Jump to content

Kennedy Space Center - Mass cancellation?


N54
 Share

Recommended Posts

Have a cruise on Anthem and will be stopping at Port Canaveral on 11/16/21. Booked our excursion for KSC a few weeks back, but just got an email saying they've cancelled the excursion for all guests. No explanation why when I called. 

Anyone else had this issue? This is the ONE excursion I really wanted to do :/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal has been weird with Port Canaveral excursions.  There are some reports of few if any excursions being offered.

Maybe because Florida has or had terrible COVID case counts?  Maybe the CDC said to them they can't offer excursions in hotspots.  Or maybe their lawyers said it.

Thank you for the response.

Yeah they couldn't give me a real answer. We called KSC directly and they seemed really confused and bummed that Royal cancelled everyone's tours, they were unaware, and said they've been trying hard to get more guests into the center since they haven't been as busy as they need to be. Really sucks all the way around.

I wonder if there will be transportation to KSC from the port that I can use and buy tickets myself versus going through RCI. Has anyone done this at Port Canaveral in the past?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, N54 said:

Thank you for the response.

Yeah they couldn't give me a real answer. We called KSC directly and they seemed really confused and bummed that Royal cancelled everyone's tours, they were unaware, and said they've been trying hard to get more guests into the center since they haven't been as busy as they need to be. Really sucks all the way around.

I wonder if there will be transportation to KSC from the port that I can use and buy tickets myself versus going through RCI. Has anyone done this at Port Canaveral in the past?

Uber or Lyft.

About a $35 ride each way.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Doak said:

Is that run by FEDS? It is probably on them and not rcl.

ABOUT KSC

DELAWARE NORTH OPERATES THE VISITOR COMPLEX AS A NASA CONTRACTOR 

As a NASA contractor, we take great pride in operating the visitor complex providing hospitality services for Kennedy Space Center. From operating the Kennedy Space Center Bus Tour to serving lunch at the Moon Rock Cafe, our goal is to provide stewardship and hospitality in special places dedicated to creating memorable guest experiences as unique as the destination. The visitor complex is completely funded by visitor-generated revenue and no U.S. tax dollars are used to provide visitor access to the historic birthplace of American spaceflight. As a Smithsonian Affiliate, we offer the chance to view artifacts of NASA’s Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle Programs in the context of exhibits and attractions that tell the NASA story. 

The places Delaware North operates, including hotels, resorts, cultural attractions and parks, make countless memories for millions of guests each and every year. We strive to bring rare attention to detail at every property in our care, and for each and every individual we serve. 

 

Thank you for your visit! All guests are encouraged to make advanced daily admission purchases online. All guests, including those vaccinated against COVID-19, are required to wear face coverings in all indoor locations. Guests who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are not required to wear face coverings outdoors. We continue increased frequency of sanitization and disinfection efforts, and some attractions, tours and dining areas remain temporarily unavailable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@twangsteror anyone else, we are doing the RCB group cruise on November 21, and return November 28th, (sunday) and our flight home isnt untll 8pm at night, we looked at the excursion as it was available through the cruise planner, but its kind of pricey etc, and it states they need a certain amount of people for the tour to go,  so was looking to go on our own, I have no problem spending the $ on an uber/lyft, but my question is, any idea what to do with luggage /bags while we did that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cman2020 said:

@twangsteror anyone else, we are doing the RCB group cruise on November 21, and return November 28th, (sunday) and our flight home isnt untll 8pm at night, we looked at the excursion as it was available through the cruise planner, but its kind of pricey etc, and it states they need a certain amount of people for the tour to go,  so was looking to go on our own, I have no problem spending the $ on an uber/lyft, but my question is, any idea what to do with luggage /bags while we did that.

 

How many in your party?  Rent a car maybe?  Lock luggage in the trunk.  

I wonder if Harmony will offer luggage valet when it begins service at PCN.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

How many in your party?  Rent a car maybe?  Lock luggage in the trunk.  

I wonder if Harmony will offer luggage valet when it begins service at PCN.  

4 ( 2 adults/2 children) I would normally rent a car, but the rental prices because of car shortages/ all the other stuff going on, are insanity right now. I keep checking! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, cman2020 said:

4 ( 2 adults/2 children) I would normally rent a car, but the rental prices because of car shortages/ all the other stuff going on, are insanity right now. I keep checking! 

 

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

How many in your party?  Rent a car maybe?  Lock luggage in the trunk.  

I wonder if Harmony will offer luggage valet when it begins service at PCN.  

I take that back I just found a decent deal on a rental, so i booked it! wasn't that last time I checked !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They cancelled that tour the week of 9/26 as well, my mother was suppose to go on it.  We were on Oasis.  The first reason given was because were were coming into port later and it would not allow for much time at Kennedy.  Then one of the crew said that Kennedy would stay open for the cruise ships at times but there was just not enough guests to merit keeping it open so it was cancelled.  They offered 20% off any other tour, which there were only two left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So our travel agent said Royal basically wants to control who goes where when they're off the ship, due to covid.. So they cancelled the KSC tour and just said that's why, which makes zero sense. What a pain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Royal is a middleman and wants to make money.  If they can't negotiate low rates why sell something and lose money paying for the bus charter?

Maybe KSC can't offer the discounts to Royal right now that Royal wants to see.  

Maybe bus charters couldn't or wouldn't comply with protocols, like requiring bus drivers to be vaccinated.

Bus companies in FL can't require vaccines or they'll face the wrath of the state of FL so that's a distinct possibility.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal is a middleman and wants to make money.  If they can't negotiate low rates why sell something and lose money paying for the bus charter?

Maybe KSC can't offer the discounts to Royal right now that Royal wants to see.  

Maybe bus charters couldn't or wouldn't comply with protocols, like requiring bus drivers to be vaccinated.

Bus companies in FL can't require vaccines or they'll face the wrath of the state of FL so that's a distinct possibility.  

Valid points all around, thanks. I'm hopeful that if I go and visit KSC myself that Royal doesn't try to say I can't board the ship because I went on an unsanctioned tour or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Plus Royal adopts the port of call rules.  I can't imagine the state of Florida is going to say that unvaccinated can't off the ship 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I was *hoping* that would have allowed us out of the tour bubble in Alaska... no such luck. Then again, Alaska and Florida aren't exactly comparable. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed too that it recently disappeared from cruise planner. We also got notice that Port Canaveral stop is changing times and only in port 2pm - 8pm...so even less time. We didn't have it booked for this trip but would like to go one day on this itinerary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

I noticed too that it recently disappeared from cruise planner. We also got notice that Port Canaveral stop is changing times and only in port 2pm - 8pm...so even less time. We didn't have it booked for this trip but would like to go one day on this itinerary.

The 2pm arrival is probably what screwed everyone out of KSC. Thanks for that info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...