testing never got them back until afternoon on our October cruise and they missed half the day at CocoCay.  

7 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

just make sure to get the earliest appointment possible as soon as you get the note in your cabin to make an appointment for their last day of cruise Covid test if it falls on the same day as CocoCay.  Most people who’s kids had appointments after the first hour of testing never got them back until afternoon on our October cruise and they missed half the day at CocoCay.  

Thank you so much, we are going on 4 day cruise, so there is only 1 test I believe, before embarking. Does it get super crowded, luckily my son wants to head out to quiet zone and relax in hammocks because "6th grade is really stressful"... 

On 12/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, ChrisK2793 said:

Why wouldn’t they let kids off at CoCay after getting tested? It’s only a re-entry requirement for US and you are still allowed to freely roam ship after taking test…

54 minutes ago, MattG said:

This doesn’t make sense for me either, our Coco Cay visit was Day 5, and we were tested on Day 7. 

55 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Why wouldn’t they let kids off at CoCay after getting tested? It’s only a re-entry requirement for US and you are still allowed to freely roam ship after taking test…

Our day 7 happened to fall on the same day as CocoCay …… and I agree it was so stupid they wouldn’t let the kids off the ship after their test, but instead made them wait hours for results. They totally ruined the CocoCay day for about half the families on the ship.  We got lucky and were in the earliest testing group who got our kid’s results back quick and only lost 60 minutes of CocoCay time.

33 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Our day 7 happened to fall on the same day as CocoCay …… and I agree it was so stupid they wouldn’t let the kids off the ship after their test, but instead made them wait hours for results. They totally ruined the CocoCay day for about half the families on the ship.  We got lucky and were in the earliest testing group who got out kid’s results back quick and only lost 60 minutes of CocoCay time.

Well, really appreciate the tip! I checked our itinerary for upcoming sailing and sure enough, last day is at CocoCay. Will be sure to schedule early, but if they try to keep us on, will also ask for that policy in writing. Seems like people are just making up Covid policies on the fly these days.

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Well, really appreciate the tip! I checked our itinerary for upcoming sailing and sure enough, last day is at CocoCay. Will be sure to schedule early, but if they try to keep us on, will also ask for that policy in writing. Seems like people are just making up Covid policies on the fly these days.

Wouldn't it be better to call and ask RC to send you this policy in writing if there is one, and if there isn't they can also write that you can disembark while waiting for the results since the results are for re-entry to USA not for coco cay, it seems like?